U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2015, 09:41 AM

11,560 posts, read 16,515,800 times

Advertisements

It sounds like Spring Street might already be too popular to live there and still be considered a pioneer. When I start looking in earnest, I won't be trying to be too much of a pioneer, but where is the next 'Spring Street' in terms of where to look for a live-work situation that's safe but won't break the bank?

http://www.postandcourier.com/articl...ng-street-boom
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 09:51 AM

2,172 posts, read 2,299,555 times
Well I think not only has Spring Street caught on; so has King and Meeting Streets. Especially with all the new apartments planned for Meeting Street above Line Street. Safe? That may take awhile.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Well I think not only has Spring Street caught on; so has King and Meeting Streets. Especially with all the new apartments planned for Meeting Street above Line Street. Safe? That may take awhile.
I'll be looking for a stretch and a spot where I almost conclude I had better not live there but in the end because there's enough positive about it I decide to do it and a little ways down the road I'm glad I did. Where might I find that stretch and spot?

Old 07-27-2015, 10:28 AM

44 posts, read 43,328 times
Avondale. East Montague. Huger. Morrison.

Large scale commercial/residential building is happening in all of these areas except Avondale (which ironically is why I put it on my list). Like the article says anywhere people can live and walk/bike to work, but the thing is more jobs need to be located downtown for the whole live-work thing to happen, until then it leans more toward live-play.

Also an important thing to consider with this city is that with situations like spring, the infrastructure was already existing it just needed to be renovated. There are very few streets with the potential to be commercial stretches because the peninsula is predominantly residential. So what you are seeing is developers actually having to build everything including the actual street from scratch. So it may be that the new hot street you are looking for hasn't even been paved yet. This is where Charleston is unique to other cities undergoing revitalization. Other cities simply need to renovate neighborhoods, we need to build entire new ones from the ground up.

As far as breaking the bank goes, dense areas are in extremely high demand in general, but especially in Charleston because the supply is very limited/restricted. Although I did read an article recently that interviewed a developer who was quoted as saying that rents probably won't go too much higher because some of the large condo buildings being built are finding tenants are beginning to move off the peninsula because they are tired of annual double-digit rent hikes.

Last edited by thcecchi; 07-27-2015 at 11:50 AM..

Old 07-27-2015, 11:38 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,520,113 times
West side is where my money is going (as for an investment property). Still fairly affordable and a lot to come in the next 10 years (new Boardwalk with shops).

Old 07-28-2015, 03:00 PM

369 posts, read 892,102 times
I would agree with West Side, too.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:17 PM

184 posts, read 193,489 times
Think it is too late to get a good return on the West Side. East Side & NoMo will get you the most for less, but you have to have street smarts and take the long view. Plus, it is the last place in the city you can still raise rabbits and chickens.

This is an old article, but insightful.

http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/c...nt?oid=4849032

Old 08-02-2015, 12:41 AM

40,757 posts, read 19,730,467 times
Y Hit the listings and look and look and look. You won't find the sweet spot by asking someone...you will find it by looking. Not sure I'm explaining it properly....kind of -- by the time someone here tells you it is the sweet spot -- it's not the sweet spot...........

Old 08-02-2015, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Y Hit the listings and look and look and look. You won't find the sweet spot by asking someone...you will find it by looking. Not sure I'm explaining it properly....kind of -- by the time someone here tells you it is the sweet spot -- it's not the sweet spot...........
I'm not ready to seriously look right now, let alone look and look and look. I was just asking for opinions and predictions. So far so good for my current purposes. But thank you.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:05 AM

6,482 posts, read 5,567,122 times
Spring St is not that great, but theres promise as long and I think the city sees it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: