Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 03:09 PM

288 posts, read 494,324 times

Advertisements

You can get Zeppole at the most authentic italian restaurant in Charleston, which of course, everyone knows as the "Olive Garden".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 04:15 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,856 times
Matts pizza in summerville and mt.plesent have them

Old 03-26-2016, 04:17 PM

355 posts, read 390,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy29483 View Post
Those in the area who lived in parts of the Northeast with large Italian populations know what these are and that they are a St. Joseph Day tradition.

The other evening as hubby and I walked the dog while enjoying the recent delightful weather, we saw a little Italian flag on a neighbor's lawn and realized that St. Joseph's Day (March 19) was almost here. We both said 'Zeppole' at the same time and thought how cool would it be if we could jump on a plane and fly up to Rhode Island, (or Boston, NYC, New Jersey) go to any Italian bakey for one of these custard filled treats.

Then I looked at the forecast for New England this weekend - YIKES! Cold for sure, and maybe even the dredded 'S' word snow...and lots of it. Besides, that would be a very expensive pastry!

Okay, Plan B. Has ANYONE seen or heard of an y bakeries around here....heck, we'd take a ride up to Myrtle Beach, that has them?
Vinnys has them with the white powder and all.

Old 03-26-2016, 04:40 PM

246 posts, read 518,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Those things in the OP aren't even zeppoles.
Apparently an apology is in order.

I am now confused because that is what the Italian bakeries, the Italian ladies I worked with and the Providence Journal called what I ate on St Joseph day most of my life. This photo is from the food writer on the Providence Journal so I'm clueless as to exactly what they are. The Olive Garden's version is more like a beignet to me.

Old 03-27-2016, 02:57 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,118,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy29483 View Post
Apparently an apology is in order.

I am now confused because that is what the Italian bakeries, the Italian ladies I worked with and the Providence Journal called what I ate on St Joseph day most of my life. This photo is from the food writer on the Providence Journal so I'm clueless as to exactly what they are. The Olive Garden's version is more like a beignet to me.
Oh poop! What is a zeppole to me and other people doesn't mean that different ones aren't zeppoles
to someone else!
Apparently I just didn't know that there are other kinds of zeppoles...

It's all good! Yayyyyy!

I didn't know Olive Garden has them!

Thank you, Kathy

Old 03-27-2016, 07:16 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,683,726 times
If Olive Garden is Italian food, then Taco Bell is Mexican.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:54 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,982 times
St. Joseph the Worker, the saint of carpenters, father of Christ, is celebrated on March 19, his feast day.
My husband & his son, father, grandfather,& great-grandfather, all share the name Joseph (some as middle names), & as a family, we celebrate March 19. There is a "Catholic Worker" philosophy with St. Joseph as it's base that was formed in opposition to the Communist Worker Party during the Depression. There are many Catholic Worker homeless shelters, and I serve on the board of one in Cincinnati. Catholic Worker Movement

OP Kathy: I too was confused by your picture of a zeppole. But, I used America's learning tool (Google) to find how you came to your definition of zeppole. Very different from our NYC definition of this delish donut.

But again, I haven't found any of these in Charleston .

Old 03-27-2016, 08:59 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Matts pizza in summerville and mt.plesent have them
Thanks ... we'll check in & report back.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:46 PM

77 posts, read 91,459 times
All Specials | Baroni's Pizza Charleston SC

Old 04-10-2016, 07:40 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,936 times
This is too late for St Joseph's day but Cafe Italia in Summerville is true Italian and might have Zeppole or know where to get them. Nadia and Fabrizio are as Italian as it gets:

https://www.facebook.com/caffeitaliasummerville/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area