Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 09:31 AM

624 posts, read 692,229 times

Advertisements

I think if I were the city, I would ask the developer for more information about their other proposals.

If the gas station is the only viable option, perhaps make them enter into an agreement that if the Sunoco ever closes, they have to tear it down and make the area into a park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 10:15 AM

3,838 posts, read 3,064,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGuySC View Post
I think if I were the city, I would ask the developer for more information about their other proposals.

If the gas station is the only viable option, perhaps make them enter into an agreement that if the Sunoco ever closes, they have to tear it down and make the area into a park.

Seriously? Just force the property owners to tear the gas station down if it doesn't make it and force a sale to the city or whomever for a park? Scary comment. Why not just do that now then?

Old 03-27-2016, 10:22 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,229,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
Seriously? Just force the property owners to tear the gas station down if it doesn't make it and force a sale to the city or whomever for a park? Scary comment. Why not just do that now then?
Who wants to increase blight from short lived businesses in vacated locations?

If a site is going to be redeveloped, it needs to be done right the first time to have practical uses that will survive long-term.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:24 AM

A municipality has one chance to get concessions from a developer and that's when they come before it for approval. Faison is a multi-billion dollar developer that owns the rest of Ashley Landing.

Gas stations/convenience stores are being built across the Lowcountry rapidly. Spinx, Sunoco, Walmart gas stations, etc. One day, some of them will close. Why trade the eye sore of a closed Piggly Wiggly for a closed Sunoco?

I wouldn't approve the proposal without some assurances that won't happen. Similar horse-trading between local government officials and developers goes on every day.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:44 AM

3,838 posts, read 3,064,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGuySC View Post
A municipality has one chance to get concessions from a developer and that's when they come before it for approval. Faison is a multi-billion dollar developer that owns the rest of Ashley Landing.

Gas stations/convenience stores are being built across the Lowcountry rapidly. Spinx, Sunoco, Walmart gas stations, etc. One day, some of them will close. Why trade the eye sore of a closed Piggly Wiggly for a closed Sunoco?

I wouldn't approve the proposal without some assurances that won't happen. Similar horse-trading between local government officials and developers goes on every day.

Oh, so you know the Sunoco is going to close before it even opens (if indeed it does open)? But you're going to force the developer that success is assured?

Your comments don't make sense to me.

I personally would prefer something other than a convenience store, but that's what being proposed and the existing zoning is approved for that type of business.

Old 03-27-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Oh, so you know the Sunoco is going to close before it even opens (if indeed it does open)? But you're going to force the developer that success is assured?
Governments represent the people. There are abandoned stores and abandoned gas stations all over greater Charleston. The Sunoco could close some day. It might not. I would force the developer to re-develop the property and remove any closed gas station, yes. I would not take the property from them. I would want assurances that we aren't trading one eyesore for another.

Quote:
I personally would prefer something other than a convenience store, but that's what being proposed and the existing zoning is approved for that type of business.
On this, we agree. I would prefer anything else. West Ashley has enough gas stations. But I wouldn't outright reject the proposal if that's the best we can do. I would just want assurances it won't be an abandoned gas station in 10 or 20 years.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:03 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,683,726 times
There are so many gas stations going up around Summerville. It's crazy.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:22 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,982 times
And I'm so disappointed it wasn't the choice for Whole Foods ...though I do understand. I wish that it could be the right location for a WF .. but realistically, it's not. Yet is it only suitable for a gas station? Please, no. Trader Joe's? Too big of a footprint for their model, but it would draw people in.
I like the area, almost bought in Northbridge Terrance. And still look in there & at Park Shore occasionally. Again, I hope for more than a gas station.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:55 AM

216 posts, read 299,521 times
I think this location would be great for something of greater style/importance than a gas station. After all, this location is pretty much the first main location you see when entering West Ashley from Sam Rittenburg (Route 7) and also the last you see when leaving...

Old 03-28-2016, 09:14 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,788,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
It's not that much smaller than the Harrell Square center which has multiple businesses, plenty of parking and looks decent. I can't figure how something like that would not be better than a gas station/mini-mart. the right shops would compliment the Publix and be a start on sprucing up that whole messy shopping center.
The site was big enough for a Piggly Wiggly and didn't cause traffic issues though I agree that the Merge Of Doom is something that could use improving.

Edit: Another point... there's already a gas station/mini-mart right next door. How could we possibly need another right there?
The big difference to me is the shape of the lot. Triangular ones are tough to deal with IMO, and the rear of this one is very pointed. It's a tough call. A decent compromise would be the (closed) BP/Kangaroo across the street or whatever the empty fast food place is. Looks like it might have been a Captain D's?

I don't bother with the gas station nearby, the pumps go up however much/gallon unless you use cash. Every 3 weeks or so I'm at Sam's Club anyway so I just fill up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area