Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 07:50 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
Do you really think that only wealthy people live "in the hood where bullets [don't] fly?" Who would choose to live like that if he has the barest means to avoid it?
So true! As is the statement that the appearance of wealth can just be a cloak over debt.

What ya looking for in posting the question, coastalbum?

Old 03-26-2016, 07:23 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,505,823 times
Bullets can fly in any 'hood. I live in Crowfield, and we have had issues with shootings, drug houses etc here and the rest of Goose Creek

Old 03-26-2016, 07:40 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,786,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrd463 View Post
I think "wealthy" is relative. I'm certainly not wealthy, but I am doing well enough to be choosy about where I live when I move down. Based on what I've read here, I'm thinking the majority of people are what has traditionally been considered middle class, that is have steady enough income to be comfortable.
You're probably right. The truly wealthy that I've known have been the ones you last expect. Here in Charleston I've known a couple of people who own over 50 houses each. One drives a worn out early '90s Previa. The other worked as a QA inspector at Boeing because he likes airplanes. Neither of them come off as multi millionaires.

The ones I know with a new leased Mercedes or Lexus yearly, that's debt.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:28 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,505,823 times
Wealth is a personal thing too.. Money is one thing, toys is another. If I have like 4000 a month to spend, after all bills and living expenses are taken care, that would be wealthy to me.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:39 AM

252 posts, read 264,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
You're probably right. The truly wealthy that I've known have been the ones you last expect. Here in Charleston I've known a couple of people who own over 50 houses each. One drives a worn out early '90s Previa. The other worked as a QA inspector at Boeing because he likes airplanes. Neither of them come off as multi millionaires.

The ones I know with a new leased Mercedes or Lexus yearly, that's debt.
I work with a guy here in Washington who's retired Army, and his wife is co-owner of a distribution company. Together, they're worth about 3-4 million, but he drives a beat up Honda Accord to work every day. I guess it's the difference between having money and keeping money. Those who simply have it want the world to know about it. Those who want to keep it play it smart. Drive a beater every day for commuting (probably has a Benz in the garage, but you know what? Good on him), and be humble. His excuse for working is that if he didn't, his wife would make him do stuff around the house.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:49 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,005,475 times
Classic "Millionare Next Door" behavior. The truly wealthy rarely flaunt it. And yes, that's partly why they are wealthy.

No bullets flying around here on Daniel Island, so I would say it doesn't happen "everywhere".

Old 03-27-2016, 06:04 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,143 times
Daniel Island (gasp) ....violence is violence no matter the tool used. It doesn't discriminate based on ANY factors.
And fyi, DI has a good deal of "affordable" housing.

Police investigating knife attack, death on Daniel Island - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Old 03-27-2016, 06:46 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,005,475 times
Yes, Daniel Island has affordable housing, but just because the people who live there don't have as much money as other people, doesn't make them any more prone to violence as far as I can tell.

Anyway, the question Coastalbum asked was "Do you live where bullets fly?" No. Daniel Island doesn't have gun violence.

The knife attack was a domestic dispute in a condo on River Landing Dr. so I don't get the affordable housing tie-in.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:01 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Yes, Daniel Island has affordable housing, but just because the people who live there don't have as much money as other people, doesn't make them any more prone to violence as far as I can tell.

Anyway, the question Coastalbum asked was "Do you live where bullets fly?" No. Daniel Island doesn't have gun violence.

The knife attack was a domestic dispute in a condo on River Landing Dr. so I don't get the affordable housing tie-in.

It is your attitude towards the entire topic. Your comments don't gel. A post in the tent city thread about those with less (all around) and lack of education. But those who have "less" but live on DI are not prone to the same issues. It doesn't gel. It is simple, you are being judgemental, and wrap it up with being naive as a bow.

Domestic or not, does not matter...violence is violence and the point is NOWHERE is safe from it. It is sad but true fact of today's world.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:52 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,937,884 times
While I don't understand the need for people to get into debt just for the image of having money they don't really have, I don't really understand why millionaires drive busted old cars and live far below their means either. You can't take it with you. Either donate it, give it to your kids or live a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area