Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2017, 04:26 AM

1,124 posts, read 925,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
The point is like you said, anything outside of Columbia lacks funding for roads. That means of they are going to let them do it. Why fight roads then turn around and say we don't have them. And if we lose that money they already if you looked have other billion dallor projects in columbia and greenville that the money is going to
To be fair, the I-26/20/126 redo is 1.5 billion. But it's already paid for without any of Charleston's money thanks to a piece of legislation signed by Nikki Hailey. And, with it being the DOTs top priority, instead of all interstate needs being top priority, I don't see anything being done anywhere else in the state until it gets fixed or started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 09:56 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,352,750 times
They're repaving 26 from Augusta to Columbia now. It looks to be about 50% complete.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:05 PM

2,310 posts, read 2,957,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
They're repaving 26 from Augusta to Columbia now. It looks to be about 50% complete.
Think they'll ever do I-95? I'm pretty sure they repaved I-20 to Florence not to long ago as well.

Old 07-29-2017, 01:02 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
You mean I 20?

Old 07-30-2017, 02:09 PM

204 posts, read 184,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattig View Post
There is only one member on that board that represents the low country. The rest represent the midlands and upstate.
Charleston used to suck in way more than our share from the SIB back when McConnell and Harrell controlled the statehouse. You can't blame Leatherman and the rest for thinking its their turn at the trough. They also know the 526 extension is a very poorly rated project that was approved only because of McConnell and Harrell. It would be nice if Charleston could get SIB dollars for good projects, but as long as this white elephant is still being fought over, it won't happen.

Old 07-30-2017, 04:48 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,352,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
You mean I 20?

Yes, sorry I-20.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:50 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,430,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas4Life View Post
Charleston used to suck in way more than our share from the SIB back when McConnell and Harrell controlled the statehouse. You can't blame Leatherman and the rest for thinking its their turn at the trough. They also know the 526 extension is a very poorly rated project that was approved only because of McConnell and Harrell. It would be nice if Charleston could get SIB dollars for good projects, but as long as this white elephant is still being fought over, it won't happen.
You continue to only think of yourself and others that do not live on the barrier islands. Even though McConnell and Harrell are gone, we still have some others such as Limehouse, and Sandy Senn. The county has now brought the project to the State Supreme Court , since the SIB backed out of their agreement with the County.
The SIB will now get SIB dollars to complete Phase I of the 526 extension. The most important project for Charleston county and its residents. Phase I from West Ashley to Johns Island is possible for half the total cost. Phase II Johns Island to James Island can follow later. Attached is Phase I and Phase II.
Attached Thumbnails
Charleston County people for completing I-526-i-526-phase-i.jpg  

Old 07-31-2017, 09:01 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,210,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
You continue to only think of yourself and others that do not live on the barrier islands.
I hate to be a broken record but this project impacts more than simply Johns Island/Kiawah/Seabrook/Wadmalaw residents. Its gotten to a point where West Ashley and James Island's surface roads are being suffocated by the traffic to those islands. This would also give outer WA folks to avoid all the choke points on 61. All the bottlenecks from 17/Folly Road/Maybank/61 are carrying over the bridges and tying up Calhoun/Spring/Cannon/Lockwood.

We really need to get people moving in a more orderly fashion.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:48 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,430,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I hate to be a broken record but this project impacts more than simply Johns Island/Kiawah/Seabrook/Wadmalaw residents. Its gotten to a point where West Ashley and James Island's surface roads are being suffocated by the traffic to those islands. This would also give outer WA folks to avoid all the choke points on 61. All the bottlenecks from 17/Folly Road/Maybank/61 are carrying over the bridges and tying up Calhoun/Spring/Cannon/Lockwood.

Thanks Mr. Peatie, for the insight. What Chs2014 fails to understand is all these people in all these areas beside the Barrier Islands are affected. You are exactly right, more reason we need I-526 completed.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:54 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post

Agreed. I just wonder what things would be like if it was completed in the 90's like it was supposed to be. Would the Folly Road/Albermarle Rd/Wesley Dr/St Andrews Road/Fielding Connector intersection still be as big a clusterF? (Seriously whos idea what that?) Would Savannah Hwy still be as desirable, commercially? How would job growth have spread on that side of town?

Johns Island would've sprawled some, but how much? Imo, it probably wouldn't have been much. West Ashley would still be the most desirable spot imo, followed by James Island. More people would use 526 as a bypass rather than a direct link to Johns I.

Everyone wants to blame the state, but you have to point a finger at the extreme nimbyism as well.

The best way to prevent sprawl is to get the government to pass laws and provisions. Otherwise, developers will find a way. If the land is there, and it's fair game, they're gonna go after it. And ironically, that's what Johns I is facing now. Highway or no highway, homes will get built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area