Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 07:20 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
I guess I'll have to Google "pluff mud" also, because I have no idea what that is. Can it be smelled elsewhere in the city, or is DI special in this regard?

Yep, all over the low country you won't get away from it with the marshes, creeks etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 07:23 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,943,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post

I think the property values hold because people here are told it's pluff mud.
Too funny. If it burns your eyes out of your head but your told it's a natural part of a healthy ecosystem you can get people to suddenly be totally cool with it.

I think it smells kinda like dirty diaper and Indian food.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Yep, all over the low country you won't get away from it with the marshes, creeks etc....
Everybody says that but I honestly can't smell pluff mudd unless I'm just a few feet from the marsh. I do like the smell though, makes me feel like I'm off work and just kicking back.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:53 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,637,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Ooops! I meant the paper mill, but I realize that wasn't clear from the way I constructed my question. Sorry about that.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:29 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,008,167 times
To be fair, I have smelled the paper mill a few times when I was in Mount Pleasant too, so it's not just Daniel Island.

The people who get the worst of the paper mill smell - oops, I mean the pluff mud - are the people in Daniel Island's "high rent" district - Daniel Island Park because they are almost directly in line with the paper mill across the river.

Katenik, here's an article for you from the local paper -

Good Morning Lowcountry - Post and Courier

Old 02-14-2016, 04:58 AM

480 posts, read 503,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I think it smells kinda like dirty diaper and Indian food.
My wife says the paper mill smells like old wet cardboard. I get a bouquet of acidic/dog farts/pluff mud. She has a much better nose than me.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:45 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,597,311 times
To me a paper mill smells worse than rotten eggs. I had a job once near Canton NC that had me going into that town once a week and I only wished I could have held my breath the whole time I was there. I could never figure out how anyone could stand it. As someone said in a different thread on the same topic, people in paper mill towns used to say it was the "smell of money". I guess you can get used to anything but I've certainly smelled better money...

Pluff mud is a naturally occurring mud that we have here in abundance around Charleston's salt marshes and rivers. It has a strong smell that some folks don't like but I associate it with hours spent in kayaks and other fun endeavors. To me it's a good smell and to my knowledge no one has ever found it to be harmful to one's health. You will pretty much only smell it if you're near the marsh or a river bank. It doesn't travel in a cloud like the paper mill smell does.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:56 AM

480 posts, read 503,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
...it was the "smell of money".
LOL, I'm stealing this line. I usually tell visitors as we cross Don Holt, it's pluff mud. Now I have a new canned response.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:38 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,597,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
To be fair, I have smelled the paper mill a few times when I was in Mount Pleasant too, so it's not just Daniel Island.

The people who get the worst of the paper mill smell - oops, I mean the pluff mud - are the people in Daniel Island's "high rent" district - Daniel Island Park because they are almost directly in line with the paper mill across the river.

Katenik, here's an article for you from the local paper -

Good Morning Lowcountry - Post and Courier
I can't say I've ever smelled the paper mill on James Island (where I do live) but maybe my sniffer isn't the most sensitive. I've never heard anyone mention it out here either.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:05 AM

I just measured it out on a map. Where I find the smell really strong fits within a 4 mile radius of the mill. If an inverse square law can be applied, the ppm's of particulate should dramatically drop off the further away from the source. So if 4 miles is bad, 8 miles should be 1/4th as bad, and 16 miles should be should be almost negligible.
All that goes out the window if your body gets accustomed to it. Then you can't smell it at all, but visitors can and want to know why your house smells so disgusting. Then you just say it's pluff mud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area