Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 07:43 PM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times

Advertisements

He ran on a campaign that was about making Charleston not only the best place to visit but the best place to live. He also wants to focus on West Ashley's main thoroughfares with beautification and road improvements.

John Tecklenburg wins Charleston mayor’s race - Post and Courier

Old 11-17-2015, 07:50 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,945,158 times
To old-timers here, from a semi-ignorant Summerville transplant wonk...
What was Riley like when younger and first elected? In other words, what were people saying, what was he about at the start, and how did he evolve?

How do you see this next mayor following after him?

Old 11-17-2015, 08:20 PM

3,590 posts, read 4,350,387 times
That's to bad. Riley was a centralist. One of the reasons he stood up for the cruise terminal and against the CCL. Tecklenburg served on the CCL. It's a shame.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:27 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
More disappointed than happy. He also wants a moratorium on hotels and special events, which to me is so stupid. Tourism is one of our big hitters, and you want to slow that down why?? The please the downtown crowd, like always. Imagine if Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head did this. So dumb. If youre worried about d-town being overrun by tourists...it already is, and I see no problems. Dont understand whyd you want to press pause...

And yeah he says hes for 526, but I still dont understand how you can be for that but not for Sgt Jasper, a smaller and less impactful project. Sgt Jasper wont be going over wetlands...

Hopefully he does fulfill his promise on affordable housing. Guess we'll see. Im anxious to see how hes going to fix West Ashley. Still feel they get neglected.

Honestly his preservationist background scares me. I just hope Charleston's boom is not handicapped by it. Charleston will always be a unique city, but if we keep scotch guarding everything, how will we fully prosper?

Old 11-17-2015, 09:41 PM

295 posts, read 296,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
More disappointed than happy. He also wants a moratorium on hotels and special events, which to me is so stupid. Tourism is one of our big hitters, and you want to slow that down why?? The please the downtown crowd, like always. Imagine if Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head did this. So dumb. If youre worried about d-town being overrun by tourists...it already is, and I see no problems. Dont understand whyd you want to press pause...

And yeah he says hes for 526, but I still dont understand how you can be for that but not for Sgt Jasper, a smaller and less impactful project. Sgt Jasper wont be going over wetlands...

Hopefully he does fulfill his promise on affordable housing. Guess we'll see. Im anxious to see how hes going to fix West Ashley. Still feel they get neglected.

Honestly his preservationist background scares me. I just hope Charleston's boom is not handicapped by it. Charleston will always be a unique city, but if we keep scotch guarding everything, how will we fully prosper?
I wouldn't worry about it. They were practically the same candidate with just different approaches and personalities. If you told me the one responsible for Upper King was also a preservationist, I'd laugh in your face. Most of the things he said he would limit would bring lawsuits or was just grandstanding to get votes. "Pause" on hotels until the policies are reviewed? That means he'll read them and then sign the okay. It's not like they can reject the Master Plan's zoning and not bring lawsuit after lawsuit. He can't do much about the cruise port eithee. It's state land backed by federal dollars. Good luck with that.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:59 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
I also could not tell the practical difference between the two candidates. Both for 526, both against Sgt Jasper, both with somewhat vague transportation plans. I think Tecklenberg's site said something about being against gentrification (a drawback IMO, I can easily think of several neighborhoods that need to turn things around). Idunno, guess we'll see how things go.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:50 AM

259 posts, read 453,989 times
I'm a Tburg voter who is pleased he won, and quite decisively.

He believes in equally balancing resident needs while still growing the tourism sector.

His goal of making Charleston a great place to live as well as visit is welcome and overdue. Joe was great in many ways but too deferential toward tourism and developers, I'm hopeful about a more equitable approach now.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:26 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
I also could not tell the practical difference between the two candidates. Both for 526, both against Sgt Jasper, both with somewhat vague transportation plans. I think Tecklenberg's site said something about being against gentrification (a drawback IMO, I can easily think of several neighborhoods that need to turn things around). Idunno, guess we'll see how things go.
People really don't want places like Upper Meeting gentrified? I think the gateway to the city could be a little jazzier than blighted buildings and homeless camps.

If there is no difference between the two, why such big support for the guy with no political experience? If anyone thinks they can get 526 finished with some state funding, it seems like the one who is already well known at the state legislature would be the better bet.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:55 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftaway123 View Post
His goal of making Charleston a great place to live as well as visit is welcome and overdue.
Charleston is already a great place to live and visit.

(Excusing everything being ridiculously expensive).

Last edited by Jandrew5; 11-18-2015 at 08:48 AM..

Old 11-18-2015, 08:05 AM

295 posts, read 296,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
I think Tecklenberg's site said something about being against gentrification.
I still find it hard to believe that he would be against gentrification when he claims responsibility for "Upper King revitalization".

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftaway123 View Post
He believes in equally balancing resident needs while still growing the tourism sector.
I am also very interested in the balancing that will be done. I just hope he can weed through the idiocracy: "WAHHHH, It's too noisy at 2am when I chose to live next to a bar. WAHHHHHH!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
People really don't want places like Upper Meeting gentrified? I think the gateway to the city could be a little jazzier than blighted buildings and homeless camps.
Preach it! Most GPS routes will take people, especially those from out of town, down Meeting because it's a thoroughfare, but it's absolute junk until you hit the hotels. I thought they said last year that the housing behind the Grant Home (white brick buildings) was going to be torn down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area