Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2008, 05:30 AM

459 posts, read 1,642,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Having considered my previous statement for a moment, I believe that while it is harsh, and does not apply to everyone, it does apply to enough (and forget socio-economic data; it could happen just as easily on Tradd St. as on Bohicket Rd.) to be my honest opinion.
Sir, I in MY honest opinion, your "previous statement" seems to suggest the people indigenous to the State of South Carolina are, as a whole too simple minded to conduct a civil conversation with someone of a differing opinion. Given your viewpoints, I'd say that you are living proof that is NOT the case.
If you look at that socio-economic data, I think you will find most of the criminal violence being committed in the Charleston area is by either by non-indigenous folks or is directly attributed to the drug trade. Most of the murders occuring in the Charleston area can be directly attributed to the drug trade. These are not people arguing over the history of slavery or the lack of social culture available in this region.
Do you know anyone who has been shot with an "unregisted Saturday-night Special"? Perhaps someone who has one they brandish on a regular basis at first hint of an argument? I don't.
I'm done.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:02 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,000,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fqtravlr View Post
Sir, I in MY honest opinion, your "previous statement" seems to suggest the people indigenous to the State of South Carolina are, as a whole too simple minded to conduct a civil conversation with someone of a differing opinion. Given your viewpoints, I'd say that you are living proof that is NOT the case.
If you look at that socio-economic data, I think you will find most of the criminal violence being committed in the Charleston area is by either by non-indigenous folks or is directly attributed to the drug trade. Most of the murders occuring in the Charleston area can be directly attributed to the drug trade. These are not people arguing over the history of slavery or the lack of social culture available in this region.
Do you know anyone who has been shot with an "unregisted Saturday-night Special"? Perhaps someone who has one they brandish on a regular basis at first hint of an argument? I don't.
I'm done.

Not too simple, too loaded with rage.

The endemic violence has many causes, but it is a cultural marker of Charleston, South Carolina, and the South in general.

As for myself, civil discourse skills have been learned via education and serving on numerous governmnetal boards "Up North", but push the right buttons and my initial response (that I work to control) is to stand-up glaring and say, "Hey, bubba.....".

It's a cultural thing, and though I'm 1/4 century removed from Charleston, I spent my formative years there.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:37 AM

40 posts, read 147,698 times
Default Spaghetti with Crab

UMMM MAN, DOES THAT SOUND GREAT!! You're inspiring me!
Thanks!
Brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperieux View Post
Thanks for the advice, Jay. I have some good news though.. I'm happy to say that I found Cento brand San Marzanos at a Bi-Lo!

Now all I need to do is find a great spot to catch some blue crabs so I can make my famous spaghetti with crab sauce..

Old 10-25-2008, 03:11 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,000,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fqtravlr View Post
I'm done.

Yes, I do.

A cousin of mine killed on Cumberland St. because he didn't want to move his car.

A classmate shot because he supposedly was wearing the 'wrong" team jersey at a club on Folly Road in the 1970's.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:59 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
hmmmm, over thirty years ago, I am sure that gun is still floating around here somewhere????

Old 10-26-2008, 07:07 PM

45 posts, read 125,128 times
1. The weather
2. It's not NJ
3. The weather again
4. Still the disgusting weather
5. Did I mention the horrible humid weather?

Old 10-27-2008, 04:15 AM

89 posts, read 255,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl217 View Post
1. The weather
2. It's not NJ
3. The weather again
4. Still the disgusting weather
5. Did I mention the horrible humid weather?
Have you spent a winter here yet? You might change your mind. It's awesome!

Old 10-27-2008, 06:55 AM

45 posts, read 125,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPS1029 View Post
Have you spent a winter here yet? You might change your mind. It's awesome!
This will be my 4th winter here. And I definitely dont like it. Last winter wasn't so bad - I got married in the beginning of February, and it was 80º at White Point Gardens. But the 2 years before that it was just ... "blah".

If its going to be cold, I say it may as well snow and make me happy. I miss snow. Sounds crazy, but even when it was 20º there, I could stand to be outside and not feel like I was freezing my butt off. Here, it's 35-40º out and I cant stand it. I call it a "wet" cold. Hubby says I'm nuts lol.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:02 AM

89 posts, read 255,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl217 View Post
This will be my 4th winter here. And I definitely dont like it. Last winter wasn't so bad - I got married in the beginning of February, and it was 80º at White Point Gardens. But the 2 years before that it was just ... "blah".

If its going to be cold, I say it may as well snow and make me happy. I miss snow. Sounds crazy, but even when it was 20º there, I could stand to be outside and not feel like I was freezing my butt off. Here, it's 35-40º out and I cant stand it. I call it a "wet" cold. Hubby says I'm nuts lol.
We've only been here for a year, but we love it. The winter was so much shorter. I do miss the snow but not enough to move back! Sorry....I have to agree with your husband. Lol.
I miss my family and good friends but other than that you can keep it!

Old 10-27-2008, 08:33 AM

1,710 posts, read 5,681,701 times
1) Traffic!!!!!
2) Out of control growth.
3) Infrastructure not keeping up with growth.
4) Terrible drivers! (Had a lady in a gold Chrysler convertible w/NJ tags almost put me in a guard rail on I-26 because she decided she wanted the lane more than I did.)
5) Traffic!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area