Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 06:29 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times

Advertisements

It makes sense - I've had to deal with flood insurance on a couple of peninsula houses too so that and elevation certificates I'm good with. The current zone is AE with BFE listed as 13' for what it's worth. Across the street on that map is the 'high ground.'

FWIW there's no way I'd drop flood insurance. I'm not sure what I'm paying but if insurance drops it'll probably still go back up anyway because of improvements we've made at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 08:14 PM

455 posts, read 669,367 times
I have tried downloading this information on both my IPad and IPhone. Won't download. Tried on the PC and the whole site shut down. Can this be downloaded on an IPhone or Pad?

Old 09-14-2016, 08:22 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
It makes sense - I've had to deal with flood insurance on a couple of peninsula houses too so that and elevation certificates I'm good with. The current zone is AE with BFE listed as 13' for what it's worth. Across the street on that map is the 'high ground.'

FWIW there's no way I'd drop flood insurance. I'm not sure what I'm paying but if insurance drops it'll probably still go back up anyway because of improvements we've made at home.
I think it will drop considerably if your house is taken out of a flood zone. I'm not sure about the 2018 effective date but that's what it seemed like from what I've read so far.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeFAN View Post
I have tried downloading this information on both my IPad and IPhone. Won't download. Tried on the PC and the whole site shut down. Can this be downloaded on an IPhone or Pad?
You should be able to download a map to any device that can handle a pdf file.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:36 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,944,675 times
I will say this without fear of contradiction -- that is the single worst website I have ever had the misfortune to use, and I've been working with computers since the 1980's. What ham-fisted programmer developed that Search tool ?? And who dreamed up that "jumpy" Zoom In, Zoom Out, Zoom Window screen shot ??

We used to have a name back at Bell Labs for Programming efforts like this. It's call GIGO..Garbage In, Garbage Out.

Wescott Plantation is on the border of 2 FEMA Maps. The Map containing my current Address was established in 1994, when Wescott was still a large wooded parcel. Wescott Blvd does not even appear on that map. When the development started, there was much thought put into proper drainage and a lot of earth was moved around to create the Golf Course. My house, when positioned on this 22 year old map, sits in an area labeled "Limit of Detailed Study" and is located on the cusp of the AE and X Zones (before the extensive Grading and Site Work even started).

It looks like I am going to have to go thru the whole Letter of Map Change ordeal to get someone at FEMA to update this subdivision.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
I will say this without fear of contradiction -- that is the single worst website I have ever had the misfortune to use, and I've been working with computers since the 1980's. What ham-fisted programmer developed that Search tool ?? And who dreamed up that "jumpy" Zoom In, Zoom Out, Zoom Window screen shot ??

We used to have a name back at Bell Labs for Programming efforts like this. It's call GIGO..Garbage In, Garbage Out.

Wescott Plantation is on the border of 2 FEMA Maps. The Map containing my current Address was established in 1994, when Wescott was still a large wooded parcel. Wescott Blvd does not even appear on that map. When the development started, there was much thought put into proper drainage and a lot of earth was moved around to create the Golf Course. My house, when positioned on this 22 year old map, sits in an area labeled "Limit of Detailed Study" and is located on the cusp of the AE and X Zones (before the extensive Grading and Site Work even started).

It looks like I am going to have to go thru the whole Letter of Map Change ordeal to get someone at FEMA to update this subdivision.
Agreed. Worst website ever. I was hoping they would just sub the mapping job out to Google but of course that would have probably been a sensible use of our taxpayer dollars...

Lisa at Choice flood insurance is the most knowledgeable person I know regarding flood insurance. It's all she does:
Home | Making flood the right choice

I'm sure she could fill you in on your address but you will need an elevation certificate. Also, from your description it sounds like you were looking at the current maps. The preliminary maps are in pdf and can be had with Chs2014's instructions in the original post. Lisa told me that the earliest they might be able to use the new maps to write new flood policies would be June 2017 and that's only if FEMA sticks to their earliest schedule which figures the preliminary maps will take effect in Dec 2017.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:06 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,944,675 times
Hero --
No, I used chs' instructions. I've been on that FEMA site before, and it failed to impress me at that time also.

I may give Lisa a call. It's almost time for our Home Insurance review, which everyone should be doing every few years. Does Lisa's company also handle Home Insurance ?? I don't want to drop Flood Ins entirely, but I don't think I should be paying $500 a year based on a 22 year old map developed before the first street was laid down !!!

Old 09-21-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
Hero --
No, I used chs' instructions. I've been on that FEMA site before, and it failed to impress me at that time also.

I may give Lisa a call. It's almost time for our Home Insurance review, which everyone should be doing every few years. Does Lisa's company also handle Home Insurance ?? I don't want to drop Flood Ins entirely, but I don't think I should be paying $500 a year based on a 22 year old map developed before the first street was laid down !!!
Lisa only does flood insurance. I suspect that's one reason why she knows more about it than any other insurance person I've ever talked to. You sound pretty informed so you probably already know that the flood insurance rate is set by FEMA so that's one Insurance that's really not worth shopping around for

Old 09-21-2016, 02:44 PM

455 posts, read 669,367 times
Can't pull it up on any Apple products. Can't read the map on the PC. Can't enlarge to where it would make sense. Call into Agent. Two days later, no response. So far, a complete waste of time.
We are currently in an X, hopefully we'll stay there.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:59 PM

606 posts, read 730,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
It looks like our place is now less likely to flood because only the back corner of the back yard is in AE instead of the whole yard. Would that have any possible flood insurance implications?
Steve,

You'll need a good professional Surveyor to determine your home elevation in relation to the low corner that is in the AE zone. We initially were forced to have flood insurance in 2013 due to the FEMA regulations that now require all federally insured mortgage companies to comply. Basically if you get a mortgage on a home now and the property is even partially in SFHA you have to buy it or prove that you're home is elevated enough. In our case, our home structure is over 14' above Goose Creek Reservoir and above the FEMA elevation for this particular flood hazard.

Your Surveyor will need to apply for a "Letter of Map Amendment" in order for FEMA to deem the structure above the flood hazard enough to negate the potential of flooding. We got the LOMA from FEMA a couple months later and sent it to our mortgage company who then allowed us to cancel our flood policy AND they gave us a full refund of our insurance premium escrow payments. In all, it costs us $500 for the surveyor but saves us $800 a year in mandatory flood insurance. We can still buy flood insurance but the lowest level of our home was still 11 feet about the rising flood water last October.

PM me if you'd like the number of who we used for this process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area