Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 03:29 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,374,030 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some 55+ mobile home parks along the charleston to beaufort areas, not the jerry springer type trailer parks but one for older retired folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 09:39 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,429,314 times
I don't believe we have any "55 and over" communties -trailer home parks or regular single family homes. You may want to look in Florida.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:54 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
[snip]not the jerry springer type trailer parks but one for older retired folks.
OMG, you don't actually believe everything you see on tv, do you? Trailer parks have historically appealed to first time home renters and buyers alike. The rumored "trailer trash" personailities can be found anywhere, including posh neighborhoods and 55+ parks.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:19 AM

899 posts, read 3,490,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachme View Post
I don't believe we have any "55 and over" communties -trailer home parks or regular single family homes. You may want to look in Florida.
We've got them.
Del Webb: Del Webb Charleston : Get Away (broken link)
Pines at Gahagan: Summerville Homes, Pines at Gahagan in Summerville, SC
The Elms Plantation: Summerville Homes, The Elms Plantation, Phase II in Charleston, SC

But I think you may be looking for something like Southern Palms:
Jensen Communities | Communities | Connecticut
jim

Old 02-03-2008, 12:33 PM

267 posts, read 1,019,523 times
Default Trailer park show

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
OMG, you don't actually believe everything you see on tv, do you? Trailer parks have historically appealed to first time home renters and buyers alike. The rumored "trailer trash" personailities can be found anywhere, including posh neighborhoods and 55+ parks.
There is a hilarious show that is filmed up in Nova Scotia, Canada called "Trailer Park Boys". Trailer Park Boys

The show has a great cast of characters and some pretty original humor. Yes, it plays on all the stereotypes, but it has a huge cult following. Back home, I once met the producer and the show lives up to it's legend. They have been kicked out of every trailer park they have ever filmed in. I guess the residents don't like how they are being portrayed...

Old 02-03-2008, 01:31 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,374,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim3310 View Post
We've got them.
Del Webb: Del Webb Charleston : Get Away (broken link)
Pines at Gahagan: Summerville Homes, Pines at Gahagan in Summerville, SC
The Elms Plantation: Summerville Homes, The Elms Plantation, Phase II in Charleston, SC

But I think you may be looking for something like Southern Palms:
Jensen Communities | Communities | Connecticut
jim
THATS WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR....SOME PEOPLE cant get the stereo type of the trailer trash out of their minds...to bad they are so closed minded.
Im going to check out fl next month thanks for the information

Old 02-03-2008, 01:39 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,925,638 times
I don't think the OP meant any harm in his/her post. I thought the "Jerry Springer" remark was quite humorous.

I lived in a mobile home park for several years and it was very quiet and safe. There were several doublewides (this was in the 1980s) that sold for over $100,000 so these weren't just poor people. But I also had some neighbors who were poor, some who were uneducated and a few with a only couple of teeth left, but they were also the first to share a plate even if it was their last meal.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:00 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,925,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
THATS WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR....SOME PEOPLE cant get the stereo type of the trailer trash out of their minds...to bad they are so closed minded.
Im going to check out fl next month thanks for the information
Try these links for FL parks. IMHO they aren't great investments, but you know what you are looking for, so it's none of my business. There are both leased lots and resident owned parks. In FL chances are you'll be paying over $100,000 for a decent home. If it's on leased land, you'll pay less, but the rent will probably be over $500 a month.

[URL="http://www.nmhs.com/"]Florida retirement communities, manufactured home, rv retirement parks.[/URL]

[URL="http://www.seeriverwalk.com/"]RIVERWALK MANUFACTURED HOME RETIREMENT COMMUNITY[/URL]

Old 02-03-2008, 03:32 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,762,288 times
Try The Villages in Lady Lake, FL. My aunt and uncle have lived there for 25 years and love it! They sold a 3,000 sq. ft. home in an executive-type neighborhood to move down there and have never regretted it. There are many different sections, each with its own personality. It is a gated community with LOTS of amenities....even have their own shopping, restaurants, golf courses, tennis, pools, town square where they have dances several night a week, their own TV stations, etc. I'm not sure if these qualify as mobile homes or modular homes, but they are very nice. People there are really into their lawns and driveways....I mean customized paintings on their driveways, which look like works of art!!

Old 02-03-2008, 03:44 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times
There are a couple of very beautiful ones in SC in the Murrells Inlet area.......the quiet area of Myrtle Beach as a whole.
They were reasonable, with nice homes, and a pool, club......Some on a pond.
Let me know if SC is on your list of places to check. I'll post you some names, of the 55 communitites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area