Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 01:13 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I never got how so many SC cities look like Swiss cheese. If you're surrounded by a city, it's safe to say you're enjoying the services of that city. Not sure how every block gets to decides individually if you get annexed or not
south carolina has voluntary annexation rather than forced annexation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 01:17 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
How is having the personal responsibility to know where you live, what elections you can vote in, and where to vote a political belief?
personal responsibility isn't a political belief

however, suggesting that municipalities shouldn't take steps to inform their citizens where/when/how to vote on account of "personal responsibility" -- that is definitely a political belief.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:51 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,448,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineskyscrapers View Post
I've always hated this. National elections, fine. But local when you'll be gone in less than 4 years. PAAA-LLLEEEASE.

Last thing we need is someone putting up votes for a cause, then taking off before their term even ends.
I doubt this is a Charleston only thing.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:55 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
If you don't know what town you live in we don't need your vote. There's nothing more annoying than somebody voting for something when they have done a minimal amount of research on figuring out where they actually live. Somebody really thought they cared so much about an elected official enough to vote for them but didn't realize they weren't even represented by them?

That being said the Swiss cheese shaped city limits is stupid. The fact that Daniel Island is actually Charleston City limit is just absolute nonsense. You can't get there from real Charleston without driving through another city and its not even in Charleston County. The term "forced annexation" sounds bad but apparently there's a reason the rest of the planet does it this way.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:22 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,448,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
That being said the Swiss cheese shaped city limits is stupid. The fact that Daniel Island is actually Charleston City limit is just absolute nonsense. You can't get there from real Charleston without driving through another city and its not even in Charleston County. The term "forced annexation" sounds bad but apparently there's a reason the rest of the planet does it this way.
I agree our annexations laws are dumb, but Daniel Island is a bad example. County lines dont matter. Atlanta is in Fulton and DeKalb, NYC is in 5 counties, Aurora Colorado is in 3 counties. Theres 34 states that have cities in multiple counties.

And you can't get to it because geography. Not a big deal. You cant get to northern Beaufort County from southern Beaufort County and vice versa without going through Jasper County, but theyre still considered one.

I think a better example is how downtown and Daniel Island is fully annexed, but then West Ashley and James Island have holes everywhere. Just having James Island's holes filled alone would push Charleston over 150,000.

Ps SC isn't the only place that does it like this. Plenty of states have their annexation issues and outdated methods.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:19 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineskyscrapers View Post
I've always hated this. National elections, fine. But local when you'll be gone in less than 4 years. PAAA-LLLEEEASE.

Last thing we need is someone putting up votes for a cause, then taking off before their term even ends.
How long have you lived in Charleston?

Old 11-06-2015, 05:09 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,353,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
How long have you lived in Charleston?
I believe his point wasn't the amount of time here, it was the amount of time they would be staying... transient residency.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:27 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
I believe his point wasn't the amount of time here, it was the amount of time they would be staying... transient residency.
I understood his point. Not all college students are transient. Many, many CofC students get jobs and work here after graduation. So, I ask again, imagineskyscrapers, if this is your brilliant idea to prevent Americans from voting where they live because of an assumption that they might potentially leave prior to the completion of a term, tell us how long have you lived here and how we can be sure that you will not relocate?

Old 11-06-2015, 06:26 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
I understood his point. Not all college students are transient. Many, many CofC students get jobs and work here after graduation. So, I ask again, imagineskyscrapers, if this is your brilliant idea to prevent Americans from voting where they live because of an assumption that they might potentially leave prior to the completion of a term, tell us how long have you lived here and how we can be sure that you will not relocate?
There are people/families (Non/College Students) who move in/out within a few months or a year or two, They are more transient then the college students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area