Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2017, 05:05 PM

2,310 posts, read 2,957,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chs2014 View Post
Well Well Well...Hope everyone is having a joyful Wednesday.

We have a NEW sheriff in town (Chairman of South Carolina Infrastructure Bank Board) Mr. John B. White from the Upstate.

He has close ties to the CCL and very OPPOSED to the EXT-526.

It's a wonderful day in SC y'all .
Upstater huh..... I think it's a safe bet we will be seeing even less funding than we have been..,...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 02:28 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,120 times
Awesome news! Charleston County Council approves ordinance for funding of I-526 completion...

Charleston County Council gives final approval to ordinance that pledges $150 million toward I-526 | News | postandcourier.com

Old 03-03-2017, 03:40 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,668,814 times
"The project previously received a commitment of $420 million from the State Infrastructure Bank but still faces about a $330 million shortfall. The county's proposal states that the county would commit to $150 million toward the shortfall, while $195 million would come from regional federal funds."

No Plan = No Ext-526

Once again, FALSE HOPE, but....C'yah in March

Despite making a commitment for $150 million and seeking $195 million from the CHATS Policy Committee, State Senator Larry Grooms, who is on the CHATS committee, said the group voted to endorse the 526 extension project but did not agree to fund a dollar amount. Also that the CHATS board does not currently have the $195 million the county is asking for.
source: http://www.live5news.com/story/34652...-526-extension

Last edited by Chs2014; 03-03-2017 at 03:54 PM..

Old 03-13-2017, 06:14 AM

We will see , your right, if they don't approve it this time, with the majority of the people on the islands wanting it complete, I will give up. I just don't understand your lack of concern for all the commuters on Johns Island only because you don't have to travel that way since you live downtown...You could try thinking about others in life....

Old 03-13-2017, 07:43 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,668,814 times
I've stated my opinion countless times, and given ideas to fix the problem. In March we'll toast together when this is finally over. When all the money will be freed up to better projects. People are suffering everywhere in the state, our roads are crumbling and we cannot afford to maintain our current infrastructure. Traffic isn't just felt on JI, WA, JI. We're feeling it everywhere! Studies show that this extension will have a very limited impact on Charleston’s traffic problems. It's an expensive temporary fix (putting a 1 billion dollar bandaid to fix an open wound). Until we focus our efforts on controlling growth, saving our Barrier Islands, investing in a better mass transit system for the Tri-County. The problem will just get worse.

Bottom line: This money is better used elsewhere.

Last edited by Chs2014; 03-13-2017 at 08:46 AM..

Old 03-13-2017, 07:48 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,211,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
We will see , your right, if they don't approve it this time, with the majority of the people on the islands wanting it complete, I will give up. I just don't understand your lack of concern for all the commuters on Johns Island only because you don't have to travel that way since you live downtown...You could try thinking about others in life....
Not just Johns Island but West Ashley and James Island where they tie up traffic.

I saw a posting for a new neighborhood on Johns Island and thought it looked great. Community dock, nice houses and a great price. Kicker is that you have to drive to Johns Island. But if someone as traffic averse and walkability/proximity oriented as I am is ready to drive to Johns Island and look at something- it will sell.

So while we dilly/dally they are adding more housing units by the day. And commercial construction will surely follow that. In the meantime three lanes on and three lanes off the island.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Not just Johns Island but West Ashley and James Island where they tie up traffic.

I saw a posting for a new neighborhood on Johns Island and thought it looked great. Community dock, nice houses and a great price. Kicker is that you have to drive to Johns Island. But if someone as traffic averse and walkability/proximity oriented as I am is ready to drive to Johns Island and look at something- it will sell.

So while we dilly/dally they are adding more housing units by the day. And commercial construction will surely follow that. In the meantime three lanes on and three lanes off the island.
You are exactly right Mr. Peatie,
They are building more and more housing units and neighborhoods by the day. And, yes there are a few very nice neighborhoods going up in the area of River Rd & Maybank Hwy.

You are dead right, commercial construction is going to follow, and the roads remain a one lane Maybank Hwy and no changes. I sat yesterday at very good lunch at Trotter's in the Town & Country on 17, and looked over and said I could get home in 5 minutes if 526 was completed. Eight miles across the Stono River to help Johns Island, James Island, and West Ashley.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:53 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,864,864 times
So who all is stuck on 526 right now?????... glad I have a car charger.. we need more roads!!

Old 07-19-2017, 04:31 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
So who all is stuck on 526 right now?????... glad I have a car charger.. we need more roads!!
You just need a bridge that doesn't have netting falling on cars.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:42 PM

455 posts, read 670,117 times
17 going toward the Ravenel Bridge from Mount P is completely at a standstill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area