Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2008, 02:57 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,997,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacoastbill View Post
  1. The Bugs: There are a tremendous amount of aggressive mosquitos and noseeums. They like being out when the weather is best. So if you like being out, they will be out.
  2. The lack of hills: The lanscape is flat and wet. If you are into watersports, then Chas is great. But if not, there is a lack of interesting landscape.
  3. The people: people here have little to speak about. They talk about their homes, their money, their social life. But it is difficult to get deeper
  4. The lack of bike friendly streets: Charleston is a difficult place to get on two wheels, whether motorized or not. As a former Harley rider, Charleston broke me of my passion because the drivers simply don't pay attention to you. I also was a big road biker and don't do that for the same reasons.
  5. The lack of variety in food: Charleston has some great low-country food. But, in comparison to bigger cities like Charlotte or Atlanta, there simply is not any variety. You will find the chain restaurants like Chilis and etc. You will find some really great local places. But you won't find the "big city" choices.

As for numbers 1 & 2, it's the seacoast, Bill.

Number 3, they are from allover; Boomtown folks. What they say is all they really know about a new (to them) area.

Number 4, not too many people rode bikes in the 1700's when most of the peninsula was platted out. And the sprawl since then has all been about cars.
Besides, bikepaths cost $$. And nobody wants to pay taxes.

As for number 5, even a non-culinary person like myself can find variety in Charleston restaurants, although because again of the fact that 90% of everyone is from allover, the standard cuisine could be called "Chez Dayton".

Old 10-16-2008, 08:48 PM

3 posts, read 15,367 times
First thing to know is Charleston is very different living here than vacationing here. I vacationed each and every year here for the past 10 yrs before I made the move and I am finding it an eye opener.

Couple of things I dislike so far:

1. Traffic - especially off the main freeways, the main streets have so
many street lights and backed up traffic -- it takes forever to get from point A to B.

2. Customer Service - Very poor, and not like you had experienced being
a tourist. Try something local day to day things, like a Walmart or a
fast food joint. Slow and most of the time not so friendly.

3. Lack of work ethic - There is a good portion of the population here
who are very lazy and poor at what they do. Please note this is not
everyone and when you live here you will be able to pick out what I
am saying. I agree on the earlier post of not being able to get return
phone calls.

4. Slightly Cold to newcomers - Charlestonians are burnt out of the melting pot. This city has quadrupled in population within the past 10 yrs, due to many people vacationing here, giving the initiative to live here. There is not a lot of enthusiasm that you are not from here, as many arrive everyday from out of state.

5. It is hard to do what you enjoyed when you vacationed here, unless of course if you are retired, then well the world is your oyster. But between work and day to day routines all those fun things will have to be squeezed in.

I know this may have sounded negative, I still do really like Charleston, it is just overwhelming and many of my dislikes are probably "duh"!, but it seems like a harder impact when you get here. I hope this helps makes a person prepared for some of the changes that will come. Good luck with your move

Old 10-17-2008, 08:33 AM

355 posts, read 1,449,413 times
shopgirl, I do agree with your first three points.

But everyone who has found out or heard that I am from CA, they are all very welcoming and thrilled to either get to know me, why I came here and most important why on earth would I *ever* leave Orange County or Los Angeles.

So I'm surprised that you're encountering that issue. However, I would like to say that the South hasn't encountered the population increase that MANY other states have and they will just have to accept and embrace it!

Old 10-17-2008, 11:39 AM

206 posts, read 711,696 times
I do not live in Charleston but we vacation there almost every year (on Folly) and I LOVE it.. nothing to hate but like someone said we don't live there just vacation (I would like to live there however), we live in Knoxville, TN and we have the same "hates" too.... no matter where you live you are gonna have things you "hate" about the place. We "hate" things here but we still love it here. Just be happy and thankful you live in a beautiful place and try to look at the positive instead of negative

Old 10-21-2008, 05:26 PM

81 posts, read 349,117 times
1. Traffic is a nightmare everywhere
2. Personal Property Taxes EVERY year
3. Being charged both state AND county taxes on purchases
4. Everything is closed on Sunday just about
5. People who have not been here forever are for the most part rude. It's rare that you'll find someone down here with a thick southern accent that is rude.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:28 PM

81 posts, read 349,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shopgirl4 View Post

......2. Customer Service - Very poor, and not like you had experienced being
a tourist. Try something local day to day things, like a Walmart or a
fast food joint. Slow and most of the time not so friendly.....
AMEN!

Old 10-21-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine750wife View Post
1. Traffic is a nightmare everywhere
2. Personal Property Taxes EVERY year
3. Being charged both state AND county taxes on purchases
4. Everything is closed on Sunday just about
5. People who have not been here forever are for the most part rude. It's rare that you'll find someone down here with a thick southern accent that is rude.
Re#5. I can assure you that those with thick Southern accents are much like the Japanese: formal on the surface, but simmering inside. If provoked (hotbutton stuff: politics, race, religion) they won't be rude, they'll simply pullout their unregistered saturday night special and put a cap in you.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:43 PM

Having considered my previous statement for a moment, I believe that while it is harsh, and does not apply to everyone, it does apply to enough (and forget socio-economic data; it could happen just as easily on Tradd St. as on Bohicket Rd.) to be my honest opinion.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:45 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,761,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Having considered my previous statement for a moment, I believe that while it is harsh, and does not apply to everyone, it does apply to enough (and forget socio-economic data; it could happen just as easily on Tradd St. as on Bohicket Rd.) to be my honest opinion.
Wow...you were reading my thoughts!

Old 10-21-2008, 08:52 PM

Back in the 70's, one of my mother's cousins was in a job of some importance with law enforcement in the PeeDee. He got in trouble (yelled at by the then-governor) because when interviewed by SI mag during the Darlington 500, he told the reporter (he'd been asked about what to expect from the race attendees), "This is a South Carolina crowd-mean."

That quote was featured promiently in the article, of course.

It's the sentiment I was trying to express in my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area