U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 10:34 AM

3,284 posts, read 4,285,225 times

Advertisements

So I'm reading that they are not providing refreshments at graduation and see a link to another article. They may not be enrolling new students in the fall.

Anyone have info? I know a coupe of people who attended & one who worked there. Everyone was very loyal/clique-like about the school but it has always had an odd rep. Did the alumni officially kill the Infilaw deal- or did the one partner never come up with all the funding he claimed could make it a non-profit.

I think they whole thing now appears to have been a get richer quick scheme by the original founders/investors. Two of the ramianing bought out the the 2 of the 5 with the bigger political mames a few years back. Then the three pulled out $25 million in 'profit' two years ago. Now the whole thing is on edge???

It just doesn't add up. And it ticks me off that the city gave them valuable property for a fraction of its value to establish this cash grab. I hope they find away to stay open- and I very much hope it doesn't involve one of the local colleges buying them out for even more profit. And then spending ongoing $ on propping up a school that didn't have a real market beyond subsidized facilities and federal student loans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 04:13 PM

Anyone, anyone... Beuller, Beuller???

Seems an odd scenario & while its not a large school/employer it definitely is one of the higher profile ones in the last ten years.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:24 PM

8,794 posts, read 7,589,113 times
Was an article in The State rag today. They will decide next week whether to accept a new class of students in the fall. After their failed sale to Infilaw, they are losing money and might not be able to keep their license to stay open say Robert Carr and George Kosko, the school's founders.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:24 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,044,498 times
I just don't understand why the Cof C doesn't just take them over .... makes sense to have a law school here in Charleston and Cof C is the logical acquirer as a largely liberal arts school... or even MUSC and turn it into a law school specializing medical/biotech law.

Id hate to think that the Columbia based state government ... doesn't want another law school in state to compete with the existing one...and would block any public college from saving it... Or am I wrong ?...

Last edited by cynic1; 05-07-2015 at 05:43 PM..

Old 05-08-2015, 03:56 AM

1,968 posts, read 1,797,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic1 View Post
I just don't understand why the Cof C doesn't just take them over .... makes sense to have a law school here in Charleston and Cof C is the logical acquirer as a largely liberal arts school... or even MUSC and turn it into a law school specializing medical/biotech law.

Id hate to think that the Columbia based state government ... doesn't want another law school in state to compete with the existing one...and would block any public college from saving it... Or am I wrong ?...
Why not? After all Columbia bitched enough to get another Med. school up there.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:36 AM

130 posts, read 125,835 times
You can't have a law school that specializes in a particular area of law. Those students would never pass the bar exam and the school would have a hell of a time getting accreditation. College of Charleston would face a lot of opposition if it tried to take over the law school for some unknown reason. Post & Courier had an article way back that touched on that very thing:

Quote:
State Sen. John Courson, a Richland Republican and chairman of the Senate Education Committee, said one of the reasons he wanted InfiLaw to pull its application was because of the open seats on the commission.

[snip]

Courson said his main reason for supporting InfiLaw pulling its license application in June was because the commission could have voted against the company, which would have opened the door to a plan for the public College of Charleston to take over the law school.

He said he's no longer worried about that because College of Charleston President Glenn McConnell recently assured him that he has no intention of trying to take on the law school.

Courson said he doesn't care who runs the school as long as it isn't brought into the state system.

"We don't need another public law school in this state."
The law school issued a statement saying they couldn't in good conscience admit another class of students, so I think it's just a matter of time before they close up shop.

Last edited by mtpfoodie; 05-08-2015 at 05:37 AM.. Reason: formatting errors

Old 05-08-2015, 10:53 AM

1,221 posts, read 1,044,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpfoodie View Post
You can't have a law school that specializes in a particular area of law. Those students would never pass the bar exam and the school would have a hell of a time getting accreditation. College of Charleston would face a lot of opposition if it tried to take over the law school for some unknown reason.
Of course not ... general law would have to be taught .... but as I recall .. the third year was packed with specialized courses we could take ...to dig deeper into areas of special interest.... Corporate ... public ... elder ...securities...criminal ...constitutional ... et al ...I believe they were referred to as concentrations and coordinates...but then again that Boston based law school isn't that well ranked....

Old 05-08-2015, 12:48 PM

By happenstance I ran into the one person I know that works there. I wouldn't call for a play by play but since we crossed paths...

The owners did draw the $20 something million from the school’s main account and maybe some more from another. After they did this the school started having financial issues & no longer had the reserves to fall back on.

They looked into selling & found a group that owns other for profit law schools who was interested.

A large number of alumni and faculty revolted because they felt the schools that group owns have poor reputations. The pissed alumni/faculty pretty much launched a campaign against the sale. It passed the first few hurdles including the ABA and some state board but the sale was voted down by some committee appointed by the SC House or Senate.

At this point the only hope is if the alumni & faculty decide to relent because they will either hold degrees from a non-existent school or be out of work. He thinks a large group is to set in their opposition to switch. And many are simply pissed that the owners drew so much $ from the school immediately before declaring it financially unstable. The whole controversy is whether the withdrawal caused the problems or if the downturn in law school applicants overall has been the problem since it means fewer at Charleston as well as some kids who were using Charleston as their fallback getting into better/less expensive schools. They also think the publicity has hurt their application numbers.

There was some clause in their original approval from the state barring them from seeking state funds/a merger with a state school. This would also be hurt by animosity from some at USC who felt CSOL had flooded the market with lawyers. I know a few years ago their job placement numbers were pretty bad but assumed that was a function of the economy.

If it does close expect lawsuits. I’m not sure why. But I guess when everyone involved is a lawyer that is expected.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:22 PM

130 posts, read 125,835 times
cynic1, I see what you are saying now. They could've certainly had a law clinic or set of 3L courses focused on medical malpractice/patent law/etc. When I was in law school, we had a similar type thing for transactional law.

mrpeatie, interesting info! Infilaw has said they are not going to pursue it again so I think time has run out. I've heard of other law schools closing and other than nostalgia, the only real damage to the students is that it is tough to order transcripts. Of course, it will be terrible all the way around for the faculty and staff.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:03 PM

599 posts, read 489,786 times
I would have to think that having a degree from a law school that was only around for 10ish years would hurt your competitveness in interviews with people from more storied/ strong programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area