Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2015, 10:53 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I don't think the problem with building roads is that folks fear it will bring more people -- it's how to pay for it. If we had buckets of money to throw at infrastructure then all this discussion wouldn't exist.
In the specific case of 526 and Johns Island, I think it is a fear that roads will bring more people. I know the CCL has that fear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineskyscrapers View Post
Why people think 'not building roads' prevents a population increase is beyond me.
It may not 'prevent population increase' but it can definitely slow down population growth.

I think those people just don't understand that the slowdown in population growth will be too little, too late -- it will only take place AFTER the quality of life has declined so far that it begins to affect housing demand. (In other words, the traffic gets so bad that developers don't find it economical to develop the land.) Sort of like how Berkeley County development is constrained by the capacity of I-26, while values inside Charleston are skyrocketing.

Last edited by le roi; 12-23-2015 at 11:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 11:54 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,790,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
In the specific case of 526 and Johns Island, I think it is a fear that roads will bring more people. I know the CCL has that fear.

It may not 'prevent population increase' but it can definitely slow down population growth.
It doesn't slow population growth whatsoever. I saw that experiment tried in Austin and it failed miserably. Developers keep subdividing and developing, and people keep moving in. It happens every time.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
It doesn't slow population growth whatsoever. I saw that experiment tried in Austin and it failed miserably. Developers keep subdividing and developing, and people keep moving in. It happens every time.

"slow population growth" means the population still grows, just at a slower rate than it otherwise would have.

furthermore, every situation is unique. I'm not saying your experience in Austin is irrelevant or invalid, but it cannot be applied uniformly to every road project.

it is the other side of the coin to the "Roads bring development" argument, where each situation is also unique. e.g., A new road to Johns Island is going to bring development. A new road between Rimini and Lonestar is not.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:59 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,688,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineskyscrapers View Post
I think he was trying to be sarcastic in the response, claiming that the current loop was the one already intended.
I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I understood. You claimed the "loop" would be finished by extending 526 and connecting it with other roads. Chas4Life simply pointed out that the connection already exists. 17 connects in WA and MtP.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I understood. You claimed the "loop" would be finished by extending 526 and connecting it with other roads. Chas4Life simply pointed out that the connection already exists. 17 connects in WA and MtP.
right, but 17 can't be considered part of a "loop" because it goes through the middle of downtown.

the point of a "loop" is to encircle the downtown.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:18 AM

2,310 posts, read 2,957,105 times
Quote:
right, but 17 can't be considered part of a "loop" because it goes through the middle of downtown.

By this logic the loop can never be completed.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:07 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,688,128 times
Quote:

Now, go back and read the post that started this whole line of discussion. #132 by imagineskyscrapers.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:08 PM

295 posts, read 296,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Now, go back and read the post that started this whole line of discussion. #132 by imagineskyscrapers.
Now, go back to the plans from the 70s to find out the intended loop.

Old 12-25-2015, 05:19 PM

606 posts, read 730,420 times
Quote:

I think those people just don't understand that the slowdown in population growth will be too little, too late -- it will only take place AFTER the quality of life has declined so far that it begins to affect housing demand. (In other words, the traffic gets so bad that developers don't find it economical to develop the land.) Sort of like how Berkeley County development is constrained by the capacity of I-26, while values inside Charleston are skyrocketing.
Just remember that Berkeley county is growing northward ie, new Volvo plant. If I'm not mistaken, Berkeley county had more new home starts in 2015 than Chas county.

What SC doesn't have is enough gas tax revenue to keep up with its growth rate. The politicians won't raise taxes unless the voters demand better infrastructure. Sadly not enough areas are growing statewide for the critical mass among state representatives to approve even a modest fuel tax increase. Get used to it if you plan to live in SC.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
By this logic the loop can never be completed.

it isnt impossible to build a tunnel underneath the harbor

Just wildly expensive and impractical
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area