Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2017, 05:08 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times

Advertisements

Tarpageddon 2017.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 05:22 PM

2,310 posts, read 2,957,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
So who all is stuck on 526 right now?????... glad I have a car charger.. we need more roads!!
Not much that can be done about that regardless to be honest..... The only area where they could feasibly build a new bridge farther up would be above the base near where Goose Creek's sprawl is heading. It'd be way out of the way.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:38 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,864,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
Not much that can be done about that regardless to be honest..... The only area where they could feasibly build a new bridge farther up would be above the base near where Goose Creek's sprawl is heading. It'd be way out of the way.
Which would be fine with me. Remember most of the people on 526 in the afternoon live in goose creek or Summerville so it's technically not out the way

Old 07-19-2017, 05:58 PM

2,310 posts, read 2,957,105 times
Quote:
Which would be fine with me. Remember most of the people on 526 in the afternoon live in goose creek or Summerville so it's technically not out the way
The issue is getting permits to build across the forest and the swamps. Also it's out of the way in that they'd have to drive half-way to Huger to get to said hypothetical bridge.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:13 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,367 times
Quote:
So who all is stuck on 526 right now?????... glad I have a car charger.. we need more roads!!
Nah. You're just going the wrong way. Smooth sailin east bound.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:36 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,120 times
Copied from I-526 accident thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic1 View Post
Three points ...you are aware that the assembly just passed a 2 cent tax per gallon on gasoline purchases to fund road improvements ... and an increase from 300 to 500 dollars upon the purchase of an automobile to be used for the same purpose.... both effective of July 1.

Secondly ... Summerville is not Charleston ... neither county nor city ...nor do I note that residents of Summerville are active in charities or civic improvements in Charleston... people who moved there did so for cheap housing ... so they get to pay the price .. if they need a commuting fix into the city ... they can pay for it...which I doubt they would ...if they don't like the commute ... move closer to Charleston. Its a one way issue ... I don't see very many residents of Charleston clamoring for easier access to Summerville.

Thirdly ... the extension of 526 into Johns Island suffers from some of the same issues as Summerville ....asking the rest of us to pay what is now estimated as in excess of a Billion dollars to take 10-15 minutes off their commutes into the city.... but some thing does need to be done ... since they are in Charleston County and a good portion of the development on the island is also in the city. What that is... I have no idea... but the original plans from 10 years ago are a ship that's sailed....no longer economically viable.... but there are some less expensive fixes to ease the congestion.

Cynic,
You are harsh to the people of Summerville, we in Charleston are no better than them, at least I am not.
You are right about the funding starting July 1 for the future road improvements.

But, the biggest issue is your third point. The "rest of you" have no choice in the matter. I have paid for improvements through my taxes for places in Charleston County I do not live nor frequent , such as Mt. Pleasant. Those of us on the Barrier Islands do not want something so bad to help us get into the city of Charleston in 15 minutes, we can already do that. We need a connection to west Ashley from Johns Island. This is want everybody wants. Yes, we are certainly in Charleston County and most all of the developed part of the island is within the City of Charleston. The Phase I from West Ashley to Johns Island is well under a billion dollars. Phase 2 from Johns to James Island, is less necessary, but would be make things easier for all on the island to get downtown avoiding Maybank Hwy. The goal of Charleston County for I - 526 is to get Phase I of the 526 completion going and completed. There is a meeting today at the SCTIB (SC Transportation Infrastructure Bank) in Columbia, SC about this very thing I -526. (I copied your post and this to the Charlestonians for completing I-526 thread where it is more applicable).

Old 07-20-2017, 08:16 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,652,929 times
Here we go again.

SIB board votes to postpone I-526 discussion - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Old 07-21-2017, 04:03 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times
At first I was all about this, but not for $1B.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:13 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,864,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
At first I was all about this, but not for $1B.
But again the money is going to get spent no matter what. In other places of sc because talk of i73 is back up and I'm pretty sure they wouldnt mind using money for they. Not saying sc doesnt need it but we need it more here. Now if i73 was planned to be built and continue to Charleston then I'm all for a fast route to mrytle beach

Old 07-21-2017, 06:19 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,367 times
Quote:
But again the money is going to get spent no matter what. In other places of sc because talk of i73 is back up and I'm pretty sure they wouldnt mind using money for they. Not saying sc doesnt need it but we need it more here. Now if i73 was planned to be built and continue to Charleston then I'm all for a fast route to mrytle beach
That's like me telling my wife that I should buy a new BMW M5 instead of landscaping the front yard because "the money will get spent either way." One is a sound investment that benefits more than just me, while the other is a frivolous pursuit of a twin turbo V8 with 575hp. Sounds good to me, but it's a bad investment.

A billion dollars for the 526 extension is also dumb. It solves nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area