Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 07:42 AM

108 posts, read 101,465 times

Advertisements

Thanks for posting the video, it appears to be nicely produced and attractive. I'm seeing modest growth in the local tech scene, matched by Remote tech workers (like me) moving here. One thing the video exposes is that I'd HATE to work in all those open concept workspaces, which just don't work. See this study from Harvard Business School.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 10:46 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,937,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
There's two different issues at play here... outside workforce coming in and making Charleston less affordable for the existing population has been going on for decades now. That same effect has also brought opportunity to many in the local population though not for all.

For the bigger picture of Charleston's economy in general, the burgeoning tech scene is a big postitive imo. Manufacturing has helped diversify Charleston's economy which was largely tourist based and it can only be a good thing to diversify further into tech. We just saw how big a hit the tourist economy took from the non-hurricane event.

I missed the memo about the upcoming tech bubble burst. When do you think that will happen?
I have no idea, but if history is any guide, runaway valuations on arbitrary products usually end poorly. It definitely has a bubble feel to it.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...is-coming.html

Old 10-07-2018, 05:28 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,594,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashsc View Post
Thanks for posting the video, it appears to be nicely produced and attractive. I'm seeing modest growth in the local tech scene, matched by Remote tech workers (like me) moving here. One thing the video exposes is that I'd HATE to work in all those open concept workspaces, which just don't work. See this study from Harvard Business School.

Ha, I thought the same thing. I've never had an office job but can't imagine the level of distraction working in an environment like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I have no idea, but if history is any guide, runaway valuations on arbitrary products usually end poorly. It definitely has a bubble feel to it.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...is-coming.html

Interesting article. I won't pretend to understand the ins and outs of that economic sphere and I wonder how much of Charleston's tech buildup is tied in to those unicorn companies. What would happen locally if the several of the big techs built on fairy dust suddenly went poof?

Old 10-12-2018, 02:27 PM

16 posts, read 13,281 times
The rub that I see here with the work at home who get paid San Francisco income while living in a condo here is if you loose your job, you're not going to make anywhere near what you made with a local tech startup.

Bubble will pop. As interest rates rise, financing becomes more expensive and the pension funds dropping billions into VC will dry up. That, or the recession actually pushes profitability vs. subsisting on debt. I'd be surprised if we don't see one by 2020.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:18 AM

12,877 posts, read 18,733,766 times
Tech wages are growing in Charleston, rivaling those of other tech hubs, albeit with higher housing costs.

https://www.postandcourier.com/busin...3c8951987.html

Old 11-19-2018, 06:36 PM

A company that just relocated its headquarters here is on Time’s list of the 50 best inventions of 2018. Nanobebe!

https://bit.ly/2DNjunI

Old 11-19-2018, 07:30 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,594,657 times
A baby bottle shaped like a breast. Why did this take so long to happen?

Old 11-20-2018, 04:23 AM

one that preserves nutrients and warms twice as fast

Old 12-09-2019, 09:41 AM

Brookings says Charleston was a gainer from 2005-17, just not one of the five metros that had 90% of the nation’s high-tech growth. Raleigh, Atlanta and Savannah also gained.
https://www.vox.com/recode/2019/12/9...tion-brookings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area