Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 05:58 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,429,027 times

Advertisements

Deputies: Main Road at Hwy 17 to remain closed Tuesday night, Wednesday

Posted: Oct 06, 2015 5:08 PM EDT <em class="wnDate">Tuesday, October 6, 2015 5:08 PM EDT</em>Updated: Oct 06, 2015 5:48 PM EDT <em class="wnDate">Tuesday, October 6, 2015 5:48 PM EDT</em>time.prefixdate:before{content:'Posted: ';}time.prefixdate:before{content:'Updated: ';}
By Patrick PhillipsEmail
Connectpphillips@live5news.com

By Live 5 News Web StaffEmail
Connectallwcscdigitalcontent@live5news.com

<li class="wnAddThisTool"><li class="wnAddThisTool">

JOHNS ISLAND, SC (WCSC) - Officials with the Charleston County Sheriff's Office say Main Road at Highway 17 to Main Road and River Road will remain closed Tuesday night and Wednesday.
The sheriff's office says the county's public works department and SCDOT will continue to work to clear obstructions in the drainage system.
According to the sheriff's office, authorities have removed all abandoned vehicles from the roadway that were stuck in flood waters.
"Motorists are encouraged to plan accordingly by taking alternate routes tonight and tomorrow to travel to and from Johns Island," officials with the sheriff's office said."The SCDOT and the Charleston County Government are working to reopen the road."
Click here for the full list of reported road closures across the Lowcountry.
Copyright 2015 WCSC. All rights reserved.

When will they do something like the overpass or complete 526 to end this chaos everytime there is flooding or heavy rain?? Johns Island and James Island traffic is a mess now for the last 2 days because of the closing of Main Rd. There is only one way off Johns Island onto James Island and Maybank Rd is backed up all day. This also happened one month ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 06:01 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,956,010 times
The overpass won't help with the rain though.... it will just make it faster to get on and off the island in good weather because it will eliminate a stop light for the most part.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:07 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,864,170 times
Well mmaybe everyone should get together now on johns island to push for 526 instead of being againts it before one day yall have to take boats to get to the main land

Old 10-07-2015, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Well mmaybe everyone should get together now on johns island to push for 526 instead of being againts it before one day yall have to take boats to get to the main land

This is funny, but true. Soon, I will need to take my John Boat to get back on the island, I read a young pregnant lady somewhere over the weekend flood was taken by canoe by the police to the ems vehicle. She made it to the hospital and the baby is healthy! It wasn't Johns Island, but may be in the future - canoes and kayaks to get off the island.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:40 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,596,699 times
That's gotta be rough for the folks who have to leave Johns Island during rush hr. Maybank was overloaded already! Is it just the area right at the foot of the Limehouse bridge or is there more?

Old 10-07-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
That's gotta be rough for the folks who have to leave Johns Island during rush hr. Maybank was overloaded already! Is it just the area right at the foot of the Limehouse bridge or is there more?
It's just there at the foot right at 17 & Main. Yes, Maybank is a disaster

River & Main was closed over the weekend, but I don't know now, because I'm not driving there to find out!

Old 10-07-2015, 07:02 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,596,699 times
There's actually less closed roads in Chas county than I would have guessed if this list is accurate:

http://info.scdot.org/Storm/StormDro...losingsMap.pdf

Old 10-07-2015, 07:16 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,232,811 times
The closure of Main Road because of flooding is one of many reasons why Interstate 526 needs to be completed.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:42 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,049,292 times
I live right by Main Rd (and I know how long it takes for the county to do things). I don't ever really expect them to fix it. If they ever do, it would be great.

As someone who lives about a mile from this intersection, it's something I've come to expect and live with...

Old 10-07-2015, 11:35 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,652,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
This
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: