Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 10:52 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,424,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullisl View Post
Went to school in Cola, your assessment is far from reality. Let's not make this a pissing contest.
Congratulations ...I went to school elsewhere... where we learned to use data to make our points...look up the data...my characterless comment Ill give you as a matter of opinion but empty parking lots don't add much ......all the rest has data to back up my comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 12:25 PM

12,915 posts, read 18,761,054 times
Charleston downtown is like Manhattan in that people from all over the country and world are paying cash for very expensive houses. It will also be like Manhattan in that, through adaptive zoning, 300-square-foot houses will answer the need of those who want to live on the peninsula at prices they can afford.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:31 PM

678 posts, read 799,880 times
Speaking of character and charm, do you foresee Forever 21 on King St long term? Economy has improved, time to kick them out right?

I know several people who live in the charleston metro area, and almost all of them say they rarely go downtown due to parking/traffic and long lines at a lot of places. However, to be fair, when they do go they do have fun. The last time my ex went downtown she went to prohibition and had a really fun time. So obviously it's sort of a good problem to have. But again the sense I get from talking to the people who grew up there is that downtown is somewhere you go every now and then. It's too much of a hassle to go a few nights a week or even every weekend. It seems like Avondale/triangle in West Ashley is the hot spot to go to now more regularly for locals who don't want to fight the downtown tourists/lines.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:07 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
WHAT???? Lines to what? Only thing I have ever seen lines to are the carriage tours, Jestine' and Hymans. Locals -- whether they are young, old, live downtown Summerville or Mt. Pleasant don't frequent those places. That's a given. But that represents a very small part of downtown.

Traffic is bad on the week ends during the day. It gets a little crazy upper King at 11:00 pm but that is not all tourists. And it is full of people but lines?

We all have different lifestyles that live in Charleston. Locals, transplants we all live in different areas. Some never get on the water to fish, paddle board surf -- others never go into the city to enjoy cocktails, fine dining. The fact that I have many friends who fish, paddleboard and kayak doesn't mean that all locals fish, paddleboard and kayak.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:35 PM

678 posts, read 799,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
WHAT???? Lines to what? Only thing I have ever seen lines to are the carriage tours, Jestine' and Hymans. Locals -- whether they are young, old, live downtown Summerville or Mt. Pleasant don't frequent those places. That's a given. But that represents a very small part of downtown.

Traffic is bad on the week ends during the day. It gets a little crazy upper King at 11:00 pm but that is not all tourists. And it is full of people but lines?

We all have different lifestyles that live in Charleston. Locals, transplants we all live in different areas. Some never get on the water to fish, paddle board surf -- others never go into the city to enjoy cocktails, fine dining. The fact that I have many friends who fish, paddleboard and kayak doesn't mean that all locals fish, paddleboard and kayak.
I dunno, I've heard this from a few long time residents. To be fair, one of them lived there her entire life, until at age 29 she moved to columbia for a nursing job because she couldn't find one in charleston (new nurse). so she remembers what it was like in the 90s and the 00s-when she was in college at the CofC. Things were different back then. One other who comes to mind lives on James island. Of course you're right.. Lots of other things to do other than downtown, especially if you're into the beach or can operate a boat. I will say if I lived in charleston , having spent a good amount of time there, I'd be frequenting the Avondale area more than downtown. It's a nice vibe there for a youngish person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area