Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 06:17 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,288,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Because of his post that him and others like him plan on staying here and changing the way of life the I and so many others have come to love......
Tom, no one can change our way of life here... there's just too many of us that love Charleston for what it is... and so few that complain about it.. let it go.. the world has it share of peope that can find fault with anything, even a wonderful place like Charleston, so let them be miserable while we enjoy our world here.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:11 PM

209 posts, read 534,079 times
I love it when people forget that there are real human beings on the other end of their posts. It may be "just the internet," but people are the ones reading it and responding to it.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:44 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,301 times
Off-topic .... Wow .. 4 pages of this ... and I've been missing out.

LOL

<-popcorn->

You do realize there is a much easier means of settling this little spat right?

On-topic ... See my previous posts in this thread about the topic at hand.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:36 AM

2 posts, read 2,730 times
Is the educational system in Charelston poor? I've actually seen some good ratings.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:50 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times
Some of the government schools are good, most are not....

Old 08-14-2012, 05:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,730 times
Is the public educational system poor in Charleston? I've read they have good ratings. I ask because my husband and I grew up in central W.V., live in a small townin M.D. and would rather raise our daughter somewhere else. I' ve always wanted to be closer to the ocean and am turned off by the lack of culture here.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:14 PM

10,086 posts, read 7,761,924 times
humidity
water bugs
hurricane threats
earthquake fault
flat landscape
lack of snow
too many one way streets

Old 08-14-2012, 06:51 PM

183 posts, read 356,691 times
The main thing I don't like here is the lack of opportunities for outdoor enthusiasts. You want to fish, boat, kayak? There are some great resources available. But if you are a hunter, your best bet is to make friends with landowners or find similar connections. Hunting on public land is a hassle at best, and is limited to certain types of game. To duck hunt on government land you have to draw in the lottery. Hunting is becoming a rich man's pastime, for those who can afford to lease or even own land, or pay a large sum to join a hunt club. I have seen my own opportunities slip away for certain reasons.

The places I have had access to are outside of Barnwell and Georgetown, so hunting has to be a day trip for me. There are WMAs relatively close to me, but I don't like competing with strangers for a hunt, which can happen there. From what I have heard, many Midwestern states are much friendlier to hunters. We should be, too, but rampant development and a "closing off" of the culture are but a few of the problems.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:59 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,352,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntriple View Post
Is the public educational system poor in Charleston? I've read they have good ratings. I ask because my husband and I grew up in central W.V., live in a small townin M.D. and would rather raise our daughter somewhere else. I' ve always wanted to be closer to the ocean and am turned off by the lack of culture here.
The state on average doesn't get great marks on schools. But, these ratings, as the ratings for the entire Charleston Co, are an average of all schools within the system. There are really bright spots and really dim ones. Charleston Co has some really great public schools. But, as with any school you only get what the parents in the school are willing to invest. And when I say invest, I'm not talking about money... I'm talking about time and involvement in their children.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:04 PM

870 posts, read 1,987,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
humidity
We're right next to the ocean, this is unavoidable here.
Quote:
water bugs
Again, ocean. Geologically, this part of the state (this side of 95) is essentially one gigantic swamp. Again unavoidable
Quote:
hurricane threats
Threats are one thing. We haven't had a decent hit since 1989. We're been brushed and grazed but not truly hit like Florida and North Carolina get.
Quote:
earthquake fault
It's a relatively quiet one and you'd be hard pressed to escape plate tectonics.
Quote:
flat landscape
This could be solved if the fault was more active. Sorry couldn't resist.
Quote:
lack of snow
Drive around all day in the rain and then explain why we need something less familiar and more slippery covering everything.
Quote:
too many one way streets
It's only because they are so narrow. IF they were wide enough to be two way, they would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area