Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2015, 07:26 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chs2014 View Post
Right because we live in the year 2015, and don't have any technology that allows us to know (with marginal error) if something (like a hurricaine) is coming towards us several days ahead of time. The hurricaine argument makes me chuckle .
Right because that technology helped us during Hugo, Katrina, Rita, Andrew, David, Sandy, Irene, Floyd, Camille, etc, etc, etc. Hurricane paths are unpredictable. Even though most models were saying Jaoquin would go out to sea, there was still a chance it would turn and slam North Carolina or Jersey, a couple models even had Jaoquin grazing Myrtle Beach or shifting down to Florida.

Many people are smart and leave ahead of time, and many arent and wait till the last minute/stay and wait out the storm, so the hurricane argument shouldn't make you chuckle because it is a legit issue. Plus there's only 2 ways in and out of Johns Island. If a major storm hit, Main Road and Maybank Hwy could be washed away just like the roads in Columbia, leaving people trapped on JI and barricaded from getting back on. This is an issue that we need to find a way to fix together, instead of hindering everything with all the politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 07:40 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,668,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Right because that technology helped us during Hugo, Katrina, Rita, Andrew, David, Sandy, Irene, Floyd, Camille, etc, etc, etc. Hurricane paths are unpredictable. Even though most models were saying Jaoquin would go out to sea, there was still a chance it would turn and slam North Carolina or Jersey, a couple models even had Jaoquin grazing Myrtle Beach or shifting down to Florida.

Many people are smart and leave ahead of time, and many arent and wait till the last minute/stay and wait out the storm, so the hurricane argument shouldn't make you chuckle because it is a legit issue. Plus there's only 2 ways in and out of Johns Island. If a major storm hit, Main Road and Maybank Hwy could be washed away just like the roads in Columbia, leaving people trapped on JI and barricaded from getting back on. This is an issue that we need to find a way to fix together, instead of hindering everything with all the politics.
Just so we are on the same page of things.

Here is a map of the recent flooding.

If you look closely at the map, you will see that the terminus of the proposed I-526EXT is underwater. So that "small" investment of 750+ million dollars would have not helped at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Charleston County people for completing I-526-map.jpg  

Old 10-08-2015, 08:27 AM

2,310 posts, read 2,957,105 times
Quote:

If you look closely at the map, you will see that the terminus of the proposed I-526EXT is underwater. So that "small" investment of 750+ million dollars would have not helped at all.
I suppose if you want ignore the fact that there are exits that aren't flooded on to James Island, West Ashley and even downtown Charleston yes..... because if you look closely there are off ramps onto the peninsula that aren't flooded. Also I can't for the life of me find that post and courier page you got the image from.... I saw it a few days ago but now I'd like to see how open DI is as of the moment.

Last edited by Ledmonkey; 10-08-2015 at 08:37 AM..

Old 10-08-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
I suppose if you want ignore the fact that there are exits that aren't flooded on to James Island, West Ashley and even downtown Charleston yes..... because if you look closely there are off ramps onto the peninsula that aren't flooded.

But i'm specifically referencing the I-526ext and hurricane evacuations from Johns Island

Old 10-08-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:

Oh please. Yes, if the highway existed, it wouldnt have helped at all because CALHOUN STREET was flooded. Not sure how the Ravenel Bridge helped then, considering East Bay was and still is underwater. Not sure how the bridge into West Ashley helped either considering the flooding that was on Calhoun St, Lockwood, and the Crosstown...

...People using "526" wouldn't have to exit on Calhoun. They could exit in Johns Island, Folly Road, Harbor View Road, and Lockwood Drive, plus the portion that already exists. That map claim is ridiculous. Yes, lets not do anything because CALHOUN ST tends to flood and is the "terminus" of 526.

When a major hurricane (or whatever storm) hits again and people are trapped on and barred from the island, I hope you blame Calhoun Street, like you're doing right now.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:14 AM

Like I said, what's happening now is the same thing that happened to Atlanta. It's just a matter of time at this point.

Residents didn't want the outer loop because they didn't want sprawl, didn't water property values affected, didn't want to hear trucks in their backyards, didn't want the forests destroyed, etc. They figured not having a highway would stop growth. Well the sprawl happened anyway of course, and even though these people dont have to hear trucks in their backyards, they have to spend 10 minutes trying to turn left out of the neighborhood, and I-85/75/285 have become choke points at times.

And now its too late to build that outer loop because the proposed route is now all development. They could make a new route, but it'd be so far out from central Atlanta at this point it wouldn't be much help. And now some residents are fighting MARTA from expanding into the suburbs, yet complain about the traffic.

Charleston is in the same boat. Do something now while theres still open land. If you wait, Johns Island, West Ashley, Cainhoy, Berkeley, etc are still going to sprawl regardless and by then development will have blocked potential routes. And if we cant get proper roads here, you can count on not having a MARTA-like rail system anytime soon.

Atlanta is still livable of course and in my opinion a world class city, but their traffic woes could be so much less if it was for that outer loop. Charleston will still be livable, but if we have 1 million+ people and only 26 and the current 526 and nothing else, traffic woes will be off the scale.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:20 AM

If money flowed like water, all your ideas would come true. But our state is broke, the transportation bank won't give us 700 million. Taxes won't go up, so this post is a lost cause. Pointless.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:40 AM

You're so fixed on 526. I never said million needed to "wasted" on 526. You can squash 526 now and I wouldn't care, but millions needs to be invested in something with a new route and new financing. If the state can't find a way and people don't speak up in support and demand, since we can't seem to curb the growth, we'll just learn the hard way.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:07 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,790,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Like I said, what's happening now is the same thing that happened to Atlanta. It's just a matter of time at this point.

Residents didn't want the outer loop because they didn't want sprawl, didn't water property values affected, didn't want to hear trucks in their backyards, didn't want the forests destroyed, etc. They figured not having a highway would stop growth. Well the sprawl happened anyway of course, and even though these people dont have to hear trucks in their backyards, they have to spend 10 minutes trying to turn left out of the neighborhood, and I-85/75/285 have become choke points at times.

And now its too late to build that outer loop because the proposed route is now all development. They could make a new route, but it'd be so far out from central Atlanta at this point it wouldn't be much help. And now some residents are fighting MARTA from expanding into the suburbs, yet complain about the traffic.

Charleston is in the same boat. Do something now while theres still open land. If you wait, Johns Island, West Ashley, Cainhoy, Berkeley, etc are still going to sprawl regardless and by then development will have blocked potential routes. And if we cant get proper roads here, you can count on not having a MARTA-like rail system anytime soon.

Atlanta is still livable of course and in my opinion a world class city, but their traffic woes could be so much less if it was for that outer loop. Charleston will still be livable, but if we have 1 million+ people and only 26 and the current 526 and nothing else, traffic woes will be off the scale.
I can't rate this post positively enough. I've seen it time and time again in other cities that I've lived in. We need more roads but hate sprawl. Better not waste money on roads, then sprawl happens anyway and people that live or work near where the roads would have serviced are doubly screwed. Unless you can convince the county, developers are going to keep developing wherever they can sell lots and build. It takes so long to build roads, doubly so if they contain the mark of the beast (526), that people really should have given a serious start to this long ago.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:19 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
The aftermath from Joaquin and unresolved issues to improve traffic and to grow smartly in Johns Island should be enough reasons to move forward and complete Interstate 526.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area