Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2016, 12:24 PM

606 posts, read 730,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chs2014 View Post
The conservationists who are against irreparable harm to our islands and our community. Those who believe it was a colossal waste of taxpayer money.
Perhaps the existing roads should be removed so you're little island can devolve into wilderness again? Imagine how much fuel is burned in all the traffic jams around Charleston. Guess that does no harm to the environment? It's too late, once the first bridge is built to an island, it's always going to be developed.

Other roads will be built instead and I'm sure someday 526 will be completed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 01:12 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,668,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
A lot of taxpayers' money was spent on countless unnecessary studies when many have been done extensively. How did that work out?
Peanuts compared to $700 million+. So the taxpayers dodged a bullet, and we should all be very happy .

Old 05-29-2016, 01:34 PM

204 posts, read 184,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconisgood View Post
I'm sure someday 526 will be completed.
I doubt it. Beltways are holdovers from the 1970s. The people who supported I-526 kept saying it was planned 40 years ago (as if that was a good thing). Time has moved on, and beltways are about as popular now as indoor shopping malls.

Old 05-29-2016, 01:46 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,229,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas4Life View Post
I doubt it. Beltways are holdovers from the 1970s. The people who supported I-526 kept saying it was planned 40 years ago (as if that was a good thing). Time has moved on, and beltways are about as popular now as indoor shopping malls.
I disagree. Interstate 526 has been continuously drugged around for years. The plan goes back to work in progress until something concrete emerges.

Old 05-29-2016, 02:52 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chs2014 View Post
Peanuts compared to $700 million+. So the taxpayers dodged a bullet, and we should all be very happy .
More like we're going to wait until it's $1B then try it again. This issue will never die until it's built. Right now it's a luxury, soon it will be a necessity.

Old 05-29-2016, 03:16 PM

3,838 posts, read 3,064,787 times
The CCL and their NIMBY supporters goal is to delay finishing 526 until it is becomes cost prohibitive. They know the project is not dead. The $700 million today becomes $800 million tomorrow and on and on. 526 could and should have been completed 30 years ago for probably around $200-300 million. Maybe less.

526 will get completed someday due to relentless pressure from tax paying residents that will drown out the fake arguments and deception from the CCL and their NIMBY friends.

But the real blame lies at the steps of Charleston County Council. Another story of disappointment and ineffective leadership. Also, former Mayor Riley and Chas City Council being late in coming to the party did not help. Shame on them all.

Get ready for higher gas taxes, higher sales taxes and tolls. Yes, it will take all three.

Thank you, Dana Beach.

Old 05-29-2016, 06:39 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,427,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The completion of Interstate 526 is not dead, but it has been dealt a setback. I hope the idea to complete it as a four-lane parkway with at-grade intersections is dead.

Charleston County and state entities need to get their heads out of their rear ends and come up with a proactive plan to complete it as an interstate highway using the funds that exist.

Yes indeed my Elder Brother the Knight. You are correct once again. As well as my friend Zuman, a Charleston Native...words of wisdom.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:13 PM

606 posts, read 730,072 times
Quote:
Guess that's why growing cities still build beltways? Or perhaps you haven't traveled much?

The Grand Parkway Association

Old 05-29-2016, 09:41 PM

204 posts, read 184,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconisgood View Post
Guess that's why growing cities still build beltways? Or perhaps you haven't traveled much?

The Grand Parkway Association
Well, Houston is in a class of its own.

Old 05-30-2016, 04:22 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Are you insinuating building a highway around a city is some sort of fad. Comparing interstates to indoor malls, now that's a stretch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area