Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 08:07 PM

37 posts, read 40,058 times

Advertisements

I also have jetskis and love them. I love to jump waves in the ocean and they're great for pulling my wife on waterskis and just cruising around. It's really not very inconvenient to trailer the jetski since it's so light. We just got a boat and that I wish we had a slip or something for that, but the jetski isn't bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 08:50 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,211,432 times
Why don't you just use the kill switch under the key?

Old 07-20-2018, 06:01 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,352,148 times
I hardly ever see jet skis while boating the intercoastal, near shore, and up the Wando. I will see them from time to time while paddleboarding the creeks. That's not to say they aren't out there, just that they are in the 1% range. But because their population is so much smaller than the boating population doesn't mean they aren't fun or usable. However, I would agree there are places I wouldn't run them from a safety point of view. There's a lot of chop and traffic in the harbor.

I will, however, stand by my assertion that those I encounter while paddleboarding almost always are inconsiderate of those under personal power.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:16 AM

42 posts, read 151,870 times
Smile Charleston SC Yamaha FX Waverunner Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by evertec View Post
I also have jetskis and love them. I love to jump waves in the ocean and they're great for pulling my wife on waterskis and just cruising around. It's really not very inconvenient to trailer the jetski since it's so light. We just got a boat and that I wish we had a slip or something for that, but the jetski isn't bad.
I only have one Jetski. Bought it new in 2002 from Powersports on Dorchester Rd. It is really time for another. I am going to stick with the Yamaha FX model. May go with a supercharger, not sure yet. Don't need the speed, just interested in features that come with it. Heard about the supercharger maintenance. Need to give that some hard consideration. Very happy with my 2002 FX. LOADS of great rides for my son and I. No regrets at all. I am learning I prefer to ride my ski than my boat because it is more fun. I do agree the chop in the Harbor is worth staying away from, BUT I LOVE wave riding in the Morris Island Inlet

Are you in Charleston? I ride the Folly River to Morris Island, the Cooper and Edisto River, the Intracoastal Waterway, Mt P, Shem Creek, Wando, etc etc. I have no hesitation to ride the ocean shoreline. The GREAT thing about the ski is that it does not take on water like the boat.

Trailering my ski is a piece of cake compared to trailering my boat. I cannot see myself living without a ski or in a great place to ride.

I am always saddened when I hear of inconsiderate jet skiers or boaters. We have had intoxicated boaters unintentionally kill local scuba divers in and around Charleston. We do have our crazies

Last edited by mLeeTaylor; 07-20-2018 at 09:25 AM..

Old 07-20-2018, 09:31 AM

Default Jam packed waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
The waterways can get really crowded with some big fast boats
This is true. Although I have been on the water all day (on a weekday) and not seen another person

Old 07-20-2018, 09:34 AM

[quote=lenniel;44076185 Plus, with jet drives, there's lot of mud/shells, etc that you can suck into the system and damage it.[/QUOTE]

This is true. I have done this.

I have also bent the prop on my boat

Onwards

Old 07-20-2018, 11:18 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,097,725 times
Seems pretty expensive to pay for a slip just for a jetski, and they are pretty easy to trailer

Old 07-20-2018, 12:12 PM

Slips fee's are ridiculously high for someone on my level. I can buy a boat for what I would pay for a slip fee

Old 07-25-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Seems pretty expensive to pay for a slip just for a jetski, and they are pretty easy to trailer
Seeing how a slip will cost around 1k per year or 5k per 5yrs, a used trailer at 500 will put $4500 in your pocket.... just sayin

Old 07-31-2018, 01:49 PM

37 posts, read 40,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mLeeTaylor View Post
I only have one Jetski. Bought it new in 2002 from Powersports on Dorchester Rd. It is really time for another. I am going to stick with the Yamaha FX model. May go with a supercharger, not sure yet. Don't need the speed, just interested in features that come with it. Heard about the supercharger maintenance. Need to give that some hard consideration. Very happy with my 2002 FX. LOADS of great rides for my son and I. No regrets at all. I am learning I prefer to ride my ski than my boat because it is more fun. I do agree the chop in the Harbor is worth staying away from, BUT I LOVE wave riding in the Morris Island Inlet

Are you in Charleston? I ride the Folly River to Morris Island, the Cooper and Edisto River, the Intracoastal Waterway, Mt P, Shem Creek, Wando, etc etc. I have no hesitation to ride the ocean shoreline. The GREAT thing about the ski is that it does not take on water like the boat.

Trailering my ski is a piece of cake compared to trailering my boat. I cannot see myself living without a ski or in a great place to ride.

I am always saddened when I hear of inconsiderate jet skiers or boaters. We have had intoxicated boaters unintentionally kill local scuba divers in and around Charleston. We do have our crazies

I'm in Mt Pleasant, these days I primarily go around the Intracoastal and go out Breech Inlet for wave jumping. I used to live in a neighborhood on the Ashley River so I'd go more on the Folly/Morris Island areas. Right now I have a Seadoo Spark, which is great for wave jumping, but I'm looking at getting a second bigger ski again. The Yamaha VXR and GP1800 look like great skis. I used to have the GP1200 and loved that and they look like spiritual successors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area