Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 03:53 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,010,055 times

Advertisements

Went to the visitor Center in Mt. Pleasant last week to gather some info. about area attractions.

First of all, its a great visitor center. Aside from the pamphlets, they sell discounted tickets to a number of things.

The person on staff was wonderful, explained a number of things, then showed us the facilities for rent. The room in back for rent was lovely - murals on the walls, walls of doors that open onto an expanse of lawn overlooking the harbor. And very reasonable. They also have a smaller area for rent for less $$.

Stopped in the Sweetgrass Basket Pavillion to see the women making baskets - lots there for sale as well.

While there the staff person asked if we had walked the pier, and no, we hadn't, didn't know anything about it. So checked it out before we left.

What a great amenity for Mt. Pleasant. The park is very well done with the grassy area, the fountain and memorial, and the pier is a wonderful spot to walk, have a bite to eat, fish, or sit and and enjoy the views/breeze on a hot day.

Really great facility. Came back with armloads of info. So much to see and do around here. We will have fun exploring!

As an aside, we bought discounted tickets to the water taxi, which we took to downtown Charleston - bargain at $9. And a fun way to go. Just so happened we got super lucky, as it was the day of the tanker accident and bridge shutdown. Nice way to travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 04:57 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,518,581 times
It is a beautiful park! We love to go walk the pier amd swing. Have you been to the Shem Creek Park on Shrimp Boat Lane? We love, love visiting there.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:30 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,050,079 times
I love that park and area. The little cafe has milkshakes too, you can get one and sit in the swings and it's a nice cheap date . There's a playground for the kids and I always park there when I run the bridge as well.

You really lucked out on those water taxi tickets that day!

Old 06-01-2015, 10:26 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,245 times
I bring my dog walking at waterfront park usually twice a week. It is his favorite place for a walk. There are a lot of events at waterfront park. The sweetgrass festival is coming up. I think it is June 6. Party in the park starts tomorrow (technically today ), which is everyTuesday in June. There are a few bands each week and food vendors. Blessing of the Fleet is also held there.

Another place that is really nice is Pitt Street Bridge. You could stop at Pitt Street Pharmacy for a milkshake.

I second Shem Creek. We go there often too.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:20 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,654,079 times
Very, very nice park. Very clean and well kept. But I was there a couple of years ago and I over heard a woman complaning to one of the park's employees about the trash in the marsh. She wanted to know when the employee was going to go clean it up. The employee stated that they were only responsible for park it self, but the woman said she didn't see why the park couldn't clean it.
Most of the trash was probably blown there from the bridge traffic above. But the employee made a good suggestion to the lady. He said lady, if you can get us some shoes to walk on water and in that marsh we'd be happy to clean it for you.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:50 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,010,055 times
LOL.

No, haven't been to Shem Creek Park yet, though have seen the sign from the parking lot when we go to Shem Creek. Have not been to Pitt Street Bridge yet either, though been on Pitt Street many times - one of our favorite streets in MP.

The staff at the Visitor Center told us the Waterfront Park Pier used to be an old bridge that they re-purposed. More places should be creative like this. The more "gathering places" like this there are, the more community feel the town has. It's nice there are events there. I imagine parking gets a little challenged when there is an event?

Old 06-02-2015, 08:34 AM

121 posts, read 152,473 times
We are fairly new to the area and love all of the places mentioned so far. I didn't know about Pitt Stree Pharmacy for a milkshake, will definitely have to check that out! Are there any others we are missing?

Old 06-02-2015, 09:09 AM

184 posts, read 216,209 times
One of my favorite trails for a nice walk onto the marsh is over behind MT P Waterworks. The trail is only .25 mile, but it is through 57 acres that are publicly accessible and held in a conservationment easement by an organization called East Cooper Land Trust.

The trail is kind of obscure, you have to drive back around the Water Department operations til the road stops. Then walk along the fence toward the woods and you'll come up on a little fenced in dog run and a butterfly garden. The trail will lead around through the woods to the marsh. It's a nice spot that is available to the public thanks to the Mt. Pleasant Waterworks, the ECLT and it's volunteers.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:47 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
That trail is very buggy......and quiet -- or it use to be -- thank you very much.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:51 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,985,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shemcreek View Post
One of my favorite trails for a nice walk onto the marsh is over behind MT P Waterworks. The trail is only .25 mile, but it is through 57 acres that are publicly accessible and held in a conservationment easement by an organization called East Cooper Land Trust.

The trail is kind of obscure, you have to drive back around the Water Department operations til the road stops. Then walk along the fence toward the woods and you'll come up on a little fenced in dog run and a butterfly garden. The trail will lead around through the woods to the marsh. It's a nice spot that is available to the public thanks to the Mt. Pleasant Waterworks, the ECLT and it's volunteers.
Shhhhhhhh! That's one of my fav spots that NO ONE visits LOL.

I have an awesome photo of my two boys standing out in the marsh I took last fall.
The old Long Point Plantation park is super awesome as well. Marsh views, wooded trails, a old historic smoke house and a rope swing for the kids. No one visits that park either, except for a few joggers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area