Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 07:45 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,669,025 times

Advertisements

Full Ranking of all SC High Schools* Search South Carolina High Schools | US News

How Rankings were measured: How U.S. News Calculated the 2015 Best High Schools Rankings - US News

High Schools in Charleston (district) Charleston County School District | South Carolina | Best High Schools | US News

High Schools in Dorchester 2 (district) http://www.usnews.com/education/best...-02?int=bda6b8

*To be eligible for a state ranking, a school must be awarded a national gold or silver medal.

Last edited by Chs2014; 05-12-2015 at 07:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 09:29 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
I see Wando's ranking was killed by the disadvantaged students (16% of student body) who did not exceed state averages. Otherwise, they would have been a shoe in for a high ranking. Too bad. So, I guess if you're college bound at Wando, you're good to go but not so much if you're a disadvantaged student.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:44 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,791,891 times
I don't understand the difference between charter and magnet schools. Are they open to application from anyone who lives in Charleston County?

Pardon my ignorance... where I grew up there was one high school, one middle school, one jr high and two elementary schools and that was it.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:47 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
I don't understand the difference between charter and magnet schools. Are they open to application from anyone who lives in Charleston County?

Pardon my ignorance... where I grew up there was one high school, one middle school, one jr high and two elementary schools and that was it.
Yes, but they are competitive admissions whereas normal public schools must take all comers in that particular district. Schools like Wando have a decent number of students from Title I failing schools because students are allowed to go to another school in the district if their own school is designated as failing.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I see Wando's ranking was killed by the disadvantaged students (16% of student body) who did not exceed state averages. Otherwise, they would have been a shoe in for a high ranking. Too bad. So, I guess if you're college bound at Wando, you're good to go but not so much if you're a disadvantaged student.
Yep, I saw that too. There was no hiding it, the report basically put that front and center. What bothered me the most was the performance of other schools in the county (very low test scores/ passing rates).

Old 05-12-2015, 10:46 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,448,365 times
Good news for Wando (surprise), but we gotta find a way to get Stall, N Chas, St Johns, Burke, West Ashley, etc up to better standards. Wando may be one of the best, but Burke is one of the worst.

To me we "fail" until every school has what it needs to put and keep our students on a successful path.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:07 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,211,973 times
As much as we want to think that education reform will help every school/student suddenly achieve I'm just not seeing it from efforts on either the right or the left. Glazing at rankings/percentages and then looking at that % disadvantaged line shows that while some do a little better it really still comes down to product in-product out.

I think West Ashley will start showing improvement simply because to the growth in outer West Ashley and the fact that many of those households have come to the area for professional opportunity. That is going to raise the average income/education level of the average household.

I think most of the disadvantaged at Wando probably come from Mt P. As much as everyone jokes about Mt Plastic, the brigade of SUV driving housewives or the yuppie driven traffic jambs the truth is there is still a fair amount of economic diversity in Mt Pleasant. Add to that the number of Mt Pleasant families sending their kids to private schools & I can see where 16% might be a local number. (Meaning 16% of students since so much of Mt P is young & childless or retirees with kids out of the house.)

It would be interesting to see where the Academic Magnate students break down by actual attendance zone.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:54 PM

2,310 posts, read 2,957,926 times
The enrollment for Wando seems low, the site has it at only 3,577.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:11 PM

2012-2013 school year (stats) *Bottom print

Old 05-12-2015, 07:44 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,049,888 times
I live in outer West Ashley. WAHS would be better ranked if the kids who live here went to school there. Most out here seem to go to Magnet, SOA, or private. I know a few families who've moved because they didn't want to send their kids to our local middle schools as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: