Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 03:58 PM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times

Advertisements

We were approved yesterday for an apartment in a pretty apartment complex in West Ashley in the Charleston city limits that feels very safe, inside the Mark Clark Expressway. I'll also be working inside the MCE literally five minutes from the apartment. The apartment is 12 minutes from the edge of the peninsula at Lockwood and Calhoun and 14 minutes from King and Broad.

I did the paperwork at my job Thursday and will start full-time July 6th. I'll be working one day a week down there in June. It has sunk in and we are looking forward. I've told my parents and brothers, and my spouse has told his mother. We move into our apartment on July 4th. We might be arrivals 42 and 43 for that day. (Forty-three people per day migrate to the Charleston MSA per a recent Post & Courier article.) Or maybe 43 will arrive that day anyway, not including us, and maybe we'll be numbers 44 and 45.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 04:15 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,248 times
Congratulations and welcome to Charleston! I would warn you about the July heat but coming from Columbia, it might be cooler here...

Old 05-31-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
Congratulations and welcome to Charleston! I would warn you about the July heat but coming from Columbia, it might be cooler here...
I'll see for myself what the effect of the heat index is. Many days Charleston's heat index (how hot it feels with the combination of the temperature and the humidity) is higher than Columbia's according to the weather reports on Columbia news stations, but I'm not one to complain about the heat anyway.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:06 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times
Grats on the move.... Ummm didnt you used to have a different name?

Old 06-03-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Grats on the move.... Ummm didnt you used to have a different name?
Columbiadata

I went ahead and changed my name so that by July 4th when we move I'll be a Charleston old-timer. Between that and the fact that my maternal roots trace back to Charleston's founding fathers days, and the fact that my family lived just outside of West Ashley off the Savannah Highway for two months when I was 8, I'll be good to go.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:21 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,424,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Columbiadata

I went ahead and changed my name so that by July 4th when we move I'll be a Charleston old-timer. Between that and the fact that my maternal roots trace back to Charleston's founding fathers days, and the fact that my family lived just outside of West Ashley off the Savannah Highway for two months when I was 8, I'll be good to go.
ROFLMAO

Old 06-04-2015, 06:25 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,350,387 times
You understand that by agreeing to the terms of service of living in Charleston, you must now become an outspoken cheerleader for the crown jewel of the South?

Old 06-04-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
You understand that by agreeing to the terms of service of living in Charleston, you must now become an outspoken cheerleader for the crown jewel of the South?
I'll try to follow my self-imposed rule: be as objectively positive about Charleston as I feel I have always been about Columbia, and where I see the need for improvement, contact those I feel are the appropriate people to contact. (I know I already mentioned what I detected to be slow traffic lights in West Ashley, but I don't live there yet.) I won't stand for the bashing of any city, and I will take the "He who lives in glass houses shouldn't throw stones." approach where appropriate to defend any city against bashing. While I don't believe Charleston needs any cheer-leading from me, I'm sure I'll be a sharer of good news about the city.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:56 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I'll try to follow my self-imposed rule: be as objectively positive about Charleston as I feel I have always been about Columbia, and where I see the need for improvement, contact those I feel are the appropriate people to contact. (I know I already mentioned what I detected to be slow traffic lights in West Ashley, but I don't live there yet.) I won't stand for the bashing of any city, and I will take the "He who lives in glass houses shouldn't throw stones." approach where appropriate to defend any city against bashing. While I don't believe Charleston needs any cheer-leading from me, I'm sure I'll be a sharer of good news about the city.
We prefer a "blinders on, drink the positive Kool Aid" oath of allegiance but if you insist on objectivity I guess we'll have to allow it.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:42 PM

My husband and I went to a restaurant in downtown Columbia tonight after I spent the whole day in Charleston training for my new job. I overheard these two young female restaurant servers talking about rental houses. I asked if they were looking for a place to rent, thinking I could get them to rent our house if they seemed legitimate. One of them said the other one was moving to Charlotte. She said she used to live in Charlotte and she was telling the one moving there a little bit about where she lived. I told them we are moving to Charleston and might be interested in renting our house out to the right people. They both said, "Charleston?!! That's exciting! I love Charleston!" We'll probably put our yard man and handyman (same man) up in our house. Keeping it up would be his rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area