U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 07:05 AM

3 posts, read 4,051 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am looking to buy a home in a master planned community, and there are several different neighborhoods with different builders. Based on amenities and the way the homes look in pictures, I am tempted to go with the neighborhood with Lennar Homes, but I'm not sure how it compares to the other homebuilders which include Crescent Homes, Sabal, Centex, Landmark 24, Dan Ryan Builders, and Beazer Homes. Any information and opinions on any of these builders would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 06:56 AM

165 posts, read 284,801 times
I am not a fan of Lennar, when I got the rate/fees quote from their lender they did a smoke and mirrors scam.

Anytime a home is sold in SC the SELLER/BUILDER has to pay for a portion of the state tax/stamps required by the state/county.

Then they say they will give you 3,000 to use their lender, but make you pay 1,500 in costs they are required to pay.

For the person that has no idea how the GFE should look they will do it thinking its normal.

Watch out!

Old 09-28-2015, 07:14 AM

8,848 posts, read 7,641,615 times
My last two home purchases were in new developments. The main problems I saw were buyers expecting more for their money. One gets what one pays for. You do not get a $400K home for $250K.

Each site will have construction manager/site manager, etc. Become this persons new best friend. Do not be hesitant in offering gifts. This will be money well spent.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:42 AM

711 posts, read 584,450 times
I have a Lennar home in Spencer Creek Woods which I bought two years ago. Once you sign the contract and move in, they forget about you. I have emailed a couple of times to the customer care email line at Charleston office and to the main office in Florida of which they do not answer back. You go from a human once you move in and after that period you have to deal with a website and .... enough said. But I will say this, for the most part I am happy with the built of the home. No major complaints so far. On the other hand their aftermarket customer care stinks. I guess it's just like buying a car, you never see the salesperson again.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:11 AM

142 posts, read 132,171 times
The home I bought was built by Lennar. I can't speak to how the original transaction went, but I when I bought it I found a solid well-built house. There were no corners cut on this home -- the exterior siding is not the thin vinyl you find on other homes, the roof has architectural shingles and the extra bracing in the attic. The interior has no drywall cracks from settling and there are high quality wood floors. We replaced the carpeting, which you would do anyway in a 10 year old house. We repainted every room and we saw NO uneven walls or nail/screw pops.

In my opinion, they build a nice house. You're going to want to pay close attention to the Lenders in any new transaction.

"Crescent Homes, Sabal, Centex, Landmark 24, Dan Ryan Builders, and Beazer Homes"
Of those listed above.....I would put Centex and Beazer near the bottom.

Perhaps somebody with more experience with the others should rank them in order of quality.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:05 AM

14 posts, read 19,373 times
Highly recommend that you give Eastwood Homes a shot. The building experience has been great with them. We moved in in May and they have been very prompt with responding to any issues that have come up.

Just one recommendation for them and really for any of these new home builders - when deciding on which options you want to pay for, focus on the 'structural' options or things that would be harder to do in the future. For example, we opted for the fireplace, screened in porch and ceiling fan prewires. Pretty much everything else we got just the included options. Upgrading stuff like floors or countertops is way WAY overpriced when you go through the builder.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:15 PM

My experience with my last two newly built homes was I could drive a harder bargain on the upgrades/options then I could with the base price. I say upgrade anything that you can afford to especially if it would have to be "remodeled" later like to old formica top removed and replaced with granite. Now cutting a good deal on a better stove, dishwasher, etc. you can do yourself.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:58 PM

575 posts, read 514,136 times
I would never buy a home that isn't already built. I've seen to many shoddy built entry level, semi-custom and so called custom homes that were full of defects and needed much more than typical maintenance done. You simply don't know what you're buying if it's only on paper.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:56 AM

Bacon

The way to be sure all is well is to do periodic inspections as it is being built. Know how everything is done and with what materials. I much prefer new built to older homes as with an older home you never know what is underneath. Quite often there are some nice looking surface jobs covering some shoddy DIY stuff.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:39 AM

711 posts, read 584,450 times
Once again I had emailed Lennar customer service about a problem. And once again they do not answer. I emailed both local Charleston and the corporate office in FL. Still nothing. So that tells you about their customer service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or