Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 01:11 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,018,901 times

Advertisements

Cement plank exteriors are wonderful. Much more durable and resistant to damage than vinyl, wood, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 08:28 PM

899 posts, read 3,491,355 times
Went through White Gables last Thursday.
'Seasoned Agent' didn't like it at all.
New agent loved it.

That's the kind of place it is. Like it or hate it.

I'm closer to the "like' portion.
There are some great buys in there and I think they are going to be even better in the near future.
Worth keeping an eye on.
jim

Old 06-26-2008, 07:41 PM

40 posts, read 113,047 times
I love White Gables. We currently live in a "Rainbow Row" inspired neighborhood in Georgia... I love the cement planks in our current home.

Are houses like this only located in White Gables, The Ponds, Park West, and Daniel Island?

Old 06-26-2008, 08:57 PM

Nope, there are plenty of Charleston Single style homes throughout the lowcountry, and in all the shades of Charleston as well.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:52 PM

40 posts, read 113,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJShymansky View Post
Nope, there are plenty of Charleston Single style homes throughout the lowcountry, and in all the shades of Charleston as well.
Any other neighborhood suggestions?

Old 06-27-2008, 09:28 AM

For Charleston single style homes? You can find a number of them in Hunt Club, Carolina Bay, Park West, I'on, Tanner Plantation, and many downtown. I think that White Gables has cornered the market though on having the whole neighborhood built in that style (outside of rainbow row itself). It's a great place.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:09 PM

207 posts, read 1,003,849 times
I currently live in White Gables and think its a great neighborhood for young families and retired couples. We take walks each night and our neighbors actually smile, wave, and say hello...many even know us by name, which is unheard of in most neighborhoods! We have a corner lot...with a pond in front of our house and an empty lot (proposed dog park) on one side. Our one next door neighbor owns the house but does not live there (we're not sure if he's military or what...) so even in a community where all of the houses are close, we don't feel that way at all. The pool is great and rarely crowded (more so on weekends.) We also have a great walking trail, tennis courts, a huge club house, and many parks for kids. There are several get togethers and community events throughout the year. These just aren't things you find in most neighborhoods! We also like the hidden garages and hate looking at houses in other neighborhoods where all you see is the garage door.

With that all said, we are getting ready to put our house on the market simply because we are outgrowing it. We're looking at other houses in the neighborhood as well as houses in similar communities (we like the Bluffs on the Ashley River too.) I'm not sure we can beat the location of WG though...there is a brand new Publix (excellent grocery store) right around the corner. They just built a McDonalds and are beginning a new gas station.

My piece of advice...if you buy in the neighborhood, look for a house that is light in color and avoid the red houses! They fade SO quickly

Old 07-09-2008, 08:11 PM

Oops...finger slipped and I submitted the last post prematurely...

As I was saying...look for a light colored house. Ours is a VERY light green and has barely faded...some of the red houses need painting yearly.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:33 PM

899 posts, read 3,491,355 times
I have noticed that as well about the red pigment. More so in vinyl siding though.
You should do fairly well in buying another larger home in White Gables. What is the sq. ft that you have now?
jim

Old 07-11-2008, 08:41 AM

Our house is about 1840 sq.ft. (the Greenwood with 2 front porches, the upstairs one off the master.) The only problem is that we have one of the largest lots in the neighborhood (and as mentioned above, for WG, its fairly private.) We want something around 2500 sqft. I haven't seen any of the larger houses for sale that have a similar size lot...and I don't think we can go more than $300K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area