U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 06:11 PM

119 posts, read 225,412 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a job relocation to charleston and will be spending the weekend there. What should I do and see to get an accurate "feel". For the area? Looking for housing in my.pleasant and Daniel island...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 06:37 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,077,494 times
I just drove around and around and around. I drove around Summerville, Goose Creek, and Charleston.

Daniel Island is really small so that should be easy enough to explore...just swing into one of the places to eat and drive around the residential area. Mt Pleasant will take more time....drive 17 to get the feel of the stores in the local area but then drive in the more hidden residential areas (subdivisions).

If you know where you are going to work....maybe drive the route. Weekends won't compare to the traffic but you could figure out traffic patterns once you get a feel.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:27 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,325,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbard53 View Post
I'm considering a job relocation to charleston and will be spending the weekend there. What should I do and see to get an accurate "feel". For the area? Looking for housing in my.pleasant and Daniel island...
Nothing beats having a broker show you around...On Daniel .. go to the offices of Daniel Island Real Estate on the island...for Mt Pleasant ....Agent Owned .. or Carolina One ... and there are a number of others ...as well....give them an idea of what youre looking for... and youll save a lot of time ...and assure you've seen a good representation of the area... you shouldn't sign a brokerage agreement ...tho they may ask ... just tell them you just want an overview of the area. Making appointments ahead of time would be polite tho. Its a relatively slow time of year for these family focused neighborhoods.

A trip downtown... to the historic area ...get a feel for the center city you are looking to relocate to... shopping, restaurants, cultural amenities..etc .. .and to the beaches as well ..

Good luck .. and have fun !

Old 10-09-2015, 07:47 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,064,929 times
You'll have a hard time getting a real feel for the entire area in 2 days. Downtown Charleston is the main draw for the surrounding towns, so spend as much time as you can around the lower peninsula. The beaches are the other attraction that you definitely should visit.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:34 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,337,344 times
You'll have a hard time getting a real feel for the entire area in 2 days.

Yes, it will definitely take more than 2 days for you to get an "accurate feel" for this area. When we were considering moving here for a job relocation, we made several visits.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:32 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,825,814 times
We had spent several weeks of vacations in Charleston in years past and were very familiar with it as well as MtP and the beach communities, but had never even been aware of Summerville. Upon accepting a job offer down here, my husband spent about two weeks scouting for a town and location that met our needs and in which we would feel at home. Lo and behold, here we are in a wonderful old neighborhood in Summerville.
It was well worth taking the time.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:28 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,938,591 times
We were only able to spend a day here trying to find a place to live. My husband got his job and we had to pack up and move pretty quickly. If we had more than a day to explore the area, we certainly would have at least stayed overnight or for a long weekend.

You can explore the area in 2 days, but the key is to do your homework and know where you want to explore. Know what your priorities are with budget, location, etc before you go to a neighborhood. If you've narrowed it down to Mt. Pleasant and Daniel Island it sounds like you've done that.

I did a *ton* of research online, including on this forum, and narrowed it down to specific areas and apartment complexes to visit. It's tough but you can do it. You *do* want to visit the complexes or homes and don't just go off pictures because they can really fool you with camera angles!

I would also recommend making a commute to the job when trying to decide on a place to live. For example, I'm really glad we didn't visit Summerville because while it isn't super far, mileage wise, from where my husband started working, it would have been a crazy bad commute compared to where we live in West Ashley. If I hadn't done my research... I'm pretty sure we would've fallen in love with Summerville and he'd be making that miserable commute.

We also rented for a year before we bought. We bought 3.5 miles away from where we rented, but it was good to have time when we weren't locked in to explore and figure out it was right for us. We considered other areas for buying, but the pros of Way Out West Ashley outweighed the cons for us.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:16 AM

2,575 posts, read 3,627,305 times
hubbard53, are you looking to rent or to buy right away? I would suggest renting first for at least 6 months, so you can get a feel for the area.

We're renting at Greystar Daniel Island - Charleston Apartments | Daniel Island Village Apartments It's a great pet-friendly complex with underground garages, a gym, clubhouse for events, and biking/walking trails right outside the door. Very well run complex. Nice apartments. Next door is Talison Row, another upscale complex. We saw both, but Talison Row doesn't have the ponds and green space Greystar does, the apartments are more jammed together.

Right across the street from the rental office at Greystar is one of the walking/biking trails. Take some time to walk it a bit. It will give you a feel for the trail system (paved). There are trails all over the island that interconnect the neighborhoods.

From the apartment complexes you can drive down Seven Farms Dr (the main drag on Daniel Island), and check out the shopping area with the grocery store (Publix), banks, wine store, pet store, UPS store, etc. Across the street is the Family Circle Tennis Center, where the Family Circle Cup is held (women's tennis) each year, and concerts and events throughout the year.

Next to the Tennis Center is a small dog park, and a recreation area (outdoor). There's also a nice park across from Bishop England High School as you drive down Seven Farms with a volleyball court and lots of green space.

Off of Seven Farms Dr., before you get to the downtown area, take a right onto Daniel Island Drive, and drive down to the library (on the right) and further down to Smythe Park (on the left).

Further down Seven Farms (just before all the shops/restaurants), take a right onto River Landing Drive. There are numerous condo complexes that sometimes have rentals, and a new apartment complex - Simmons Place - going in there as well. More of an "urban" feel than Greystar/Talison Row. Drive to the end of River Landing Dr. (beautiful road at the end with gorgeous live oaks) and park at Children's Park. There is a trail that runs along the water on the left and right. One of our favorite restaurants is also here - Sermet's. The Daniel Island real estate office is also down there at the end and you can pop in.

As you drive down Seven Farms past the shops, restaurants, businesses, Family Circle will be on your right. Continue under the overpass, and at the light take a right onto Island Park Drive. This is the "ritzy" section of Daniel Island, but worth a drive through. It's beautiful.

If you are thinking of buying, you might also want to see one of the pools - maybe Pierce Park pool. When you stop in at the RE office, they can give you a map of Daniel Island.

There is a hotel on Daniel Island - Charleston SC Hotels - Hampton Inn Daniel Island - nothing fancy, it's a Hampton Inn - but adequate, and a great base for exploring Daniel Island and Mount Pleasant, especially since you are short on time.

This site gives you more info on Daniel Island and you may be able to download the map ahead of time - Island Living - Daniel Island, SC

Daniel Island is only 10-15 min from Mt Pleasant, so it will be easy to explore from there if you stay there. Mount Pleasant has the "old" section - older homes, more of a "beachy, community feel", (South of Isle of Palms Connector), and "north Mount Pleasant", which has more of a "new subdivision feel". There's no downtown to Mt. Pleasant, Rte 17 cuts through the center.

Not sure of your budget, or if you are looking to rent which I can't help with in MP, but I would check out I'on, Snee Farm, Seaside Farms, Belle Hall, Longpoint (South), Brickyard and Hamlin Plantation (mid) and Carolina Park, Charleston National, Rivertowne (CC and On the Wando - 2 different parts) Park West and Dunes West (you will need a pass from a realtor to get beyond the gates) - (North).

These should at least give you a good "feel" for the different types of developments, locations, and housing styles available.

While in Mount Pleasant, go to Patriot's Point, get out and walk the Pier at Waterfront Park. Drive through old Village and to the end of Pitt St., and get out and walk the fishing pier. Have lunch at Shem Creek - Water's Edge probably has the best food - view is good at any - Waters Edge, Red's Vickery's, and Tavern and Table.

Drive to Sullivan's Island (you could also have lunch here - Poe's Tavern is great) and Isle of Palms. Part of Isle of Palms is private (Wild Dunes) and you won't be able to get in.

If you'd like to stay in Mount Pleasant, and something a little nicer than a Hampton Inn, Old Village Post House is very reasonable, lovely (5 rooms, I think) and has a great restaurant and courtyard. It's in Old Village which affords great walking at night. Beautiful part of Mount Pleasant, but mucho bucks.

There are 2 hospitals in Mount Pleasant - E. Cooper in the South and Mt. Pleasant Hospital in the North. Numerous shops/restaurants. You should also see Towne Centre, which is very near Brickyard. An outdoor "mall" - very nicely done. While at Belle Hall, go across the street and see the "Shoppes at Belle Hall", a big shopping/restaurant complex. While at Seaside Farms, you can drive into the "Shoppes at Seaside Farms" - another shopping complex. Park West also has a small shopping/restaurant complex at the entrance, and a recreation center.

If you have time to venture into downtown Charleston, rather than drive what I would do is drive to the Charleston Harbor Marina in Mount Pleasant (at the end of Patriot's Point Rd) and take the water taxi - $10 for an all-day pass. It stops at Patriot's Point in MP, the Aquarium in Charleston, and Waterfront Park in downtown Charleston. Very relaxing way to get downtown, cheap, and great views. It only takes about 10 min if that from MP. You can get out at Waterfront Park and explore the historic area of downtown on foot very easily.

That should be enough to keep you busy for 2 days. If you need more info. of have questions, feel free to PM me.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:34 AM

2,575 posts, read 3,627,305 times
Oops, sorry, forgot to post this link for you to the water taxi - Charleston Harbor Resort & Marina | Charleston Water Taxi

This sounds like a LOT to cram in, but if you get up early, and plan your route(s) well, it's certainly doable. Daniel Island is relatively small, so won't take long to see the places I mentioned, and if you group the subdivisions in MP into South, Mid and North, you won't be backtracking.

I forgot to mention, for apartments in MP, check out The Boulevard, on Coleman, in the South (older) section of Mount Pleasant. Lots of restaurants around there.

I wouldn't try and see any houses at this point - you won't have enough time. This will just give you a 'feel" for the area. If you have time, you may also want to check out Palmetto County Park in MP - Palmetto Islands County Park | Charleston County Parks and Recreation - this is right next to Longpoint subdivision.

Last edited by macalan; 10-11-2015 at 05:35 AM.. Reason: forgot to add town name

Old 10-11-2015, 11:57 AM

12,115 posts, read 17,160,906 times
I've lived in Charleston for three months now. Here's a whirlwind breakdown of where all I've been, not from setting out to go to these places but because that's where my obligations and leisure have taken me. I feel like I have gotten a good feel for the Charleston region across the board from my regional travels.

The peninsula/historic Charleston, of course
West Ashley from the Ashley River to Bees Ferry Road, including the Savannah Highway, Sam Rittenberg Blvd., Highway 61, etc.
A good bit of Mt. Pleasant, including Shem Creek, the Long Point Road area and the area that flanks Tommy Dodds Blvd.
Sullivan's Island > Isle of Palms > the intercoastal waterway bridge from Isle of Palms to Mt. Pleasant
James Island > Folly Beach, including James Island County Park and a meal out and a couple of walks on the beach
Johns Island > Kiawah
North Charleston (Tanger Outlet area and Rivers Ave. area)
Summerville

While I wasn't a complete stranger to Charleston before moving here, I feel like the points I've hit have helped me claim it as my new city in terms of pretty much knowing my way around. I hope this information helps for mapping out a few 'size-it-up' excursions over two days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area