Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 12:08 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times

Advertisements

...according to Emeril Lagassee, People Magazine, Fortune 500, and the Atlanta Constitution

Hey I just tried Melvin's Barbeque the other day and what a GREAT FIND that place was! Evidently it has been voted not only as having the best Cheesburger in America but also its been voted has having the best Barbeque by NBBQ, five Star Review and the Charleston City Paper. I'm not a big red meat eater but the chicken barbeque sandwich I had was DELICIOUS! It was the BEST I've ever had and better barbecue than I'd had in San Antonio Texas and FAAAR Better than a place that was supposed to have good barbeque where I came from in Newport, RI (which was dry and flavorless by comparison).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 02:12 PM

899 posts, read 3,491,355 times
Best Cheeseburger in America at Melvin's, huh?
I never thought to eat that there.
Thanks!

Old 01-20-2008, 03:49 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,472,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim3310 View Post
Best Cheeseburger in America at Melvin's, huh?
I never thought to eat that there.
Thanks!
ahhh Jim you just blew my image of you and became a true foreigner in one sentence.... lol

yeaa Melvin's is well known for the best burgers in the southeast, even has been voted best in America before

when I go I get a lil'Joe pork and a cheese burger basket so I can have the best of both worlds... got to love those onion rings as well

way back a cpl decades plus ago I worked for them, managed a cpl of their restaurants and helped open the one in MtP

excellent ribs as well, real pit slow cooked BBQ

speaking of BBQ, Smoke Signals in S'Ville has reopened !!! it's excellent as well...

Old 01-20-2008, 10:16 PM

Smoke Signals IS open again! I drove by this last Thursday & saw the sign.
I'll be there this week.

C'mon Meks, who would order a burger at Melvin's with all they have goin on?
I go to Park Circle & get my burgers from Sesame. He owns Five Loaves as well.

I've got two more burger spots that are awesome...

But I WILL hit Melvin's. Can I order the 'Que to go?

Old 01-21-2008, 07:54 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Quote:
I'll be there this week.

Of course they have take-out.

You can even have them send a 16 foot mobile barbeque pit to your house and they'll cook up a feast for you and 49 of your closest friends including whole pigs, whole hogs, burgers, hotdogs, steamed oysters and Frogmore stew.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:46 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,430,609 times
Melvin's has been recognized by Emeril for the burgers. I love their BBQ and their sweet tea.
I also love 5 guys burgers and fries YUMMY!!!

Old 01-21-2008, 09:27 AM

1,195 posts, read 3,472,385 times
Quote:
I'll be there this week.

yeaaa Sesame's is good too, but not as good as Bessingers... the burgers are the same at Melvin's or the Bessingers on hwy 17S, Savannah Hwy (same place for those that don't know)

Old 01-21-2008, 02:36 PM

2,223 posts, read 4,998,432 times
If I had the money to open a burger joint handsdown it would be the Cheesecake Factory. By far the best Burger! Toooooo bad the closest one is in Charlotte

Jim - you remind me alot of myself, the sarcasm hasn't left a bit eh??? Keep the great post rolling!

NYG 34 NE 31...Mark it on your calendar!

Old 01-21-2008, 06:18 PM

34-31 Giants? Hmmm. I'll go 31-28 Giants.

By the way. Was psyched to look at a property today (because I was hitting Smoke Signals). They're open Thursday through Sunday, 11a - 9p.

Either that or they put the sign up when they saw a Yankee gawking at them...

Sarcasm, no charge...

Old 01-21-2008, 08:58 PM

186 posts, read 578,335 times
Wow, I'm reading these posts and am more anxious than ever to get back down there. This next visit will definitely be a culinary exploration now that I have all these great recommendations. One question though, "are there any health clubs or gyms in Summerville?" I feel like I've gained 5 lbs. just reading about the BBQ.

ATTENTION GIANTS FANS:

As you can imagine, people are going crazy up here. It was 16 degrees on LI this morning and there was over 100 people waiting for Modells to open at 10am so they could buy NFC Champions hats and shirts. Not as cold as Green Bay but even if it was ,the crazies would still have been out there. My entire family are Giant fans while I am the lonely JET fan. However, the Pats are our mortal enemies so....GO BLUE!!!!!!

Giants 30

Pats 27
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area