U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 07:36 AM

22,770 posts, read 25,192,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
But places like North Charleston, Mount Pleasant, and West Ashley could easily be. The Charleston metro area is more than just the peninsula. The list really isn't that long, but you're correct about the right-of-ways and asset location information.
The list may not seem long, but in some cases they'll ask for something that seems like it ought to be simple, but requires a political coalition of people to achieve. Or requires municipal staff to completely change how they work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
How important is it for Charleston to have quality high tech education in place? I thought the idea was that were were attracting many techies (both workers and entrepreneurs) to our city from elsewhere. Is it necessary to have "home grown" IT workers?
if you want a startup culture, you need universities. specifically, young people in and around college-age who are originally drawn to the school in question, but also taking risks and starting companies. Once you have that, you attract VC's, which in turn attract more young entrepreneurs. Charleston should be very attractive to VC's just because of its location, but there's not really a globally-relevant startup scene to invest in.

However if you're talking big, white-collar tech employers (which are important, too), then of course you still want good universities, but you can survive bringing people in from other areas.

IMHO, of course

Old 12-04-2015, 09:17 AM

295 posts, read 201,058 times
I honestly don't think Charleston can do anything but advertise availability for themselves. Google has their own ideas in mind.

Old 12-04-2015, 12:53 PM

3,034 posts, read 2,917,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
The list may not seem long, but in some cases they'll ask for something that seems like it ought to be simple, but requires a political coalition of people to achieve. Or requires municipal staff to completely change how they work.
Yes, it does take a political coalition and municipal staff working through it to make it happen. As with anything it takes some work. It's not just a situation where you raise your hand and say "Me next please". But if you're serious about wanting to be a "Silicon Harbor" then the city will need to create those coalitions and strike forth... just as they did for Boeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineskyscrapers View Post
I honestly don't think Charleston can do anything but advertise availability for themselves. Google has their own ideas in mind.
As long as you take that mindset that's exactly what will happen. And those cities that have a different mindset, and are willing to do the effort, will reap the rewards.

Old 12-04-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
As long as you take that mindset that's exactly what will happen. And those cities that have a different mindset, and are willing to do the effort, will reap the rewards.
Smoke and mirrors.

Building infrastructure and showing a need for a competitor to get knocked out of the market (Comcast, TW) is one thing, but playing up the restaurant scene, weather, and beaches is not what Google Fiber is looking for. That's literally what Charleston's application was. I would bet Google has their next 50-60 cities already identified. Big companies like this think at least 5 years ahead. The only thing that will change our rank on that list is action, not waving and spelling GOOGLE in palm trees and benne wafers.

I don't think that completely is counter to what you're saying though.

Old 12-04-2015, 03:13 PM

19,045 posts, read 10,694,254 times
How many of you are in the tech field?

Old 12-04-2015, 04:36 PM

I was until I ditched it for finance.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:28 PM

1,546 posts, read 1,589,379 times
Quote:
We've worked with interns from the local offerings... nice kids, not well trained and typically have no knowledge of the frameworks and managing IT in a business. If you really want to be a tech center, you need higher education in the area that can compete with the GA Tech's.
I'm not so sure that managing IT is something I would expect any recent CS grad applying for entry level positions to possess. I suppose it depends on the program and the concentration, but CS grads should be technical while IS Mgmt grads would have more exposure to those types of skills.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineskyscrapers View Post
i disagree pretty strongly.

they are choosing primarily based on the quality of local government, and the willingness of local elected officials to move things forward. There are no insurmountable barriers to getting google fiber here, just personal ones.

if berkeley, dochester, charleston county, city of charleston, town of james island, city of north charleston, town of mount pleasant all pushed for it, it would happen.

South Carolina is at a disadvantage in this process because our annexation laws encourage small core cities and big suburbs. That's a lot of politicians to get moving in the same direction.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:49 AM

259 posts, read 335,655 times
The I think education is the our biggest deficit. If you look at hubs like Austin or the Triangle they are surrounded and integrated with top ranked national research universities : UT, Duke&UNC.

I loved my time at cofc and their CS program is good but the school certainly does not equal the aforementioned academic heft. The howls of protest over the mention of a cofc/musc merger to create a full research institution here put the kibosh on that. I'm torn about the idea myself but from a neutral standpoint the combined might and increase of advanced degrees would be a huge improvement.

OTOH, every town with more than two traffic lights is going the next "Valley" or "tech hub".

The PR fueled chasing of the "Silicon Harbor" title smacks of me too me tooism and can read as a little pathetic.

One of techs best attributes is the ability to be diffuse and work anywhere you want. So I think the era of building a central tech hub is over.

There is not going to be another Silicon Valley in Charleston or anywhere else. The tech sector here will remain scattered around the metro mixing with other businesses which is a good thing. No need to silo it all and put a " hub" sign on it.

So the most focus needs to be on the basic ingredients : improving secondary and degree granting education and infrastructure.

Last edited by driftaway123; 12-05-2015 at 09:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or