Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2016, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,688 times

Advertisements

I recently accepted a job offer in downtown Charleston and am planning on living with someone who is attending graduate school in town. The other day I toured some apartments downtown and found an apartment near the intersection of Bogard and Rutledge on a small, pedestrian street with several new homes under construction. There was no parking available on the street the property was located on. Also, walking around some of the neighboring streets it seemed like there were some transitional areas just a stones throw away. I had several questions about the area:

What is on-street parking like in this area if you are someone who works from 8:30 to 5:00?

What is safety like in this area? Is this somewhere you would feel comfortable walking around alone at night? Would it be a safe walk from this area to King Street, say after dinner or a little later in the evening?

What is the best place for young professional to live who is working downtown?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 08:07 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
It is a safe area. There are isolated pockets of interesting neighborhoods all over Charleston. But I see coeds walking that area all the time. Uber is plentiful downtown. If it's after dark and you feel some anxiety, take an Uber.

Parking is an adventure. First come, first served. Only use your vehicle to leave the peninsula.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:49 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,248 times
My daughter and her boyfriend both lived in that general area recently and I know he had no qualms about walking around at night but she was wary. He's very street savvy and probably feels confident about steering clear of a bad situation. She's no wimp but just generally more cautious. They're now living together on America St across from the projects and have no problem with it.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:34 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
My daughter and her boyfriend both lived in that general area recently and I know he had no qualms about walking around at night but she was wary. He's very street savvy and probably feels confident about steering clear of a bad situation. She's no wimp but just generally more cautious. They're now living together on America St across from the projects and have no problem with it.
Funny how America Street works. My first trip through there led me to the misconception that it was a bad area.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Funny how America Street works. My first trip through there led me to the misconception that it was a bad area.
It used to be very bad. Still not trouble free, but not the dangerous place it once was.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:52 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,006,088 times
Isn't America Street where that little kid was caught in a gang shoot out & paralyzed stepping out of his grandmother's house?

Old 05-08-2016, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Isn't America Street where that little kid was caught in a gang shoot out & paralyzed stepping out of his grandmother's house?
Yep, that would be the same America St. Such violence is not common there these days but as always, the closer you get to the sketchy areas, the more likely the violence is to spill over.

Old 05-08-2016, 06:45 AM

624 posts, read 692,124 times
The peninsula is not bad. But you can't be lulled into a false sense of security. The bad neighborhoods are crawling with drug dealers and gang bangers, especially at night. Common sense should be your guide.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:49 PM

58 posts, read 55,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGuySC View Post
The peninsula is not bad. But you can't be lulled into a false sense of security. The bad neighborhoods are crawling with drug dealers and gang bangers, especially at night. Common sense should be your guide.
This. There was just an article about the uptick in armed robberies on the peninsula over the past year, including one on the Battery. Nowhere is going to be 100% safe in the city although the area you speak of is well on it's way to becoming a very safe and welcoming place compared to what it was even a few years ago. Bogard itself seems to be farther along than Line Street, although a few of the cross streets that connect them still have some shady spots. Someone was shot dead in broad daylight about a year ago on Bogard, but that anecdote doesn't give a full picture of the area.

If you have doubts, I'd suggest approaching neighbors out and about when you are visiting the area and ask for their opinions. As someone who lived a few blocks away and frequented this area very often, I would be very comfortable, but again, you need at least a modicum of street smarts and there always exists the possibility that you could run into random trouble if you make a habit of walking alone at night (I'd recommend a bike for moving around on the peninsula, most young people seem to choose this option)

Old 05-08-2016, 01:37 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,668,261 times
I think what people on this forum don't realize is the amount of crime that doesn't get reported on the Peninsula. There is a "code of silence" on the East Side/ North Central. No-one talks, no-one says anything to police due to the fear of repercussions.

From my personal experience, if you use street smarts and don't stay out too late. Things will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area