Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 06:42 AM

183 posts, read 752,764 times

Advertisements

Since we have been making lists here lately, my question is what were your biggest surprises after moving to Charleston? Good or Bad. What things do you wish you had known before you moved? Were there things you wish you had taken care of before you moved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 10:57 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,997,107 times
I wish I could have mugged my pizza guy from back home and brought him with me!

And I wish people would quit asking me, "your not from around here are ya"

Other than that, I have made Charleston home w/ NO regrets! I do love it here...

Old 01-22-2008, 03:01 PM

73 posts, read 264,067 times
Have you tried Dough Re Mi in Mt. Pleasant? We're moving there soon and our realtor took us there. New Yorkers own the restaurant and it is great pizza.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:45 PM

899 posts, read 3,490,417 times
The New Yorker's came to Dough Re Mi, but the water didn't...

I haven't tried NYPD pizza here in Summerville yet (brand new), but I'm hopeful.
I hit a place in Chicago once that shipped in the tap water from Brooklyn for their pizza.

There's a Philly Cheese Steak place here that ships in Amoruso's (?) rolls.
That's goin' the extra mile!
jim

Old 01-22-2008, 08:15 PM

272 posts, read 908,792 times
Anyplace around here sell Beef on Weck? That's a lucious beef sandwich on a kimmelweck roll, found mostly in W. NY

Old 01-23-2008, 09:03 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,997,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim3310 View Post
The New Yorker's came to Dough Re Mi, but the water didn't...

I haven't tried NYPD pizza here in Summerville yet (brand new), but I'm hopeful.
BINGO!!!! THE WATER DIDNT MAKE IT!! THAT'S THE KEY

FYI - went to NYPD Sat night and waited some 45 minutes to sit down and grub, the place was packed! The ZA, was good not great but good! Make sure to tell them to cook it little well done, was a tad doughy. Good enough to return for me...Make sure to grab you a cannoli on the way out, very good too...

Old 01-23-2008, 11:04 AM

899 posts, read 3,490,417 times
Will do. Thanks for the report! I didn't realize they were that busy already.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:00 PM

355 posts, read 1,449,413 times
Okay, I'm still relatively new to the area and I'm sure more things will surprise me as I continue to start my life here...

1. I am surprised at the amount of people who are SHOCKED and a few that seem to be horrified that I would move from California to S.C.
2. The drivers, are really something. First of all there is no traffic at any time of the day, but when there is...no one uses a signal. They drive SO unbelievably fast, cut you off all over the place, cut each other off, cross from 'fast lane' over to the exit lane in one swoop. It's really incredible.
3. The way the 'upscale' neighborhoods look. When you get into the residential areas of Mount Pleasant for instance, it's fine. But, driving down the commercial streets, (Johnnie Dodds for example) there are weeds, dead grass, dead looking trees and shrubs...rundown buildings/trailers next to businesses next to expensive homes. The first thing my boyfriend and I talked about the morning after we arrived was changing our perception of what good and bad areas look like. If we saw an area like a lot of the main streets of Charleston/MTP etc...we would be high tailing it out of there. But here, it's normal. But, it is taking some getting used to.

And, that for now sums it up!

Old 01-24-2008, 06:13 AM

183 posts, read 752,764 times
Thanks Orangecountygirl!

I've read that the traffic here is a real #$%^&! Here in the sticks though, if you ride someone's bumper too close they are likely to pull a shotgun on you! I drove in DC traffic for years which was a real eye opener.

Are there any initiatives in the area to clean it up? I realize thats usually a long process but could definatly make a difference.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:30 AM

1,710 posts, read 5,679,661 times
Just to comment on the dead grass and shrubs. That's what you see in the winter around here. Almost everyone's grass turns brown (unless you have rye grass) and the summer shrubs die out but start coming back in the spring.

No traffic? I guess you haven't driven the interstate during the rush hours. lol No it's not like DC but it does get bad out there. During rush hour takes me 45 min. to get downtown from GC, any other time takes 20 min.. I do agree with you on the drivers. A big pet peeve of mine is the none use of turn signals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area