Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 08:58 AM

21 posts, read 25,893 times

Advertisements

I will first say that my thoughts and prayers go out to all the people of Charleston following the church shooting last night, especially the family and friends of the innocent victims.

We had plans to visit Charleston/Mt. Pleasant next week to look at neighborhoods and schools for a possible move next year. In light of the shootings and general turmoil this may cause, do you think it may be better to reschedule our trip? We have two young children and do not to put them in a potentially dangerous or volatile situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 09:06 AM

260 posts, read 299,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EC-LTB View Post
I will first say that my thoughts and prayers go out to all the people of Charleston following the church shooting last night, especially the family and friends of the innocent victims.

We had plans to visit Charleston/Mt. Pleasant next week to look at neighborhoods and schools for a possible move next year. In light of the shootings and general turmoil this may cause, do you think it may be better to reschedule our trip? We have two young children and do not to put them in a potentially dangerous or volatile situation.
Oh give me a break lady. Dangerous what? AME church members. Do me a favor and stay away. Let the people mourn. If you wont be part of the solution i would say cancel your trip.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:27 AM

Really, JasonTy? You are beyond rude and completely taking my post out of context! I live outside of Baltimore and have unfortunately already had enough drama and riots over the last few months. I am not at all concerned about dangerous AME church members - that never even crossed my mind - why would I be scared of them? They are the victims. I don't know how this tragedy will play out in Charleston, hopefully not the way it has played out in Baltimore. I read that Jeb Bush cancelled his political trip to Charleston next week (which I obviously had no idea about while making my trip plans or if that would impact visiting the area), so I innocently wondered if we should reschedule our trip for various reasons (traffic, rallies, protests, road closures, etc....). We have friends all over Charleston, but they will be at work so we will mostly be on our own for exploring the area. I'm just wondering if this is the best time to visit. After your reply, I am thinking maybe it is not because everyone seems to be a bit on edge. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are (rightly) feeling hurt and upset by what has happened in your town, but please don't make me out to be the bad person.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:34 AM

260 posts, read 299,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EC-LTB View Post
Really, JasonTy? You are beyond rude and completely taking my post out of context! I live outside of Baltimore and have unfortunately already had enough drama and riots over the last few months. I am not at all concerned about dangerous AME church members - that never even crossed my mind - why would I be scared of them? They are the victims. I don't know how this tragedy will play out in Charleston, hopefully not the way it has played out in Baltimore. I read that Jeb Bush cancelled his political trip to Charleston next week (which I obviously had no idea about while making my trip plans or if that would impact visiting the area), so I innocently wondered if we should reschedule our trip for various reasons (traffic, rallies, protests, road closures, etc....). We have friends all over Charleston, but they will be at work so we will mostly be on our own for exploring the area. I'm just wondering if this is the best time to visit. After your reply, I am thinking maybe it is not because everyone seems to be a bit on edge. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are (rightly) feeling hurt and upset by what has happened in your town, but please don't make me out to be the bad person.
It hurts when you just assume certain things. Charleston is not Baltimore. This church is ingrained into part of the fabric and culture it's what makes "Charleston" great. Protest against what? If you have the close your eyes bury your head in the sand mentality then don't visit. That's my advice.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:39 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,490 times
I don't think anyone was making you out to be "the bad person." Your post may just have been a bit overreactive.

I think you should keep your plans. They have captured the shooter and things should settle down from here on.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:57 AM

We were very excited to visit friends, explore Charleston, and learn first hand what makes it such a wonderful area. Maybe I should just stick to asking the opinions of our friends rather than internet strangers. Lesson learned.

I was not "overreactive" as you say until I read several other "overreactive" posts in the Charleston forum such as this from Chs2014 - (I am assuming he lives in Charleston by his user name and location?).... "Get ready for protests, massive traffic in and out of the city, and another circus downtown for the next month (remember it's also summer tourist season here)." That made me think twice about coming to visit next week, not only for my own sanity, but to prevent contributing to the problem of massive traffic, etc....

I am not assuming anything one way or another about Charleston..... if I was assuming anything then I would have simply made the decision on my own to cancel or not cancel my trip. All I've ever assumed was that it was a beautiful, diverse, and historical city with friendly people. I reached out for the locals' advice to help me. I am not burying my head in the sand - quite the opposite - I am trying to learn more about the situation and do not want to contribute to the problem. The purpose of the trip was to drive around and explore all the wonderful areas of Charleston. If that is going to be difficult to do (per Chs2014's post), then maybe next week is not the best time to visit.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:20 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,490 times
Bottom line...do what you think is best. The year has 52 weeks...51 others that you can schedule your visit here.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:33 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Yes of course, calling your friend is a much better idea. Always better to talk folks you know than ask a bunch of strangers or basing your decision on the reaction of someone you know nothing about.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Yes of course, calling your friend is a much better idea. Always better to talk folks you know than ask a bunch of strangers or basing your decision on the reaction of someone you know nothing about.
Yes, thank you, moneill. Lesson learned! My original post was a quick reaction after reading some of the other threads on this forum earlier today. It was probably not wise to even inquire about my trip and I apologize if it came across as insensitive. Again, I am very sorry this tragedy happened in your area and send my heartfelt condolences to all of Charleston. It's beyond awful, and I know there are a lot of broken hearts today. Thank goodness the police captured the shooter quickly. I hope that gives the victims' families and citizens of Charleston a little measure of comfort and security going forward.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:13 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
there would probably be more vigils than protest. There isn't an "us verses them" mentality going on. Even after the Walter Scott shooting things were tame here compared to Baltimore and Ferguson. Charlestonians are all on the same side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area