Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 09:50 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times

Advertisements

My experience with track builders -- the consumer all want the same one or two plans. Even when a development has restrictions on how many homes with similar plans can be built within an area.....the consumers DEMAND the same one or two plans as often as they can.

Cookie cutter neighborhoods are as old as communities. In older communities -- over time those houses become unique as people make certain changes, change up the landscaping, etc.......but yes even in a custom home neighborhood -- here in the Low Country you can see the similar house plan on every other house -- it is what it is.

Ironically -- as I defend cookie cutter -- I live in a custom house -- with no other house in the community resembling it at all....lol. Big whoop di doo for me -- lol.

I think once my community is complete there will be a certain charm...but at the same time it could be seen as the one that stands out -- only time will tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 10:01 AM

101 posts, read 110,306 times
Quote:
I just wish mine had some mechanism to stop the truly bad alterations
Any chance the city/county has some kind of ordinance that would prevent these bad alterations?

Although I lean towards having an HOA, there are some horrible pitfalls. My neighborhood actually has an HOA on paper, but it is inactive, no one pays dues and the r/c are not enforced. The subdivision is small so my guess is that because there isn't any common areas, there isn't a need to pay or collect dues for maintenance. So, the HOA became non-existent. The homes are nice, people do try to keep there properties and lawns nice, but you know there is always that one bad apple that makes a person gasp and wish there was some way to enforce the r/c. And before you ask, no one is interested in re-activating the HOA.

When I bought the home, seller disclosed there was an HOA (technically, correct) and the due dues ranged from $50-100. And the seller made it a point to disclose that the r/c specifically prohibited how many dogs a homeowner can have. I feel that their disclosure was misleading to say the least.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:22 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,985,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsausername View Post
I feel like a brat complaining; however, I have to vent..... I have a lovely home but for some reason I cannot for the life of me, get attached to this house. I've done so much work to it, I'm redecorating, constantly trying to bring my taste into the house, but I cannot get attached to this house. I just don't like the house,no matter what I do to it. I would sell it in a heart beat, but currently I'm upside down in it since I've only lived in it for a year. I'm trying very hard to make it work for a least another year, it may take longer, just to minimize my out of pocket money. I have never felt so trapped and it is a horrible feeling. Not to mention, my commute to and from work is an hour or more. IF I had a home that I enjoyed going to, the commute would be tolerable, but because I don't "love" my house, it just frustrates me more. Again, the house is lovely and all of my friends go on and on about how beautiful the house is, but I just cannot stand this house and truthfully, there is no reason for me to feel this way, so I battle myself constantly. There is nothing wrong with this house~why do I feel like this? Perhaps, it simply isn't a fit for me and I want to move.

So, any suggestions on how to sell without losing my rear on the deal?

Again, I know I sound ungrateful, and every day I get up and remind myself how fortunate I am. Geez, see what I mean, I battle myself all the time over this.
If you are really not ready to eat the 15K loss. Try getting OUT of your house more often. Perhaps take up crabbing, playing chess, starting a book reading club, etc to get you away from it all for a while. The perhaps if you spend more time away from the home, you might start to look at it from an outside perspective, thus bringing in a new appreciation (or disdain) for your home.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:07 AM

101 posts, read 110,306 times
Quote:
Try getting OUT of your house more often. Perhaps take up crabbing, playing chess, starting a book reading club, etc to get you away from it all for a while.
LOL - I'm away from my house 12 hours a day.

I'm not hating it as much as I once did, not in love with it, but don't hate it. Plan is to stay put until I can break even.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: