Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2015, 07:16 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,667 times

Advertisements

You can make arguments for uncertain future population growth in the middle of nowhere John's Island as much as you want. Doesn't change the fact that tens of thousands of Charlestonians are affected by real, actual traffic snarls on 26 and 526 right now, every single day.

Redo the exits where 526 meets I-26 so that entrance/exit ramps are separate and entrance ramps do not terminate as quickly. Widen I-26 between exit 199 and Ashley Phosphate, where most of the traffic occurs and there's ample room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 08:10 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,448,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
Redo the exits where 526 meets I-26 so that entrance/exit ramps are separate and entrance ramps do not terminate as quickly. Widen I-26 between exit 199 and Ashley Phosphate, where most of the traffic occurs and there's ample room.
Im on your side in all of this, but if anything on 26 needs attention its from 213 to the bridge, not 199 and Phosphate. That part of the highway and the exits look like theyre going to come crumbling down any minute, and its a tight squeeze, especially on the Neck portion.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:46 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Im on your side in all of this, but if anything on 26 needs attention its from 213 to the bridge, not 199 and Phosphate. That part of the highway and the exits look like theyre going to come crumbling down any minute, and its a tight squeeze, especially on the Neck portion.

Rush hour traffic is the worst from appx exit 199 all the way down to 526. The problem is that between Ashley Phosphate and 526, there's not much you can do. There's no more room to widen, so the only thing they can do is improve the entrance/exits onto 526.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:25 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,448,365 times

Both get bad, traffic wise. Safety wise, it's hard to argue above 526 being worse than below. If you want an easy panic attack, take exit 220 from Morrison onto 26. The worse spot of 26 in all of Charleston in my opinion.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:18 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas4Life View Post
When did "we" vote yes for 526? There was never a referendum on it. County Council voted it down before the political pressure from Bobby Harrell caused them to change their vote.

Face it. If the 526 extension were an effective traffic solution, there's no way the state could take back the money. It's only because it sucks as a highway that there's a reason to pull the plug on it.

And if you're leaving Charleston because of a stupid piece of political pork masquerading as a road project, then good riddance to you. You obviously never were a Charlestonian at heart anyway.

We voted on the 526 completion around 7 years ago with the 1 cent tax increase, it was for the completion, and the public voted in favor of it. The money that was gained was never used for 526.
It doesn't matter that County Council was pressured by Bobby Harrell, he was one of the only people with sense.
526 would be a very effective traffic solution. It's common sense. The state wants to take back the money because the county has waited so long, and the cost has now gone up!!! It is the County Council's fault!

And, yes, I would like to leave Charleston if they can't get rollin with the times, I never will want to be a Charlestonian at heart even though I graduated from University of South Carolina. I will always be a native of Tidewater, Va. That is where my heart is.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:26 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,335 times
Be where your heart is. If you can, especially if you're young. You can't change the city to match your heart. Though I suppose you could change your values to match your city, if you so desired.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:27 PM

204 posts, read 184,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
We voted on the 526 completion around 7 years ago with the 1 cent tax increase, it was for the completion, and the public voted in favor of it. The money that was gained was never used for 526.
That is a complete and utter falsehood, sir. I voted in favor of that tax increase after doing research about its pros and cons. Never was it mentioned that the tax increase would be used to fund 526.

Leon Stavrinakis was county council chairman at that time and he attended a League of Women Voters meeting to inform voters about the proposed tax increase. There is a transcript of that meeting, wherein Leon and other tax supporters spent over an hour talking about the tax. Nowhere in that transcript or in any newspaper article written about the tax will you find any mention of 526.

The fact that Leon and his allies used the tax money for 526 without informing voters beforehand is one of the many, many instances of political lies and corruption that followed 526 like flies behind a garbage truck.

And it sounds like you are a transient Charlestonian at best. If your heart is not here, let those of us who love Charleston decide its future.

Aedes mores juraque curat!

Old 01-06-2016, 12:22 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
And it sounds like you are a transient Charlestonian at best.
I don't understand some people's weird obsession with this whole, "I'm more Charleston than YOU are," thing.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:21 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,986 times
Quote:
That is a complete and utter falsehood, sir. I voted in favor of that tax increase after doing research about its pros and cons. Never was it mentioned that the tax increase would be used to fund 526.

Leon Stavrinakis was county council chairman at that time and he attended a League of Women Voters meeting to inform voters about the proposed tax increase. There is a transcript of that meeting, wherein Leon and other tax supporters spent over an hour talking about the tax. Nowhere in that transcript or in any newspaper article written about the tax will you find any mention of 526.

The fact that Leon and his allies used the tax money for 526 without informing voters beforehand is one of the many, many instances of political lies and corruption that followed 526 like flies behind a garbage truck.

And it sounds like you are a transient Charlestonian at best. If your heart is not here, let those of us who love Charleston decide its future.

Aedes mores juraque curat!

Mr. Life,
I remember that vote and I voted for the increase. The said it was for 'road improvements and projects', so this included anything bettering Charleston County. I voted for Leon recently for Mayor and I am sorry he lost.
I don't believe I am what you would call a transient Charlestonian, I don't care anyway. I am from the southeast and an alumni from the University of South Carolina. Lived on the coast my whole life, could care less about being a true Charlestonian, it is overrated anyway.

Since you quoted the City Seal Motto of Charleston, here's one for you I love:
Attached Thumbnails
Charleston County people for completing I-526-virginia-beach-city-seal.jpg  

Old 01-07-2016, 03:41 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
The tax increases were never earmarked for the 526 extension. There were two, one in 2004 primarily for greenspace and mass transit and the second in 2005 for road improvements. Language of each in the following links:

http://roads.charlestoncounty.org/do...inance1324.pdf
http://roads.charlestoncounty.org/docs/referendum.pdf

Of note, the projects listed for the road improvements were as follows:

Quote:
Widening and improvements to US Route 17/Johnnie Dodds
Boulevard from the Arthur Ravenel, Jr. Bridge to the
Interstate I-526 Overpass

Folly Road (SC 171)/Maybank Highway (SC 700)
Intersection Improvements

James Island Connector (SC 30) Interchange Loop to Folly
Road (SC 171)

Harbor View Road (S-1028) Improvements

Interstate I-526 Loop Ramp to Glenn McConnell Parkway
(SC 61 Spur)

Bees Ferry Road (s-57) widening from US Route 17 to
Ashley River Road (SC 61)

Folly Road (SC 171)/Camp Road (s-28) Intersection
Improvements

Future Drive extension to Ladson Road and the extension of
Northside Drive

Maybank Highway (SC 700) widening from proposed
I-526/Mark Clark interchange to Bohicket Road/Main Road
(S-20)

Roadway Improvements in the Medical University area
including Lockwood Drive (S404), Courtenay Drive (S-550),
and Bee Street (S-551) with additional improvements at the
Courtenay Drive intersections with Calhoun Street (S-404)
and Spring Street
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area