Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 03:25 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEB1786 View Post
I would have to think that having a degree from a law school that was only around for 10ish years would hurt your competitveness in interviews with people from more storied/ strong programs.
It's not too bad as long as they want to work locally. As soon as a CSOL grad leaves SC it's a whole different game. But that's the way it is with 3rd and 4th tier law schools everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 03:26 PM

243 posts, read 282,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEB1786 View Post
I would have to think that having a degree from a law school that was only around for 10ish years would hurt your competitveness in interviews with people from more storied/ strong programs.

I know quite a few people that went to CSOL and they aren't exactly competing with people from Harvard. The ones I know that do have good jobs got them through connections they had through friends and family.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:03 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,211,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock303 View Post
I know quite a few people that went to CSOL and they aren't exactly competing with people from Harvard. The ones I know that do have good jobs got them through connections they had through friends and family.
This is pretty much true for the people I know from there. The first couple of classes basically had to self-finance or take out private (as opposed to government backed) loans so they were by and large either rich kids who did not get into USC or any reputable school or people who were trying to go to law school after being in the workforce for years. One I knew worked for her husband who was a lawyer, another guy who had been a police officer got a job with a solicitor, I know some girl got an appointment through her father who was in the state legislature and others got jobs with firms who worked for their parents.

The hidden truth about the law school the last few years has been how few were actually getting jobs. The number I saw from the law school was that only a little over half had jobs that require a law degree. And then you factor in the number that went into solo practice which often meant they could not find a job with someone else or any type of judicial clerkship. And only about 85% were even employed from the year before. So that basically means that 43% had legal jobs and probably on 20-30% had jobs with firms.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:12 AM

Saw this yesterday-

No matter how you say it, law school is in serious trouble - Post and Courier

The number descriptions never quite match from source to source. Seems like the length of time they took to draw the money, how much they took out and where the $ came from constantly changes. I am starting to wonder if they did not think the amount of students/profit they had at the very height of the recession would be their normal attendance level. I think that would have been a peak # since so many people went to school since they could not find a job. And as I said earlier when applicant numbers declined they would have lost a lot of prospective students to more established and less expensive schools.

As much as the author seems to be criticizing the whole scenario I almost wonder if they just weren't prepared for reality as opposed to something too nefarious. Plus if it were that viable of a model I think they would have found someone else to step in.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:49 PM

Saw this from a site one of my friend links to-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlJxfOJFvao

Supposedly the big deal is that the school would not even teach out the current kids but farm them out to other schools. I'm guessing this went over like a fart in church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area