Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2015, 04:04 PM

7 posts, read 10,177 times

Advertisements

Hi. I have been searching this forum for information on he Wando area and I am not seeing much info on this area. I am hoping you will be able to help me.

My wife and I are planning to move down to the Charleston area next year and have noticed there are many houses for sale in the Wando area, near Route 41 as well as near Clements Ferry Road. How far is it to either Folly Beach or Isle of Palms? Also, is this is a good and safe area to live? We really love Mt Pleasant but housing is much higher there. Is there is a lot of traffic on 41 going into Mt Pleasant?

As my wife will be working from home full-time, she is concerned about having high-speed, reliable internet. Who would you recommend? Comcast? ATT? Anyone else in particular that would be good for that area?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 04:49 PM

184 posts, read 216,155 times
A lot of people who want more bang for their buck compared to Mount Pleasant and Daniel Island will look at Wando and Cainhoy. There will be some new developments going in over the next few years so keep an eye on that. That area is growing fast now, after a long period of stagnation. Cainhoy Plantation will be the largest development in the Charleston area when it is fully built out.

It is about an hour or so to drive to Folly and 30-40 minutes to IOP from 41/Clement's Ferry.

Since it is Berkeley County, you will have Home Telecom, which is has a pretty good network, but as always, it depends on where you live. HomeSC.com I've heard that most of the subdivisions on 41 have good connectivity and you will pay a premium for it. They are advertising a fiber based network called Velocity and you can get in touch with them to find out what areas are currently serviced.

Most of the people I have met enjoy living over there for the most part. Usual complaints about traffic on 41 or Clements Ferry with fair amount of truck traffic. The proximity to 526 for people that work over in North Charleston is attractive.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:52 PM

Thanks so much for answering our questions. You gave a lot of great information! It is very much appreciated!

Old 07-13-2015, 06:00 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,049,651 times
It is definitely safe out there. I have a friend who recently sold a home in that area and did well (They downsized and moved to Park Circle). You're also not too far from Daniel Island which has a lot of concerts, places to eat, grocery store, etc, but also close to 526 and Mt. P. or North Charleston if you head West. You should come on down and check the area out.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:39 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,424,183 times
I do like the area ... but the only caution I would make is that the Daniel island Company has plans for approximately 20,000 housing units for the site ... SFH, TH , Condo's and Apts ... plus the three new schools...and support services... Rt41 and Clements Ferry Road will be widened ... but youll still have to deal with years and years of construction...

Old 07-13-2015, 07:01 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
The ultimate plan for Clements Ferry Road is to widen it and continue it north thru Charles Marion State Forest and reconnect it to Rte 17 north of or in Awendaw. This is long term and many, many years away. The first step will be to "straighten" out the Rte 41 and Clements Ferry Road intersection. If buying in the area (and there are some good deals to be had), I would want to be sure I was a goodly distance off Clements Ferry Rd so any road and adjoining property expansion would not be close to me.

As for a retirement place keep one thing in mind that many forget. You should be able to control your own schedule so rush hour times might not be as critical to you as they were. Like tee times at 10am, out to breakfast at 11am, doctor appointments at 1pm, late lunch/early supper at 4pm, cocktail hour at 4:00pm, etc. Rivertown Parkway backed up at Rte 41 at 7:30am was never of any interest to me. When I came through there at 9am is was clear as a bell as was the Don Holt.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:19 PM

Thanks to everyone who posted answers to my questions concerning the Wando area. We will be down in October to check out this area as well as some other areas.

Proud patriot, I see you are from West Ashley. We are noticing many houses for sale there which we would also like to check out. Are there any particular areas which you would or would not recommend?

We both love the Charleston area and cannot wait to make it our permanent home!

Thanks again.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:08 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,049,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaves63 View Post
Thanks to everyone who posted answers to my questions concerning the Wando area. We will be down in October to check out this area as well as some other areas.

Proud patriot, I see you are from West Ashley. We are noticing many houses for sale there which we would also like to check out. Are there any particular areas which you would or would not recommend?

We both love the Charleston area and cannot wait to make it our permanent home!

Thanks again.
I work from home like your wife, so safety was a pretty big concern for me and we had to have fast internet (we have Comcast, fwiw).

I live in West Ashley outside 526. Most new construction is out here and some good neighborhoods include Grand Oaks, Shadowmoss, Carolina Bay, and Hunt Club. A few nice neighborhoods off Glenn McConnell too.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:49 AM

Thanks for your help with location and Internet provider. We will definitely check out those areas you listed when we are down there. It is much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area