Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 11:33 AM

269 posts, read 1,010,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokrplr View Post
This one's easy to beat...When you get tax bill, take your car to dealership and have it "appraised" as if you were trading it in...Get letter from dealership stating the actual value...Send letter back to tax office...They will adjust bill, usually cut in 1/2...I do it every year and save a fortune!

IE: last yr tax bill $745, re-adjusted to $390 b/c of high mileage and wear/tear which neither one it had
Good Idea! Thanks for the tip!!!!

Old 04-20-2008, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 8,920 times
Smile Moving from Michigan to South Carolina

I'm currently living in Southern Michigan. About an hour south of Detroit. I HATE IT HERE! Born and raised here. Moved away for a while to Minnesota. Loved the people, the place, the winters!

My oldest son will graduate HS in 2011 and that is when we will be moving.

We would like to live near the water but of course can not afford to LIVE ON the water.
I'm trying to find out everything I can about the area. I'm freaking out a bit, I haven't had a life changing moment in a few years... It's always a bit scary.

I am interested in high schools in the area. I'll have a freshman as well and a college freshman. My oldest is into art in a big way and is looking at graphic art as a possible career.

I have never been to South Carolina! All that I have heard... It's beautiful and it sounds wonderful. I need more though!

Any advise, help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:24 PM
DCS

1 posts, read 6,302 times
Default coming from San Diego CA

Lived in SD all my life. Kids born and raised here as well. How much of a culture shock would it be to move from SD to Charleston? I'm considering it for a job transfer.

My kids haven't been exposed to any racial issues or thoughts (at least at home) and was wondering how things really were back there.

I heard some wonderful things about Charleston, but varying opinons on the race issue.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:39 PM

33 posts, read 102,774 times
1. it can be difficult and expensive to get flights out of charleston
2. more and more trees are coming down (as mentioned above)
3. parking downtown is a pain
that is all!

Old 05-05-2008, 07:28 PM

82 posts, read 315,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIMBERLEIWILKINS View Post
I'm currently living in Southern Michigan. About an hour south of Detroit. I HATE IT HERE! Born and raised here. Moved away for a while to Minnesota. Loved the people, the place, the winters!
I can't believe you love Minnesota winters, no offense of course. I live in MN right now and am about to claw my eyeballs out. 6 months of arctic conditions?! No thanks!! If you love the winters here, I don't know if you will like the heat and humidity of the south... unless you're just into extremes.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 6,228 times
I’m originally from California, but been away for about 10 years. Joined the service and stayed on the east coast. I've been living in Chucktown for about a year and my top 5 that really, really irritate me is:

1)THE TRAFFIC!!!! The highways and streets are just horribly designed- granted there is nothing like the California freeway/street systems, but whoever designed this area and who is charge of future changes - STOP SMOKING DOPE and fix things! Also those who drive around here, what exactly is the issue with merging? You know that the on/exit ramps are retarded and for PETE'S SAKE, GET THE HELL OFF THAT CELL PHONE!!! if you already can't drive what makes you think you can drive and talk on the phone??!!??

2)The Education system- not just here but this ENTIRE state sucks. I recently returned to finish my masters. I will give those props who are going to school but some of those I have met from SC are about as bright as bag of plastic spoons.

3)Grocery stores - or lack of. Most of the Bi-Lo and Food Lion's are pretty ghetto. If you live in N.Chas your choices are slim- Publix way up Dorchester or the nasty Food Lion, perhaps you could heard even further down and hit the stinky Bi-Lo. There is a Whole Foods (way over in Mt.Pleasant) or Earth Fare (supposedly opening a new one in Mt.Pleasant as well)

4)Gyms/Fitness/YMCA, etc- There is a tremendous amount of OBESE people here. Some of the gyms here are really old and lack decent equipment. Summerville has a newer YMCA but the traffic on Dorchester makes it miserable to get to.

5) Taxes vs. Wages - Not sure whose to blame in this situation. The cost of living here is pretty decent and this is a beautiful area but property tax, vehicle tags, are a bit high. I work with a lot of locals and getting $10/hr is a lot to them. I don’t think I’ve made $10/hr since high school, but there are families that live off that wage. It just doesn’t seem that the locals really want to better themselves or their environment.

I rather enjoy the area, downtown is quaint, the restaurants are excellent. The beach areas are still beach areas- not loaded down with touristy crap like Panama City or Myrtle Beach. If I had to decide, I’d live back in Greenville, SC. It’s a bit more home feeling and you can get to the ATL in 2 hrs or the beautiful mountains of NC.

That’s just my 2 cents.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:35 AM

40 posts, read 147,661 times
Default Chili's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacoastbill View Post
  1. The Bugs: There are a tremendous amount of aggressive mosquitos and noseeums. They like being out when the weather is best. So if you like being out, they will be out.
  2. The lack of hills: The lanscape is flat and wet. If you are into watersports, then Chas is great. But if not, there is a lack of interesting landscape.
  3. The people: people here have little to speak about. They talk about their homes, their money, their social life. But it is difficult to get deeper
  4. The lack of bike friendly streets: Charleston is a difficult place to get on two wheels, whether motorized or not. As a former Harley rider, Charleston broke me of my passion because the drivers simply don't pay attention to you. I also was a big road biker and don't do that for the same reasons.
  5. The lack of variety in food: Charleston has some great low-country food. But, in comparison to bigger cities like Charlotte or Atlanta, there simply is not any variety. You will find the chain restaurants like Chilis and etc. You will find some really great local places. But you won't find the "big city" choices.
Oh, yeah, I really miss those fine dining places like Chili's (not)

Old 10-10-2008, 04:31 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,956,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperieux View Post
...I still cook Sunday gravy and I can't find San Marzano tomatoes anywhere. I do miss them and wish they were more available...
I live in bum-fark North Carolina (actually the coast of NC...many consider eastern NC as backwards as it comes...but I'm an eastern NC native and have never seriously contemplated living anywhere other than here save for Charleston)..........as I was saying...I live in coastal NC and can find San Marzano variety plums at most of the better supermarkets (that would be Lowe's Foods, Harris Teeter, etc.)

Good luck with the 'mater hunt!

Jay

Old 10-10-2008, 06:01 PM

330 posts, read 1,196,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
I live in bum-fark North Carolina (actually the coast of NC...many consider eastern NC as backwards as it comes...but I'm an eastern NC native and have never seriously contemplated living anywhere other than here save for Charleston)..........as I was saying...I live in coastal NC and can find San Marzano variety plums at most of the better supermarkets (that would be Lowe's Foods, Harris Teeter, etc.)

Good luck with the 'mater hunt!

Jay
Thanks for the advice, Jay. I have some good news though.. I'm happy to say that I found Cento brand San Marzanos at a Bi-Lo!

Now all I need to do is find a great spot to catch some blue crabs so I can make my famous spaghetti with crab sauce..

Old 10-11-2008, 10:38 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperieux View Post
Thanks for the advice, Jay. I have some good news though.. I'm happy to say that I found Cento brand San Marzanos at a Bi-Lo!

Now all I need to do is find a great spot to catch some blue crabs so I can make my famous spaghetti with crab sauce..

Go down along the intercoastal waterway, there are lots of public boat landings, some of which have docks that you can crab, fish or shimp off of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area