Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 11:03 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,553,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Walmart Supercenter #2348 must have upgraded recently from an ordinary Walmart store with the inclusion of a supermarket with bakery, delicatessen, grocery, meat, and produce departments.
Wow, good catch. I didn't think they could do that without expanding the physical store which I thought they were shot down on. Admittedly, I rarely go to that store so they could have started selling Live Koala Bears and I wouldn't know. I wonder how they changed the interior space or added some (using some garden center space maybe?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 11:05 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,553,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGuySC View Post
Yes, they added the grocery area just a few years ago.

Back story: Back in 2008 or so, Walmart wanted to fill in the wetlands behind the current Walmart Discount Cities store built in 1995 and build a giant Supercenter.

Residents and environmentalists killed it.

Walmart wound up exercising a loophole that allowed it to expand in place a certain percentage of their existing square footage, which required no approval. So they added something like 20,000 extra square footage and put in a small grocery area.
I was aware of that change but did that qualify it as a "super center"?

Old 03-13-2016, 11:05 PM

624 posts, read 686,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
Wow, good catch. I didn't think they could do that without expanding the physical store which I thought they were shot down on. Admittedly, I rarely go to that store so they could have started selling Live Koala Bears and I wouldn't know. I wonder how they changed the interior space or added some (using some garden center space maybe?)
That's exactly what they did. What is there now is something like a smaller Supercenter that you might find in a smaller town.

And if they start selling live Koala Bears, I want one.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
They're calling it a "Supercenter."

It's like the old Walmart on 17 in Mt. Pleasant where they added the grocery section across the back of the old Discount Cities store.

They're in the permit process to tear down the old "Play It Again Sam" store next to it and build a proper Supercenter.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:10 PM

21,003 posts, read 26,983,613 times
Quote:
I didn't but didn't think of it as a full size grocery store. Definitely a player in the field though.

I'm no expert in the grocery biz... is it feasible to have all these grocery stores on James Isl or are we going to be waving bye-bye to Food Lion and/or Bi-Lo before long?
Food Lion's future is dependent on Ahold's acquisition of Delhaize, which should be completed by summer. Ahold could take the opportunity to bring Food Lion up to better standards of Giant-Landover, Giant-Carlisle, Hannaford, Martin's, and Stop & Shop. The opportunity may include adding pharmacies, lowering prices, improving quality products and fresh foods, and improving customer service and associates.

Food Lion will struggle in North Carolina as Publix further expands.

Bi-Lo appears to have ran its course in Beaufort, Horry, Lancaster and York counties, Chatham County, Georgia, and the entirety of North Carolina. Southeastern Grocers, parent of Bi-Lo, has already announced the closing of two Bi-Lo stores this year.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:16 PM

Default Walmart Supercenter #2348, 1231 Folly Road, Charleston, South Carolina 29412-4105

Quote:
Yes, they added the grocery area just a few years ago.

Back story: Back in 2008 or so, Walmart wanted to fill in the wetlands behind the current Walmart Discount Cities store built in 1995 and build a giant Supercenter.

Residents and environmentalists killed it.

Walmart wound up exercising a loophole that allowed it to expand in place a certain percentage of their existing square footage, which required no approval. So they added something like 20,000 extra square footage and put in a small grocery area.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
They're calling it a "Supercenter."
They're in the permit process to tear down the old "Play It Again Sam" store next to it and build a proper Supercenter.
Walmart Supercenter #2348 is still a Walmart, not a Supercenter, I take. Supercenter stores have a full supermarket, not just a grocery section.

If a proper Supercenter store is being built, I would expect it to include an auto service center and a fuel center.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Walmart Supercenter #2348 is still a Walmart, not a Supercenter, I take. Supercenter stores have a full supermarket, not just a grocery section.

If a proper Supercenter store is being built, I would expect it to include an auto service center and a fuel center.

It's a full grocery section in the sense that they have a full produce, full meat, full dairy, bakery, deli, etc. It's just shoehorned in the back and not ideal.

The then-new CEO of Walmart toured the store when he was in Charleston and wasn't a fan of how they did it and that got the ball rolling.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:20 PM

Default Walmart Supercenter #2348, 1231 Folly Road, Charleston, South Carolina 29412-4105

Quote:
It's a full grocery section in the sense that they have a full produce, full meat, full dairy, bakery, deli, etc. It's just shoehorned in the back and not ideal.

The then-new CEO of Walmart toured the store when he was in Charleston and wasn't a fan of how they did it and that got the ball rolling.
Is there a projection when the new Walmart Supercenter #2348 will open?

Old 03-13-2016, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Is there a projection when the new Walmart Supercenter #2348 will open?
Here's the latest:

Wal-Mart wants to expand Wando Crossing store in Mount Pleasant - Post and Courier

As of right now, the last time I was down there, there wasn't anything going on.

I'll be interested to see if a gas station is put in. The Rivers Avenue Discount Cities/Supercenter flip never got one.

Edit: I just realized you may be talking about the Folly Road location. It opened in 2012.

http://corporate.walmart.com/_news_/...e-of-groceries

Old 03-13-2016, 11:38 PM

Quote:
I just realized you may be talking about the Folly Road location. It opened in 2012.

James Island Walmart Expands to Offer Savings on Full Line of Groceries
Walmart Supercenter #2348 does not have a fuel center and an auto service center. Many Supercenter stores have opened in recent years without auto service centers, possibly because of service and liability issues at existing locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area