Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 12:22 PM

45 posts, read 257,587 times

Advertisements

hello-

i am currently living in Savannah (been there for about 6mos) and had occasion to visit Charleston. i found it really lovely, reminded me quite a bit of neighborhoods in DC and Alexandria, VA, where i am originally from. after the possibility of a job was offered, i am thinking of relocating.

my question is this-- is it a really conservative city? i notice many of the posters on here mention churches and Christian community. that is fantastic, but i am a Buddhist, and not so interested in joining a Christian church. i also have friends of many stripes-- gay, straight, black, white, purple haired, single momed, etc. am i looking at a social life of Burberry scarves and sports bars? what does the presence of the Citadel add to the political and social climate of the city? am i being a scaredy cat?

for reference, my favorite places to live have been San Francisco, New Orleans pre-Katrina, and Seattle (though I hated the weather).

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 12:56 PM

40 posts, read 147,692 times
It is more progressive than would appear. Time is having its effect in Charleston just as it is in Austin, Texas.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:27 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,243 times
We are a FAR cry from San Francisco, though.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:51 PM

355 posts, read 1,449,774 times
SC-

LOL!

That is for sure.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:19 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,209 times
That's like asking "Is Chicago cold?"
Well, yes, sometimes. But during April-Nov it's beautiful and during July/August can be down right hot.

Every city is going to have it's pockets of rights/lefts.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:21 AM

45 posts, read 257,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
That's like asking "Is Chicago cold?"
Well, yes, sometimes. But during April-Nov it's beautiful and during July/August can be down right hot.

Every city is going to have it's pockets of rights/lefts.
true, true, maybe i should make myself clearer. let me rephrase.

is there such diversity among the populace that things like tattoos, weird hair colors and dress, go uncommented upon?

is it easy to meet people if you are outgoing, or is there a degree of reserve among the locals that makes it difficult to get to know them?

are there things to do at night that don't involve sports or church groups?

how tolerant is the attitude toward gays?

what is the arts scene like? local music scene?

how "republican" or "democrat" of a place is it?

hope that's a little clearer

Old 01-24-2008, 11:25 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,563,706 times
Charleston is fairly liberal - in the city. The suburbs would be much less so. I am gay and Columbia and Charleston are the only 2 cities where I would live in South Carolina.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:48 PM

123 posts, read 571,191 times
My nephew, who lives in James Is, has lots of tattoos and facial piercings. He has a great job and active social life, and says he hasn't gotten much shade because of how he looks.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 10,135 times
lululoo is somehow implying conservatives hate gays, "blacks", single-moms, and purple haired people. That kind of generalization is about as ignorant as lululoo implies conservatives are.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:49 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
jodow -- I can see your perception is not the same as mind. Nowhere did I say 'hate' or ignorance in lululoo's comments. HATE and not accepting are not the same thing. I know some folks who are very conservative & don't hate gays but aren't accepting at all. I have met many conservatives who don't hate people with long hair but that are very judgemental towards them. And when I speak of cosnervatives -- I'm not speaking politically. As for being ignorant -- how they express their unwillingness to accept the norm will determine the level of ignorance.

Charleston is not a cosmopolitan city but all kinds of folks live in and around the area. The students downtown, the beach, etc.. means there is an artistic community that will tolerant most lifestyles. Your level of comfort will be determined where you live. Even in San Fransisco, you could end up living next to someone who is not tolerant.

the proper definition of conservative does imply an intolerance or unwillingness to accept things that are different. It isn't saying they are ignorant or hateful.

Definition of conservatism.....

1. disposed to preserve existing conditions, institutions, etc., or to restore traditional ones, and to limit change.
2. cautiously moderate or purposefully low: a conservative estimate.

3. traditional in style or manner; avoiding novelty or showiness: conservative suit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area