Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 06:33 PM

204 posts, read 184,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
No, my perception of traffic is different from yours. You lived in a very large city and think that Charleston, by comparison, is easy And I fully acknowledge that you see it that way. Fine.
I can relate to both sides of your argument. I grew up here but lived in NYC for 8 years after college. I've seen both situations. If you're from off, you probably don't understand how bad the traffic has gotten in Charleston relative to what it was. As sheer volume goes, it might not be as bad as other places, but its rate of increase, so to speak, is very steep and bound to get worse.

That being said, most of the traffic is unidirectional. When I bought a new house, I only looked at neighborhoods where I'd have a reverse commute. I get to work in about 6 or 7 minutes. I barely have time to listen to the radio. I realize not everyone is in a position to make that kind of housing choice, but I do think if someone makes the choice to live within a few miles of their workplace and have a reverse commute, traffic is not a major issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 07:51 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
Chas4Life, I fully understand there are cities that are much worse. And while it may appear to be NIMBYism to some transplants, it isn't beyond the realm of reality too those who remember a more quaint time. I'll even go further to acknowledge that those days may be gone for good. But I'd like to not make it worse.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:47 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy M View Post
we need some sort of yard with a fence.

anything over $1100.00 a month would be too much.

Does that leave places like Mt Pleasant out?
yes. $1100/month barely affords an apartment in Mount Pleasant.

Personally, if I was in your shoes (retired), I would take a good look at Summerville. The main reason people don't move there, IMO, is because the daily commute into Charleston is crazy. If you're retired that won't be a problem.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:36 PM

657 posts, read 738,389 times
The drive times from Summerville above seem questionable. If you had an early class at trident you'd be sitting in traffic for over 45 minutes. Stick to hanahan or goose creek, or give up on the house idea and rent an apartment.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:29 PM

2,671 posts, read 2,232,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEB1786 View Post
The drive times from Summerville above seem questionable. If you had an early class at trident you'd be sitting in traffic for over 45 minutes. Stick to hanahan or goose creek, or give up on the house idea and rent an apartment.
Your drive time would depend on what time your classes were. Worse in the evenings going home (but stay off the interstate and go through Goose Creek) or in the rush hour morning, but not as bad.

Old 12-25-2015, 05:29 PM

606 posts, read 730,072 times
Look for rentals round the Tanner Plantation neighborhoods of Hanahan. It's 10 minutes from Trident campus and all the shopping along Rivers Ave.

For $1100 you can rent a 2 br apartment or perhaps a duplex in Hanahan. Steer clear of Red Bank road or rentals along Rivers Ave.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:46 PM

363 posts, read 439,311 times
Hi Betsy! We are considering those potential areas too. We are from a relatively poor, depressed region and are still not convinced that we can afford to live anywhere near our daughter and SIL, who moved from downtown to DI, but they are young, have good jobs. What are the chances that N. Charleston will gentrify neighborhoods other than Park Circle? Not sure if that's the correct terminology. I am asking if people buy nice houses in bad neighborhoods, houses with good bones but poorly maintained, and invest in local shops so that then they become good, desirable neighborhoods? It seems like with all the growth in the area and so many jobs in that part of the city, that it would not be the ghetto area depicted onthis forum. What is the story on N. Charleston.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGirl View Post
What is the story on N. Charleston.
I haven't been in N. Charleston long. But my impression thus far is that if North Charleston could improve its schools, it would go a long way towards attracting new residents. People see the red "2's" and "3's" on greatschools and they think, "Next..."

The infrastructure here is crudely done, with little consideration put into aesthetics. However that can be fixed over time, with proper funding and municipal staffing.

But honestly, I'm not encouraged by what I've seen so far. The people here.. are awful. I've lived in numerous places in North and South Carolina, and I've never seen such a lazy and feckless crowd. Customer service in N. Charleston is appallingly bad, and the peoples' standards just seem low.

The only thing positive I can say about North Charleston thus far, is that the East Montague area of Park Circle seems pretty cool and has exceeded my expectations as a nightlife spot.

Last edited by le roi; 12-28-2015 at 07:20 AM..

Old 12-28-2015, 07:38 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
Bye. Don't let the door hit you.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Bye. Don't let the door hit you.

that doesn't even make sense to say, if you don't live in North Charleston.

Besides that, it basically tells me that your standards are just as low as theirs.

Last edited by le roi; 12-28-2015 at 08:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area