Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 07:25 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times

Advertisements

Oh darn, I thought this thread had died a peaceful death.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:25 PM

870 posts, read 1,986,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Oh darn, I thought this thread had died a peaceful death.
Nope. Thanks to the wonders of modern thread necromancy, nothing ever dies.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:54 PM

10,077 posts, read 7,754,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgeek View Post
We're right next to the ocean, this is unavoidable here.

Again, ocean. Geologically, this part of the state (this side of 95) is essentially one gigantic swamp. Again unavoidable

Threats are one thing. We haven't had a decent hit since 1989. We're been brushed and grazed but not truly hit like Florida and North Carolina get.

It's a relatively quiet one and you'd be hard pressed to escape plate tectonics.

This could be solved if the fault was more active. Sorry couldn't resist.

Drive around all day in the rain and then explain why we need something less familiar and more slippery covering everything.

It's only because they are so narrow. IF they were wide enough to be two way, they would be.

I'll have to add 1 more thing I hate about Charleston. Since that is what this thread was titled....

I don't much care that some people need to be rude and don't let others state their opinion on a public message board. I though people in Charleston were pretty much friendly but then there are always exceptions to the rule. Sad how some people take it personally when something negative is said about a place that they live. You just aren't going to find a perfect place with no negatives.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
I don't much care that some people need to be rude and don't let others state their opinion on a public message board.
Where to begin?

1. I responded. I didn't feel I was rude. I didn't intend to be rude. If you took it as rude then maybe you misread my tone (a common problem on the internet). If you are looking for an apology, look elsewhere. You stated your opinion, I replied with mine, we're adults here.

2. I never prevented or tried to prevent you stating your opinion. I responded to it AFTER you stated it.

3. It's a public message board. That means you can post what you want and I can post what I want (within reason and according to the rules of the forum).

4. Disagreeing with someone is not rude.

You don't like humidity, water bugs, hurricanes, earthquakes, flat land, lack of snow and one way streets so you live in a bug infested swamp, next to the hurricane churning mid Atlantic that sits on a fault, doesn't have hills, is too far south to snow on a regular basis and has streets too narrow for two way traffic?

The one thing I hate about Charleston is people who hate it here but insist on staying just to complain

I don't like dry and hot, I'd never live in Phoenix. I don't like overpriced, I'd never live in New York or Los Angeles. I don't like rotting cesspools of God knows what, I'd never live in Detroit.

I'm not saying you should leave town. I don't know you or your situation. If you aren't happy here though and the things that make you most unhappy aren't going to change anytime soon (weather patterns and geological features), maybe you would be happier somewhere else? That's just a thought. I'm not trying to be rude.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:57 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
This is the thread that doesn't end.
Yes, it goes on and on my friend.
Some people started posting not knowing what it was,
And they'll continue posting forever just because...
Etc.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Some people started posting not knowing what it was,
And they'll continue posting forever just because...
Etc.
Great. Now every time I see this thread, whether I click on it or not, I will think about a sock puppet.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:31 PM

638 posts, read 1,594,489 times
Default Housing Issues..

1.. Bumper to bumper housing... no privacy.

2.. High cost of construction compared to other area. Why is it your building materials cost more than other areas in the same state, or surrounding states?? They can build innovative home plans for under $90sf with better land/lots. Charleston Co can't even meet this price *excluding* their high land/lot costs.

3.. Too many nationally syndicated tract home builders repeating the same dull house plan over and over (designed by men; they really need to hire more older experienced women who've lived in houses and know better designs)

4.. Having to pay top dollar to have a big shade tree in your yard.. or a unique floor plan design vs a commonly repetitive floor plan.

5.. Too many ugly, pine treed lots that realtors refer to as a "wooded"/ or scenic with a view of a swamp in your backyard called marshland. Duh?! It's not only trashy looking, but it's a breeding ground for mosquitos, no-seeums, and poisonous snakes.

Beyond these complaints... I was born there, and I was hoping I'd die there... but it's begininng to look like that's not going to be the case.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:11 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane55us View Post
1.. Bumper to bumper housing... no privacy.
Answered by question #3.
2.. High cost of construction compared to other area. Why is it your building materials cost more than other areas in the same state, or surrounding states?? They can build innovative home plans for under $90sf with better land/lots. Charleston Co can't even meet this price *excluding* their high land/lot costs.
Everyone wants to move here therefore the cost is going to be higher, supply and demand...
Homes in Summerville area can be built as low as $78/sf....

3.. Too many nationally syndicated tract home builders repeating the same dull house plan over and over (designed by men; they really need to hire more older experienced women who've lived in houses and know better designs)
Answered by #2
4.. Having to pay top dollar to have a big shade tree in your yard.. or a unique floor plan design vs a commonly repetitive floor plan.
Too many nationally syndicated builders...
5.. Too many ugly, pine treed lots that realtors refer to as a "wooded"/ or scenic with a view of a swamp in your backyard called marshland. Duh?! It's not only trashy looking, but it's a breeding ground for mosquitos, no-seeums, and poisonous snakes.
See answer to #'s 1 & 4.

Beyond these complaints... I was born there, and I was hoping I'd die there... but it's begininng to look like that's not going to be the case.
See Above

Old 08-15-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
See Above
Stop being rude Tom. Let the woman post. It's a public forum after all.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:37 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgeek View Post
Stop being rude Tom. Let the woman post. It's a public forum after all.
I did that just for you....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area