Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2017, 04:00 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,069,703 times

Advertisements

Blame doesn't fix the problem. Either get the money or forget it. The taxpayers are not a blank check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 07:49 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
I wasnt laying blame, I was letting know why it's so expensive. Yeah

Old 02-20-2017, 05:58 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Yeah and you can blame it on 20+ years worth of delays, lawsuits, and environment studies.
Seattle monorail checking in... same problem with suits and environmental studies. It ate up the entire budget for the project so of course nothing ended up happening.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:29 PM

10 posts, read 10,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Yeah and you can blame it on 20+ years worth of delays, lawsuits, and environment studies.
And on what can we blame the rest of the states serious inadequacies when it comes to infrastructure funding, especially on roads?

Look if SC was like NC and building ring roads around every city and investing mightily in other places like the 73/74 corridor and the recent revamp of the 40/77 interchange at Statesville, then you all would have a point that 526 should have already been built. But SC is not NC.

The fact of the matter is no one outside of Columbia sees anything really meaningful. Myrtle has its new bypass going for it but even that lacks the quality connection to the interstate system that it deserves. Charleston can't even get the funding to maintain what it has, hell I-26 is one of the worst interstates I've been on as far as outdated design, and the fact that y'all sit in traffic every other day for a wreck is the result of this. That and the fact that the 26/526/Rivers interchange is an absolute cluster and existing 526 should have been widened years ago. Mt Pleasant got lucky with its 17 redo. The one on the peninsula fixes storm water and looks pretty but does nothing for traffic.

Basically my point is that if no one is getting $ to fix roads in SC, then in no way should a billion be spent on this one section of road that saves 2 mins in commute time and helps evacuate those who failed to heed the experts' warnings every 20 years or so when a major hurricane hits here?

I'm glad we live in a society where people can challenge the logic of billion dollar projects that decimate wildlife habitats and decrease quality of life for those that actually LIVE along its path. Thankfully we do not just bulldoze everything beautiful without thinking about it first and going through the proper avenues to get it done even if it does take a little longer than expected. I want that bike lane across the river and it's way cheaper and easier and has much less of an impact than a new highway cutting across pristine marshes, but I still suffer from the same delays and studies and arguments as y'all do. I'll stop fighting 526 if y'all agree to stop fighting my bike lane, deal???

Old 02-22-2017, 01:11 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElModChupaPollas View Post

Basically my point is that if no one is getting $ to fix roads in SC, then in no way should a billion be spent on this one section of road that saves 2 mins in commute time and helps evacuate those who failed to heed the experts' warnings every 20 years or so when a major hurricane hits here??
The point is like you said, anything outside of Columbia lacks funding for roads. That means of they are going to let them do it. Why fight roads then turn around and say we don't have them. And if we lose that money they already if you looked have other billion dallor projects in columbia and greenville that the money is going to

Old 02-22-2017, 02:15 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,668,261 times
The 100 million+ dollar, per mile, extension is fiscally irresponsible.

Stop kidding yourselves........ Anyone who thinks this will go forward is dillusional.

Is it election time? This nonsense seems to come along when local politicans are up for re-election.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
And on what can we blame the rest of the states serious inadequacies when it comes to infrastructure funding, especially on roads?

Look if SC was like NC and building ring roads around every city and investing mightily in other places like the 73/74 corridor and the recent revamp of the 40/77 interchange at Statesville, then you all would have a point that 526 should have already been built. But SC is not NC.
I didn't say anything about other states. I said Charleston nimbys and lack of focus was the cause for the high cost today.

Quote:
The fact of the matter is no one outside of Columbia sees anything really meaningful. [...] Basically my point is that if no one is getting $ to fix roads in SC, then in no way should a billion be spent on this one section of road [...]?
Again...I didn't say it should. I was merely pointing out a simple fact on why the road still hasn't been built since the rest of it's sections were finished in 1993.

Quote:
I'm glad we live in a society where people can challenge the logic of billion dollar projects [...] I'll stop fighting 526 if y'all agree to stop fighting my bike lane, deal???
I didn't say anything about bike lanes, why are you so angry? Relax.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
The point is like you said, anything outside of Columbia lacks funding for roads. That means of they are going to let them do it. Why fight roads then turn around and say we don't have them. And if we lose that money they already if you looked have other billion dallor projects in columbia and greenville that the money is going to
You know, some of you keep saying this, but do you have actual proof or is it conspiracy? Like actual quotes of officials saying "sorry every city that's not Columbia." The fact of the matter is SC is poor at funding, period. I posted plenty of stats here, post #28.

SC as a whole doesn't understand the concept of funding. SC is near dead last in it, even though we are the 23rd largest state and a top 10 fastest growing. Montana has more per capita spending than we do.

According to the FTA, Oregon is growing at similar rate and has 1 million less people, yet had $200M for funding in 2016. Utah hasn't even passed 3 million people yet and had $148M. SC? $48M. We ranked 29th out of 31 states with at least 3 million people. SC is 49% smaller than NC, but we've allocated only 16% of what they have. So even if Charleston is being slighted by the state, it doesn't matter much, because the state is still ridiculously cheap.

If you want something done to the roads and more money for Charleston, you gotta demand it and elect the people that are going to fix it and raise funding. Get the bums out of office, or threaten to and then attitudes will change.

And to be fair, regardless of who's growing the fastest, those projects in Greenville and Columbia are needed as well. The 26/126/20 junction in Cola should've been redone before Charleston started it's growth spurt. Now that highway being built through rural Florence, that's a different story. That's definitely a complete waste. Is that a even a truck route? Doesn't sound like it.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:55 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,668,261 times
Well Well Well...Hope everyone is having a joyful Wednesday.

We have a NEW sheriff in town (Chairman of South Carolina Infrastructure Bank Board) Mr. John B. White from the Upstate.

He has close ties to the CCL and very OPPOSED to the EXT-526.

It's a wonderful day in SC y'all .

Old 03-01-2017, 01:17 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,651,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chs2014 View Post
Well Well Well...Hope everyone is having a joyful Wednesday.

We have a NEW sheriff in town (Chairman of South Carolina Infrastructure Bank Board) Mr. John B. White from the Upstate.

He has close ties to the CCL and very OPPOSED to the EXT-526.

It's a wonderful day in SC y'all .
So the governor just had to pick an upstate person huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area