Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 07:18 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,448,365 times

Advertisements

Post in here, the 2016 storm thread, you can get more opinions:

2016 Storm Watch

Matthew's US track is still uncertain, Charleston is not in the confirmed path, but keep a very close eye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 09:20 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,689,981 times
My girlfriend is coming on Wednesday. I'm hoping we are bypassed. I'm wanting to take her to the SC/GA game, but don't really want to sit in the rain for a couple hours.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:36 AM

12,912 posts, read 18,756,320 times
Didn't they recently upgrade Hugo to a 5? I was living in Columbia then, and even though the eye passed well east of Columbia with the city getting the weaker side of it after land had slowed it down, that was the longest night of my live, living alone in a detached garage apartment, with a howling breaker box on a pole right next to my bedroom window and rain beating against the living room window so hard that a little stream of water seeped underneath the window and made its way up over the sill, down the wall, and across the living room floor. It was scary.

Old 10-03-2016, 10:49 AM

Charleston Southern has moved their game from Saturday back to Thursday.

Charleston Southern moves football game to Thursday because of hurricane threat - Post and Courier

Old 10-03-2016, 10:53 AM

657 posts, read 738,852 times
New tracks have been pushing West, which is not ideal. Still a long way out for accurate predictions

Old 10-03-2016, 11:35 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,957,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Didn't they recently upgrade Hugo to a 5? I was living in Columbia then, and even though the eye passed well east of Columbia with the city getting the weaker side of it after land had slowed it down, that was the longest night of my live, living alone in a detached garage apartment, with a howling breaker box on a pole right next to my bedroom window and rain beating against the living room window so hard that a little stream of water seeped underneath the window and made its way up over the sill, down the wall, and across the living room floor. It was scary.
Hugo was a Cat 5 at one point but it made landfall as a cat 4

Old 10-03-2016, 06:28 PM

92 posts, read 83,679 times
Gulp, this looks it is going to hit Charleston. What do people do in these sorts of situations?

Old 10-03-2016, 07:17 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,957,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougalmanitou View Post
Gulp, this looks it is going to hit Charleston. What do people do in these sorts of situations?
I plan on sleeping in.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougalmanitou View Post
Step 1, don't overreact. On Wednesday they will know more. Until then, figure out your plan. Where you live, I personally wouldn't budge for a 2.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:22 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,009,330 times
I think for some of us rather than fear, it comes down to wanting to - or not - live without power or water, walk the dog in strong winds and rain, and then potentially have to evacuate or leave if the storm gets worse than we are comfortable with, in even worse conditions, on more crowded roads.

Just to be somewhat prepared, I called around to a few pet hotels @ Columbia since we need pet friendly. Within an hour, the hotel I was looking at went from rates of $106 to $161. Then I called for the cancellation policy since it wasn't on the website, and was told "it varies" depending on your dates. Seems to be some gouging going on (?).

For those of you who live in North MP, what is the evacuation route? We were on DI last year. I've seen signs pointing to 41 from 17. Is that the route? Then where from 41?

If the storm tracks West as some models show, does that mean that Columbia wouldn't be a good place to go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area