Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 08:34 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times

Advertisements

It may be hard to believe that HT would put 2 stores only a mile apart, but that's exactly what they did on JI. Measure the distance and its 1.08 miles. Then there's another HT a 1 1/2 miles away from the on Folly in WA.

And theres a set of HT's in Mt P less than a mile and half apart. I don't think they'll raise Bilo and build condos. One thing about the Bilo is that its actually pretty cool architecturally, and I feel like HT really wants to monopoly as much as they can. Publix won't be around for another few years.

If not HT, maybe somebody likes Lowes Foods or Sprouts. I think it stays a grocer, but it's game to become anything other than Publix in my opinion. The location isn't bad, Bilo's just going the way of the dodo, and the Pig.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 08:41 PM

If it doesnt stay a grocer though, I really hope they keep the building.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:21 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
In comes Harris Teeter!
I do not know what Harris Teeter intends to do with store 277, East Bay Trading Station, 290 East Bay Street, Charleston, South Carolina 29401-1623. The logical options would be to expand and add a pharmacy, or replace the store in a relocation.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Nope just making a joke since HT has been spreading like the plague. I wouldnt be suprised if they landed there though, gives the upcoming Publix even more competition.
Harris Teeter and Publix are actively planning, constructing, and opening new, additional stores.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:27 AM

Quote:
It may be hard to believe that HT would put 2 stores only a mile apart, but that's exactly what they did on JI. Measure the distance and its 1.08 miles. Then there's another HT a 1 1/2 miles away from the on Folly in WA.

And theres a set of HT's in Mt P less than a mile and half apart. I don't think they'll raise Bilo and build condos. One thing about the Bilo is that its actually pretty cool architecturally, and I feel like HT really wants to monopoly as much as they can. Publix won't be around for another few years.

If not HT, maybe somebody likes Lowes Foods or Sprouts. I think it stays a grocer, but it's game to become anything other than Publix in my opinion. The location isn't bad, Bilo's just going the way of the dodo, and the Pig.
Publix will not be around in a few years? I find that difficult to believe at it has 1,124 stores with more stores opening. I think you are referring to the Publix at WestEdge that will not open yet for several years.

I will agree Bi-Lo is disappearing. I fear and will not be surprised to see Southeastern Grocers close more Bi-Lo, Fresco y Más, Harvey's Supermarkets, and Winn-Dixie stores.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:08 AM

17 posts, read 22,336 times
Bi-lo is one of the worse grocery stores I have ever shopped at. They simply cant compete with HT on inventory or service.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:11 AM

Bi-Lo has struggled in various aspects in recent years. Regressions in service and inventory would not be uncommon.

I have not been in a Harris Teeter in years, and I would prefer it over Bi-Lo any day.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:00 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I do not know what Harris Teeter intends to do with store 277, East Bay Trading Station, 290 East Bay Street, Charleston, South Carolina 29401-1623. The logical options would be to expand and add a pharmacy, or replace the store in a relocation.
They would keep it open. There are HT stores close together in many locations around Charleston and MtP.

I'm guessing they know what they are doing.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:59 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,248 times
So there's a lot of speculation here that seems to favor the idea of HT acquiring the location but what are the other likely possibilities? Remember that Whole Foods was rumored to be looking at King St not long ago... is there any possibility that they might be interested in the Bi-Lo location? Is there any reason to think they wouldn't build another multi-story building that has a grocer on the ground floor with residential above? If they can manage the parking, that would seem a logical choice. Lucky's Market? Fresh Foods? Costco? (jk)

Old 08-31-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
So there's a lot of speculation here that seems to favor the idea of HT acquiring the location but what are the other likely possibilities? Remember that Whole Foods was rumored to be looking at King St not long ago... is there any possibility that they might be interested in the Bi-Lo location? Is there any reason to think they wouldn't build another multi-story building that has a grocer on the ground floor with residential above? If they can manage the parking, that would seem a logical choice. Lucky's Market? Fresh Foods? Costco? (jk)
Whole Foods is more niche than HT. I can't see them having 3 locations in Charleston County this soon. If they build another one anytime soon, especially when sales have been down. My guess is it'll go to Summerville.

Costco is too big, and I can see a firestorm from downtown residents.

Maybe Lucky's, Sprouts, Lowes Foods, but my money is on Teeter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area