Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2015, 04:42 PM

204 posts, read 184,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
You know you could reply without all the snark. No its not obvious from your posts. You have 10, nor have I seen them all.

I'm not reading all of that. All I want to know is why you're personally against it. And I would still like to know from you, why does 526 start at exit 10?
I think I'll pass on spelling out my obvious objections. If you can't read a short paragraph about the 526 EXT, that shows me you have no real interest in learning what the 526 EXT entails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 04:47 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,448,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas4Life View Post
I think I'll pass on spelling out my obvious objections. If you can't read a short paragraph about the 526 EXT, that shows me you have no real interest in learning what the 526 EXT entails.
I read it. And I have interest, that is why I keep asking you those two simple questions. I didnt know they were so hard pressed.

Old 12-21-2015, 05:06 PM

Okay, you read it. Cool. Let's see. Have you read the traffic study yet? It shows that some parts of Savannah Highway become more congested with 526 EXT. Some parts of Folly Road, the same thing. River Road on Johns Island becomes much more congested. The current 526 becomes more congested in West Ashley. The DOT didn't study downtown as part of their traffic study, but imagine 526 ending at Calhoun Street. What do you think happens there?

The DOT's engineers rank the state's infrastructure priorities based on objective criteria. The 526 EXT doesn't even make their list, which if I remember correctly, has 30 projects on it. Think how insane it is to spend this amount of money on a project that can't make a Top 30 list.

Early on, the County asked the EPA to expedite environmental permits. The EPA refused and then absolutely ripped apart 526, saying its environmental impact was outside the bounds of a project that provided such little traffic relief. DHEC has also refused to permit it.

I have other issues with the corrupt political process that initially approved it, but that's another story. Sometimes good things come from lousy politics, but not with 526. I also know people who live in neighborhoods that would be affected by 526 EXT. Sure, peoples' lives are disrupted by infrastructure projects, but how the heck can you tell a family they have to live with a 4-lane road going right past their house when the road isn't even ranked as a priority?

Old 12-21-2015, 05:07 PM

If you want, I'll post links to the traffic study and the EPA's letter to the county.

Old 12-21-2015, 05:14 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,448,365 times
You still wont answer my question. Just nevermind.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:44 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,865,400 times
Quote:
Okay, you read it. Cool. Let's see. Have you read the traffic study yet? It shows that some parts of Savannah Highway become more congested with 526 EXT. Some parts of Folly Road, the same thing. River Road on Johns Island becomes much more congested. The current 526 becomes more congested in West Ashley. The DOT didn't study downtown as part of their traffic study, but imagine 526 ending at Calhoun Street. What do you think happens there?

The DOT's engineers rank the state's infrastructure priorities based on objective criteria. The 526 EXT doesn't even make their list, which if I remember correctly, has 30 projects on it. Think how insane it is to spend this amount of money on a project that can't make a Top 30 list.

Early on, the County asked the EPA to expedite environmental permits. The EPA refused and then absolutely ripped apart 526, saying its environmental impact was outside the bounds of a project that provided such little traffic relief. DHEC has also refused to permit it.

I have other issues with the corrupt political process that initially approved it, but that's another story. Sometimes good things come from lousy politics, but not with 526. I also know people who live in neighborhoods that would be affected by 526 EXT. Sure, peoples' lives are disrupted by infrastructure projects, but how the heck can you tell a family they have to live with a 4-lane road going right past their house when the road isn't even ranked as a priority?
This is the people in charge fault. Going on to folly beach. A brand new bridge is built but why build a bridge with 1 lane. Widdening it. Pointless to build a bridge with one lane when traffic is already backed up. Samething for 41. 41 has heavy traffic and is gonna get worse but there replacing the old bridge with a one lane bridge.... why????
Savannah highway not really much you can do there. Unless there is alot of money dumped into it.... That's why 526 is important

Old 12-21-2015, 06:49 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,865,400 times
How can someone get upset because they are adding at lane in front of their house to hold the flow of traffic and say they dont wont it but they are the sameones complaining about traffic traffic traffic... doesnt make sense.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:58 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,689,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
You still wont answer my question. Just nevermind.
I think Chas4Life left little doubt as to the reasons why they are against the project.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:23 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,653,629 times
Quote:
It is an extension or an interstate spur. It is not a completion. It doesn't have a high enough speed limit to be designated as an interstate. That's why you always see it referred to as an extension. I'm sorry if it bothers you when people use the correct words for things.
You call it what you want, but it was planned and designed as I-526 'the whole loop' in the 1970's.
The portion left undone, which will pass thru John's Island and on to James Island will complete the original planned highway. So you can call it 'pork', 'extension', or 'loop de loop' for all I care, but I'll guarantee you one thing it "WILL" be built, because it "IS" needed.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
I'll guarantee you one thing it "WILL" be built, because it "IS" needed.
You obviously haven't been paying attention lately. Also, the loop thing is one of those "funny" (trying to be polite by not choosing a different word) pro-526 claims. Tell me where the two ends of 526 would meet to form a loop.

Last edited by Chas4Life; 12-21-2015 at 10:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area