Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 01:33 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoe81806 View Post
We're going to go out to Mt. Pleasant for a day or two to look at neighborhoods. Is there anything we should definitely do while we're there? I was thinking we should also take a look at Daniel Island but I think MP is where we're concentrating on for a move. Some background... we have two small boys, live in Brooklyn and our budget is around $700K. We love the area and want to have a better quality of life where we can be outdoors all year round.

Thanks!
Take a look at daniel island. Its just minutes from mt.pleasant and i think it is much nicer than mt.pleasant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 02:38 PM

657 posts, read 738,389 times
Daniel island is nice, but your money will go much further in Mount Pleasant, I would definitely check both out. Schools may play a factor.

And make sure to do an Oyster shooter at Pearlz if you're out and about downtown on the weekend.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:48 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,248 times
If you seriously want to focus on checking out neighborhoods, then you should definitely check out Daniel Island but also almost all of Mt Pleasant. The above-mentioned neighborhoods are good suggestions but where fits you best depends on a host of other factors.

It's a great time of year to get out in a boat for a harbor tour or a trip to Ft Sumter perhaps.

Old 05-04-2016, 04:29 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,006,088 times
If you check out Carolina Park in MP (which you should - all new builds and beautiful community) - definitely check out the "Riverside" section, which is across Darrell Creek Parkway from the "Village" section. CP is just beyond Park West (on the same side) heading North on Hwy 17.

It's much different in that the lots are much larger and they all back up to woods rather than other houses. Very different feel, and is in your price point.

Also, stop in at the Sales Office on Banning St. (across from the pool) and they will give you a map of the community and tell you about the master plan. (Check out the pool and tennis courts and pavilion while you are there).

The vision is a live/work/plan community - right now on "campus" of CP is Wando High, Mount Pleasant hospital, a new fire station and police sub-station (to be completed in June 2016), a new elementary school due for completion Fall 2017, and a new library - not sure of the ETA. There are also 2 churches in the development - Catholic and Presbyterian.

Plans also include commercial in a "Town Center" area with shops, restaurants and businesses to be built down the road. And a dog park.

CP is also right next to (next road over) the MP Recreational Complex that has an indoor pool, basketball, sports fields, track, etc. and all the shops at Park West, which include a vet, bank, Publix grocery store, and a few restaurants as well as multiple other offices/businesses.

Last edited by macalan; 05-04-2016 at 04:46 AM..

Old 05-04-2016, 04:45 AM

Someone mentioned checking out I'on as part of things to do/see, but I would also check it out for homes. It is in your budget - barely.

Similar concept to Daniel Island - a newly built "community" with shops, restaurants. And a great location. Lot sizes much smaller than Daniel Island. And home prices higher due to the location.

In addition to I'On, I would also add Hobcaw Creek Plantation (be careful, there is a Hobcaw that is not of the same caliber - different subdivision - 1533 Strathmore Lane in your GPS will get you there), and Grassy Creek - good location - a little hard to find - smallish subdivision. Not sure there are any amenities there - 385 Shoals Dr in the GPS will get you there.

Please do a trip report when you get back and let us know how you made out!

Old 05-04-2016, 06:12 AM

5,715 posts, read 4,682,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Someone mentioned checking out I'on as part of things to do/see, but I would also check it out for homes. It is in your budget - barely.
In my opinion, I'on is much more like Charleston than anything on the north end of MtP. Don't get me wrong, those places on the north end are full of beautiful homes, it's just that they could be a nice subdivision in Anytown USA.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:23 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,248 times
Ion is nice but as macalan said, it's "barely" within your budget. In the last 6 months there are only 5 that sold on the MLS under $700k and they're all 1600 sqft or less. That works for some people but with two boys, I'm guessing not for you. It's always worth looking though as you never know what you might find!

Old 05-04-2016, 06:41 AM

184 posts, read 216,056 times
By the way, your story sounds very familiar.

Almost ten years ago I brought my wife and three young kids down from the NYC area. We started out on DI, then moved to Mount Pleasant when we wanted a new school option.

Daniel Island is very attractive for people new to town and it is a very safe option when you are not familiar with the area. For any outdoorsy parent with young children, this image from outside the elementary school is the one that ultimately resonates:

Last edited by shemcreek; 05-04-2016 at 06:42 AM.. Reason: new pic

Old 05-04-2016, 07:23 AM

I think the biggest draws of Daniel Island are that it's a full-blown community not just a subdivision, the walkability, the location, and the fact that the entire island is nice.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:49 AM

606 posts, read 730,072 times
Welcome! Hopefully you won't be put off by the accents of all the other NY'ers who beat you to Mount Pleasant. It's quite the melting pot of northern accents, driving habits and less than southern courtesy.

The homes are nice and plentiful in your price range. Along with the lower taxes here is lower quality of roads and thankfully less regulation. Be ready to pay taxes on your cars, even if you just bought it last year, SC will tax it again just as a way of welcoming you to our friendly state.

It's a great time of year to visit, June offers a taste of humidity and heat that persists about six months a year. Traffic will seem minor compared to NYC but we don't reccomend you honk or flip the finger here since SC allows most anyone
to carry a concealed weapon.

All sarcasm aside, it's a great place to live!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area