Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 07:03 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,213,523 times

Advertisements

College of Charleston

About the College

A superior public university with personality to spare.

Located in the heart of historic Charleston, South Carolina, the College of Charleston is a nationally recognized public liberal arts and sciences university. Founded in 1770, the College is among the nation’s top universities for quality education, student life and affordability. Its beautiful and historic campus, combined with contemporary facilities and cutting-edge programs, attracts students from across the U.S. and around the world.

Over 10,000 undergraduates and approximately 1,200 graduate students at the College enjoy a small-college feel blended with the advantages and diversity of a mid-sized, urban university. They work closely with a committed faculty, made up of more than 500 distinguished teacher-scholars. And the city of Charleston – world-renowned for its history, architecture, culture and coastal environment – serves as a living and learning laboratory for experiences in business, science, technology, teaching, the humanities, languages and the arts.

About the College - College of Charleston

>now back to your regularly scheduled program

Old 07-15-2015, 07:09 AM

73 posts, read 158,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEB1786 View Post
1) not even sure what this means, but have you been to downtown Cleveland when a sporting event wasn't going on, and on a weekday? Dead. There isn't even a Starbucks open. There are a ton of restaurants in chs. Granted, Clevelad is actually pretty good on the culinary scene, but they don't have the quantity of good restaurants that exists here between downtown, mt p, and west Ashley.
3) lol ha e you been to inner city Cleveland schools? The schools are lacking here comparatively, but my pleasant schools are some of the best in the state.
4) no kidding, where people want to live it's going to cost more. Same thing in Cle. You wanna live in tremont or Ohio city you are going to pay. Even Solon or Cleveland heights have high costs. Can you get more for $400k in Cleveland than in mt p, probably, but it isn't all that different in nice places.
5) not sure why this is an argument. Cofc is a good school, and USC is 1.5 hours away. Cleveland has Case, and then Kent and Akron an hour away. Nobody wants to go to csu. Grove city in pa also has those silt rules, it isn't a south thing.
6) I'll totally agree on fast food and sports. Other than that this whole post seems like an overly sensitive individual who couldn't fit in (there are anti-gay people everywhere, if that's your beef). You do realize that the nightlife in Cleveland revolves around bars and restaurants as well? (Other than sports). You probably will like Cleveland more, and I liked my time spent there as well. But I also went to cofc, moved back to NE Ohio, and now own a house in mt pleasant and would never move back. The cold is the biggest factor, but also the depressing economics of Cleveland don't help. Ever been to the steelyard on the first of the month? Or anywhere on the east side? What is lacking here that a young person could do in Cleveland that isn't readily available in chs, besides sports?

Cleveland, OH + First of the Month = Bone Thugs n Harmony

Old 07-15-2015, 07:21 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,432,923 times
This seems like a joke, so I hardly believe the post is real. Some you already know , if you are real, people here don't like people coming here from Ohio much anyway. You should go on back.

I do agree with you though on a couple things!

Businesses do close too early here in many place and this is ridiculous. Some people work all day and can't get to a business if you close at 6 pm. Again, it's behind the times here in many places.

Secondly, I agree the schools suck here. It is a tough place to raise children if you want good schooling for them. There are few good schools intermittently spread around all the mostly bad schools throughout Charleston, but you have to make a good effort to find them, and housing is much more in those areas.

I am not from the north like you, I'm southern, but I also may leave Charleston one day. I love the beach, so I would not leave because of the beaches here, they're very nice.
My main reason to leave would simply be : Charleston is behind the times. I am sick of the delay in road improvements for the terrible roads, and lack of infrastructure planning. The delay in I -526 completion is the biggest example of why I would leave and move to a more progressive city. I always consider moving to another beach in the southeast.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:17 AM

2,001 posts, read 1,865,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triley80 View Post
Cleveland, OH + First of the Month = Bone Thugs n Harmony
Thought they were from columbus lol

Old 07-15-2015, 09:23 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,354,507 times
The public schools from K-12 are top notch where I live.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:32 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,729 times
You are leaving here to move to Cleveland, Ohio?? Bless Your Heart! (and the rest of you, too!)

You sound very bitter. Hope you find what you are looking for in Cleveland. Good luck.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:43 AM

I'm from Georgia. But i spent some years living in the Dayton, OH region. I moved to Charleston 3 years ago from Dayton, Oh because of a job opportunity and to be back down south close to family. This is my first time living near the coast and it's nice but i'm not a beach lover and i probably go to the beach 3 times a year (and thats only when friends and relatives visit). Theres pros and cons wherever one chooses to live, but my main reason for choosing the south over the north is because of weather. I love the sun and can't stand the snow. But if cold weather doesnt bother you....Ohio is a great place to live.
This might sound silly but, if Ohio was in the south (warmer weather/no snow), i would probably prefer OH over SC. Cost of living is cheaper, salaries are higher, more job opportunities, better amusement parks (cedar point), multiple professional sports teams (lebron James), tons of D1 colleges universities, tons of community colleges, better zoos, wayyyy better night life, wayyy better infrastructure, drive thru stores, drive in movie theaters.

Just a non bias opinion from a young adult who was born and raised in GA, and has lived in OH and now SC.

Last edited by triley80; 07-15-2015 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 07-15-2015, 11:44 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesposito View Post
Cleveland??? Why not try Detroit?
Lol that was exactly what I was thinking too

Old 07-15-2015, 11:52 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,354,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triley80 View Post
I'm from Georgia. But i spent some years living in the Dayton, OH region. I moved to Charleston 3 years ago from Dayton, Oh because of a job opportunity and to be back down south close to family. This is my first time living near the coast and it's nice but i'm not a beach lover and i probably go to the beach 3 times a year (and thats only when friends and relatives visit). Theres pros and cons wherever one chooses to live, but my main reason for choosing the south over the north is because of weather. I love the sun and can't stand the snow. But if cold weather doesnt bother you....Ohio is a great place to live.
This might sound silly but, if Ohio was in the south, i would probably prefer OH over SC. Cost of living is cheaper, salaries are higher, more job opportunities, better amusement parks (cedar point), multiple professional sports teams (lebron James), tons of D1 colleges universities, tons of community colleges, better zoos, wayyyy better night life, wayyy better infrastructure, drive thru stores, drive in movie theaters.

Just a non bias opinion from a young adult who was born and raised in GA, and has lived in OH and now SC.

That snow must really be an issue considering all the people from Ohio that want to relocate here.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
That snow must really be an issue considering all the people from Ohio that want to relocate here.

Maybe. But i guarantee you there are alot of people from Ohio that have moved to other southern states as well, not just SC. And if you are going to relocate to any city in SC, it would most certainly be Charleston. My famliy lives in the Atlanta, GA area, I guarantee you more people from Ohio have moved there compared to Charleston. But if you go there it wouldn't seem like it because of the size and population of the city. With Charleston being so small, you probably meet someone from Ohio every week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area