Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 02:30 PM

12 posts, read 17,508 times

Advertisements

It is very hot and very humid. Almost to the point that you really can't enjoy anything outside. I live on James Island roughly 10 miles from Folly Beach and the talk of "ocean breezes" making things nicer is off. Yes, there are breezes but they are not cooling and hardly help with the heat. Also, the ocean is not much relief as it steadily warms up during the Summer. Even though it isn't July yet, the ocean is approaching bathtub temperatures (not yet, but you get the idea).

I think if you are visiting for a few days it wouldn't seem as bad, but if you are living here it becomes a bit depressing have 90+ F and 90%+ humidity day in and day out. Otherwise it is a beautiful city!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 12:03 PM

4,454 posts, read 4,586,124 times
Re: 'I think if you are visiting for a few days it wouldn't seem as bad, but if you are living here it becomes a bit depressing have 90+ F and 90%+ humidity day in and day out. Otherwise it is a beautiful city!!'

Yes it is. Sure would love to know how the earlier Charlestonians say of the 18th century handled the temps when they got that high if they ever did..;-)...

Old 06-30-2015, 12:42 PM

734 posts, read 911,122 times
Oh I don't get depressed when I see 90+ a few days at a time. I look at it this way...it's better than days of having snow and cold.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:21 PM

54 posts, read 63,210 times
I agree MikeB I'd rather have hot than to be snowed in my house for several days and I was living in the south when this happened. Charleston weather is gorgeous compared to oh say Columbia SC. Talk about stifling heat. That is the hottest place I have ever been, does the air ever move there?

Old 06-30-2015, 02:09 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,375,490 times
The heat and humidity is bad, but its not a Charleston only problem. The heat is actually not the backbreaker, its the humidity. Greenville doesnt get as humid, but it still gets sweltering hot. Being 1,000 feet high doesnt provide as extreme a cool off as youd hope.

At least we're not Phoenix, which is posting 108 degree days back to back. And these summer rains do a good job at cooling things off. Currently 60s in the Upstate thanks to passing thunderstorms.

Heat +humidity just a perk of the south, and something youll deal with no where you go, but hey atleast we dont get killer blizzards!

Old 06-30-2015, 08:21 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,038,207 times
The last few days have been great. I've been getting out and running each morning, it's maybe 73-74 degrees before work and the sun is out and it's gorgeous. Nice cloudcover as well! I know the heat will pick back up so I'm just enjoying this break.

Is it sad when temperatures lower than 95 now feel like a cold front? LOL.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:15 PM

45,680 posts, read 23,807,000 times
Talked to my Mom in Toronto --cool, rainy........I sure do love my life.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:06 PM

11,011 posts, read 10,961,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
The heat and humidity is bad, but its not a Charleston only problem. The heat is actually not the backbreaker, its the humidity. Greenville doesnt get as humid, but it still gets sweltering hot. Being 1,000 feet high doesnt provide as extreme a cool off as youd hope.

At least we're not Phoenix, which is posting 108 degree days back to back. And these summer rains do a good job at cooling things off. Currently 60s in the Upstate thanks to passing thunderstorms.

Heat +humidity just a perk of the south, and something youll deal with no where you go, but hey atleast we dont get killer blizzards!
Yep, that's the truth! I have family out in Lake Havasu in Arizona and it gets up to 120 there. When I visit, they say things like "it's a dry heat". Um, it's hot and feels like an oven!! Dry or not, that's flipping hot.

I actually like humidity. I feel too dried out without it. When it's the low 90s here with our usual humidity, I think it's just perfect. That's my favorite weather.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:10 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,934,564 times
Ex-northerner here, and the heat and humidity over the last year haven't bothered me in the least. The long-time locals think I'm crazy. Lol.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:02 PM

482 posts, read 840,994 times
I lived in Phoenix, yes it is hot but the humidity here makes it feel miserable at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area